Bachmann 0-6-0T ex.GWR no.6639

Here you can review a new or older model. Be honest in the review. Please observe the forum rules when posting. Especially item 7.
Post Reply
User avatar
Walkingthedog
Posts: 366
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:51 pm
Location: HAZLEMERE, BUCKS.
Contact:

Re: Bachmann 0-6-0T ex.GWR no.6639

#1

Post by Walkingthedog » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:14 pm

I have one of those and don’t have a derailing problem. I did have a problem with the front wagon being pulled off the track on curves but that seems to have stopped. Don’t know why.


Image
Nurse, the screens!

User avatar
Walkingthedog
Posts: 366
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:51 pm
Location: HAZLEMERE, BUCKS.
Contact:

Re: Bachmann 0-6-0T ex.GWR no.6639

#2

Post by Walkingthedog » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:38 pm

It floats. I have just checked it and although it floats it isn’t particularly loose.
Nurse, the screens!

Chops
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:11 am
Location: El Paso, Texas USA
Contact:

Re: Bachmann 0-6-0T ex.GWR no.6639

#3

Post by Chops » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:24 am

Terrific photo. Glad all is running well.

Malcolm 0-6-0
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:48 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Bachmann 0-6-0T ex.GWR no.6639

#4

Post by Malcolm 0-6-0 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:34 pm

I've got three. I have the Bachmann in the black BR livery which is very sweet running engine. Smooth and quite and very powerful.

I also have two of its Mainline predecessors in the green GWR livery which I bought secondhand with faulty or non-existent pancake motors. I fixed both; the first by installing a replacement spare motor and the other by replacing the springs and brushes and they ran well but were derailing on one particular curve - I traced the problem to the rear wheel set which is radially mounted. On the Mainline examples there isn't enough play built into the rear truck axle mounting so I checked the Bachmann version and discovered that Bachmann also had found the same problem and fixed it by giving that two wheel radial axle more room to move in curves.

So I removed the axle and wheels from the Mainline examples and enlarged the holes which allows the axle to have more lateral play. Simple and effective and brought the two cheap faulty locomotives with their replaced and re brushed motors up to the running standard of the Bachmann product. No more derailing.

Considering the new Bachmann cost me well over $AU200 while the secondhand Mainline examples were combined about $AU60 I reckon I came out ahead.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest