Forum essential upgrade
The forum will be off line for a short while on Wednesday 3rd November 2021 from approx. 10:30 GMT to allow a PHP upgrade to occur.
Please ensure you have a note of your forum User Name and Password. You will probably be logged out by the upgrade!
Plus it may be helpful if you clear your web browser Cache, Cookies and History files before logging back in after the upgrade.

The Micro Model Railway Dispatch

Model railway or real railway books & magazines.
JimRead

The Micro Model Railway Dispatch

Post by JimRead »

Hello all,

A new e-magazine for anyone interested in Micro layouts

Issues; zero (preview) and number one
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ophuj2uvq82u ... 2zGka?dl=0

The editor Ian Holmes would be delighted to hear from anyone who has made or anyone considering making a micro layout, contact details in the Dispatch.

What is a micro layout?

The scenic section of a layout that is 3 or 4 sq ft or less regardless of scale. Just to make it absolutely clear the area of any fiddle yard(s) is not included.

Cheers - Jim
Mountain Goat

Re: The Micro Model Railway Dispatch

Post by Mountain Goat »

What in square feet would be a mini layout?
Enjoying freelance modelling in 7mm narrow gauge Feel free to ask questions relating to the Mountain Goats Waggon & Carriage Works thread.
JimRead

Post by JimRead »

Hello MG,

I don't recall a mention of the word Mini in relation to model railways
Carl Arendt did say that anything over 4 sq ft was a Small layout up to 4ft x 6ft
See: https://www.carendt.com/

Cheers - Jim
Chops

Post by Chops »

Thank you for letting us know. I am perpetually intrigued as to what can be done in a small space. I will be checking it out.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

This looks like a great magazine, especially for people like myself who like railway modelling in some spaces.
I have just ordered a photo plank from sms, it's 400 x 100mms. This is ideal for a coal yard I plan to build with a working loco.
I heard of read somewhere if your loco runs no matter how small it's classed as a layout.
Kevin 8-)
RogerB
Site Admin

Post by RogerB »

Kevin wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:49 pm if your loco runs no matter how small it's classed as a layout.
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Welcome. R-
All pets are therapy pets. Most are just working under cover.
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

Love the idea of a micro layout magazine. Very useful for people with minimum space and/or budgets. Allows them to realise an ambition to have a layout or gives others who fancy a change to get some ideas. We need micro layouts more regularly at exhibitions.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Bandit Mick wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:35 pm Love the idea of a micro layout magazine. Very useful for people with minimum space and/or budgets. Allows them to realise an ambition to have a layout or gives others who fancy a change to get some ideas. We need micro layouts more regularly at exhibitions.
I agree Mick.
Kevin 8-)
Chops

Post by Chops »

I was able to track Mr. Holmes down, he is looking for submissions, photos, articles. Presently he is in or about the Bering Sea on a cruise, but he says he is working on a second issue.
JimRead

Post by JimRead »

Hello all,

A couple of recent single line layouts;
O gauge :- Bude Quay :
https://www.google.com/search?q=bude+qu ... nt=gws-wiz
OO gauge :- Tyteford Halt : https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... ord-halte/

I took micro layouts to shows from 2010 to 2019 I can count on one hand how many others where there.

I started my micro blog/site in 2018 (link below) the views count just went over 25,000 so yes there is a lot more interest and mine is O Gauge. I think a OO one would do a lot better than that.

There is also YT, my channel is here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC72f9_ ... 8-tGW6t97g

With the last two years in mind and the cancellation of so many shows, more people can be reached online than any other way.

Cheers - Jim