Photos.

Questions about using the site
User avatar
RogerB
Site Admin
Posts: 956
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:17 pm
Location: Dorset
Contact:

Re: Photos.

#21

Post by RogerB » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:06 pm

It does look very good indeed. If anyone is looking for the Paint.net website to try the software it is here I tried searching on just that name and got a structural painting company in the USA. Paint.net is a Windows based product and is currently on a 50% discount for the next 4 days. £2.89. No idea if it's any good, but I'm going to give it a try. R-
Not sure if I have plenty of time on my hands - or I’ve simply forgotten to do something really important.

mijj

Re: Photos.

#22

Post by mijj » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:45 pm

Brian wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:58 pm
Hi MG.
its size is ok and a nice picture.
if any pic is uploaded it uses forum space, so smaller is always preferred and even better if its hosted off site in another photo hosting web site, like Flickr.
Seeing these posts has made me look at how I post images on forums. Today I am getting different results from last evening when I attempted a similar thing.
I (my sons mainly) have insulated and painted our single sized garage. OSB was used on the walls and thick ply (5/8") for the floor. Ex lounge carpet over that.
The photo's taken with a Fuji Finepix F31 of a south corner and a north corner (lower down it is a mess and phographs not allowed :lol: ).
The difference in size from the camera to 'save for online (requires a plug-in)' is large indeed. Hardly any difference between them is noticeable. Well not by me anyway.
The camera saves to a file some where between 2 or 3 MB.
The same shot saved (and resized for online posting) via irfanview (my favourite price) is typically 7 to 15 KB.
I did notice that although similar shots there was a MB difference in the camera files. If anybody can explain that latter point, I'd like to know.
Jim

IanAlan
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Photos.

#23

Post by IanAlan » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:13 pm

I know that I read the photo size limits somewhere on the forum, but I can't remember where. Could someone be kind enough to remind me. Many thanks, Ian Alan

Malcolm 0-6-0
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:48 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Photos.

#24

Post by Malcolm 0-6-0 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:22 pm

If it's any help I resize the image to approx. 230kb.

Most other forums I will resize to approx. 500 - 600 kb but on this forum that is rejected as excessive. Resizing to fit the forum is no problem.

User avatar
teedoubleudee
Posts: 327
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:53 pm
Location: Downham Market
Contact:

Re: Photos.

#25

Post by teedoubleudee » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:47 am

Malcolm 0-6-0 wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:22 pm
If it's any help I resize the image to approx. 230kb.

Most other forums I will resize to approx. 500 - 600 kb but on this forum that is rejected as excessive. Resizing to fit the forum is no problem.
I did some tests a couple of days ago and had to go down to under 200kb before it was accepted as an attachment. Problem then was it showed up postage stamp size. I deleted all my test posts immediately so as not to upset the admins!

I tried signing up for a Flickr account but opted out when they were asking far too much (IMO) access to data on my PC.
Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician

User avatar
Walkingthedog
Posts: 1535
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:51 pm
Location: HAZLEMERE, BUCKS.
Contact:

Re: Photos.

#26

Post by Walkingthedog » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:58 am

This is a test, in the correct place this time (hopefully). Seems OK.

IMG_1Nov2018at095624.jpg
IMG_1Nov2018at095624.jpg (100.2 KiB) Viewed 1648 times
Nurse, the screens!

User avatar
RogerB
Site Admin
Posts: 956
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:17 pm
Location: Dorset
Contact:

Re: Photos.

#27

Post by RogerB » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:02 am

Malcolm 0-6-0 wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:22 pm
I tried signing up for a Flickr account but opted out when they were asking far too much (IMO) access to data on my PC.
That's to allow you to download your images/videos. R-
Not sure if I have plenty of time on my hands - or I’ve simply forgotten to do something really important.

Malcolm 0-6-0
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:48 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Photos.

#28

Post by Malcolm 0-6-0 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:04 am

teedoubleudee wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:47 am
Malcolm 0-6-0 wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:22 pm
If it's any help I resize the image to approx. 230kb.

Most other forums I will resize to approx. 500 - 600 kb but on this forum that is rejected as excessive. Resizing to fit the forum is no problem.
I did some tests a couple of days ago and had to go down to under 200kb before it was accepted as an attachment. Problem then was it showed up postage stamp size. I deleted all my test posts immediately so as not to upset the admins!

I tried signing up for a Flickr account but opted out when they were asking far too much (IMO) access to data on my PC.
I'm uploading from my PC direct. The photos I take I normally resize down to 500 - 600 Kbs using Paint anyway so the extra bit of resizing is no problem. I just save the resized ones with a different name. I have an Imgur account which is free, but now that many forums are using the direct upload system I've switched to that.

If you cannot load directly from your device and need an outside hosting system then I suggest Imgur. It is like Photobucket used to be in the beginning before they went marketing mad and then decided to charge a premium for posting of images on other sites. I just walked away from them - I was only using PB for posting images that I already had stored either on my PC or on thumb drives so nothing was lost.

Malcolm 0-6-0
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:48 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Photos.

#29

Post by Malcolm 0-6-0 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:06 am

RogerB wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:02 am
Malcolm 0-6-0 wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:22 pm
I tried signing up for a Flickr account but opted out when they were asking far too much (IMO) access to data on my PC.
That's to allow you to download your images/videos. R-
That wasn't me Boss that was Teedoubleudee. ;)

User avatar
RogerB
Site Admin
Posts: 956
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:17 pm
Location: Dorset
Contact:

Re: Photos.

#30

Post by RogerB » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:17 am

Doh! Took out the wrong quote marks. I guess he'll see it though. R-
Not sure if I have plenty of time on my hands - or I’ve simply forgotten to do something really important.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests