Wykeham - Somewhere in the south!

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
Walkingthedog

Re: Wykeham - Somewhere in the south!

Post by Walkingthedog »

Nice to work somewhere a bit special. I suppose my place of work was "different".
Nurse, the screens!
RSR Engineer

Post by RSR Engineer »

Wykeham looks a very nice town. What are house prices like?

Cheers,
Artur
Roger O

Post by Roger O »

Always wondered what Lincoln’s inn looked like ,read a lot about it in my favourite book series the shardlake novels by CJ SANSOM. Very impressive place
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

RSR Engineer wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:08 am Wykeham looks a very nice town. What are house prices like?

Cheers,
Artur
Hi Artur

Wykeham is named after my road, and if I recall correctly the name comes from William of Wykeham who was the Bishop of Winchester in the 1300's. There is a Wickham (different spelling) between Southampton and Portsmouth. Being in the south of England - property is expensive. :) Barry
Last edited by bulleidboy on Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
The dumbest thing I've ever purchased was a 2020 planner!!
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Roger O wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:13 am Always wondered what Lincoln’s inn looked like ,read a lot about it in my favourite book series the shardlake novels by CJ SANSOM. Very impressive place
If your ever in the vicinity Roger it's worth a walk round. I started work in Lincoln's Inn in 1962 - and I swear life was little different then from Dickensian times - no hot water - outside toilets - coal fires etc. It is open to the public Mon-Fri., but there is only one vehicular entrance (that's used) and the guy on the gate would only let you in at weekends if you had business. There are a lot of good pictures on Google Images. Barry

PS: We have a centenary coming up - my father started work in Lincolns Inn in 1921 until he died in 1976, I worked 1962-until 2004 (then moved to Gray's Inn) and both my sons worked in Lincoln's Inn - and one still does. So in 2021 the family will have worked in Lincoln's Inn for one hundred years (with exception to the war years).
Carl L

Post by Carl L »

bulleidboy wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:37 pm I've often been accused of being too tidy when it comes to modelling - well in fitting lights to buildings means I have to get under the boards, which meant moving a bookcase etc. At this moment I do not have room to move :cry:

ImageIMG_0785 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
Well if that isn't tidy I don't know what is, you should see the shed when I start, and with most of the layout being just track, everything just gets dumped on the layout. I then waste the odd hour or so tidying up.

I like your whole set up, nice sized operating space in the middle (be good to see a shot of the whole set up).

As others have said, the lighting in superb. So I don't go off on the wrong track (no pun intended) what size/colour LED's have you used (apologies is this is in a previous post)?

Regards
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Hi Carl

I use these in the buildings - or something very similar. Mine came in a pack of 12 (I think). For the platform lamps I found a pre-wired LED where the bulb was less than 1mm sq. They were only 3v so needed a resistor wired into the power supply to each bulb. Barry/BB

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pre-Wired-35 ... SwZgxbee4N

These are the very small LED's - I cannot find them on ebay at the moment - they were about £5 for twenty.

ImageIMG_0790 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
Last edited by bulleidboy on Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
RSR Engineer

Post by RSR Engineer »

bulleidboy wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:23 am
RSR Engineer wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:08 am Wykeham looks a very nice town. What are house prices like?

Cheers,
Artur
Hi Artur

Wykeham is named after my road, and if I recall correctly the name comes from William of Wykeham who was the Bishop of Winchester in the 1300's. There is a Wickham (different spelling) between Southampton and Portsmouth. Being in the south of England - property is expensive. :) Barry
Thanks for that info, Barry. I think I'll stay in Germany.

Cheers,
Artur
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

Love your lit up department store. The bloke looking out is fab.
Carl L

Post by Carl L »

Thanks for the info Barry,

and feeling guilt I'm having a tidy, still looks like a tip!