Poor quality control?

Post here items relating to Dapol.
Walkingthedog

Re: Poor quality control?

Post by Walkingthedog »

On the yellow one it is either a plastic plug that holds the bogie in place or you remove the cap and there’s a screw under it. Have you tried just pulling the bogie free?
Nurse, the screens!
GeoffAlan2

Post by GeoffAlan2 »

andruec wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:08 am I'm a novice and my track has only recently reached the point where I can run locos on DCC. I have three new DCC fitted diesels, bought November, finally got to use them and have found:

* One had a bent chassis pickup.
* Another had oil smeared on one of the pickups.
* The third has some kind of stain (looks like soot?) all over the pickups.

I've fixed the first two but the third is proving difficult.

Question one: Is this typical of Dapol quality?
Question two: How should I clean the dirty pickups. Isopropyl alcohol?

Not terribly impressed. The other Dapol I have is an HST and I know it runs fine on DC but I haven't fitted a decoder yet so don't know if it'll be fine on DCC. They were all bought through Hattons so I'm not sure whether Dapol fitted the decoders or if that was Hattons.
My experience of N gauge Dapol locomotives, especially Steam Loco's, is that they are very haphazardly constructed, a good one is great, a poor one needs returning for replacement, or refund, asap.
I have returned at least as many tender steam loco's as I've kept, 3 returned to 2 kept of the 9F, 3 returned and a refund for an attempted purchase of a grange, 2 returns and refunded for a Britannia*.

* I eventually found a Minitrix Brit' which, with new traction tyres, runs beautifully.
andruec

Post by andruec »

Walkingthedog wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:06 pm On the yellow one it is either a plastic plug that holds the bogie in place or you remove the cap and there’s a screw under it. Have you tried just pulling the bogie free?
The voice of experience!

Yes, it's just a plastic plug and pulling the bogie releases it. It also revealed that there is a chassis so I was able to separate the body from it and that allowed me to revel in the amazing coupling centering system. I've made a video:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2Y3UE1BuEvJBgt7KA

Even with the couplings hanging in the air that 'spring' does nothing. It even got stuck a couple of times. It might be possible to fit a better spring between the axel and the little nipple at the back but I doubt it. Maybe some strong glue just before the slot to try and force the arms of the 'spring' together?
andruec

Post by andruec »

For those who can't/won't watch the video here's an image of the top of the coupling.

Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Maybe a little lubrication would help. Not for you, the coupling.
Nurse, the screens!