Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Specific Gauge Topics > OO Scale

OO Scale OO model railway topics

Old 12-08-2017, 06:18 PM   #11
4VEP
Hornby Collector

4VEP is on a distinguished road

I have a live steam set.

Things you need to know:

1. The controller must be connected to the track using the special connecting lead and special track connector supplied.

2. The loco gets extremely hot and is too hot to handle without the supplied gloves.

3. You have to be careful not to add too much oil.

4. Do not overfill with water. Use a measured amount and don't add water till the boiler overflows.

5. The LED in the cab glows red when steam is not going to the cylinders. The LED glows green when the loco is running. Leaving it on red will waste all the steam.

6. You can steam up from cold on green and the loco will ģo off by itself when it has enough pressure.

7. Switching to red at the end of the session will let the last steam out of the boiler before storing the loco.

8. If it goes seriously wrong you can send it to Hornby for repair. You have to email them and they can send you a special box.

9. If it goes slightly wrong, you can service it yourself. This might only involve tightening a screw.

10. Do not stop the loco on points or plastic bridges etc - the extreme heat may affect the plastic.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:37 PM   #12
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine ran fine. After I sold it, the new owner didnt seem to get the hang of running it. However, he loved it. After a while he did need to buy some spare washers as he said the filler tap for the boiler had broken its washer. (Hence why I mentioned one needs to keep spares in mind).
The last time he tried it it didnt work but at the time I didnt have time to look further. I wanted to check power was going to the track as when I first had it, it didnt at firs until I found one of the plug in leads to the controller or transformer needed taking out and plunging in again and all went fine. Only issue is that he then has not run it as he was moving house. Since then his trains have not been back from the house move. I did say I would look if he gets them out. Not sure what it is yet. I guess it is something electrical as the brief look I did have was that it was not ceased and held pressure when I revolved the wheels.
He also has other trains up his attic. I dont think he has looked at them either since he has moved.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 12:35 PM   #13
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Just like to add something regarding the Hornby live steam sets. The instructions are way out when it comes to the control of the locomotive and the green or red light. Ignore Hornby instructions regarding this feature.
Also dont run the trains on a table top. Run them on the floor. Why? Well, the loco can easily take off at speed. I would not normally say to run on the floor, but with these locos I will say it is much safer! Yes, one needs to check for hairs that can get entangled, especially as the loco tends to get oily. I wouldn't run them on a layout without protective edges or a table as one is almost guaranteed the thing will leap off and come crashing down below.
I found the best way to run them is with a rake of at least eight bogie coaches behind it. It shoots off far to fast without it. You will need the heat protective gloves provided! The other thing is on the first few runs (And is good practice to check before each run) check the tightness of the crankpins of the wheels. They can easily work lose due to the loco wheels being powered through real pistons.
Other then that, they are a lot of fun!
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 10:05 AM   #14
RAFHAAA96
Trying-hard-to-re Member

RAFHAAA96 is on a distinguished road

John
Many people recommend learning to drive live steam on the rolling road then when it takes off it won't if you see what I mean?
Rob
Old 15-08-2017, 11:04 AM   #15
Footplate1947

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

After reading all the pros and cons of the Hornby live steam has given me food for thought. Do not handle it with out gloves supplied. It can be so hot it may damage points etc; if the loco is stopped. It can also damage scenic stuff along the track unless protected. The control is is very difficult and unreliable which was obvious when I was watching them being demonstrated. Even the experts were having trouble.
That all explained why, when ever I have seen the steam locos demonstrated they have been on a board with nothing but track on it. So nothing to damage.
I don't think I would like to use a live steamer on my layout and spoil all the hard work time spent on it. The Hornby steamers seem to me to be an interesting toy. Not suitable for a detailed layout They need to be used on separate track devoted to them.
I have in the cupboard my old Fire Uniform with heat proof gloves the lot, if anyone is interested please PM me.....John
Old 15-08-2017, 03:03 PM   #16
sid

sid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footplate1947 View Post
After reading all the pros and cons of the Hornby live steam has given me food for thought. Do not handle it with out gloves supplied. It can be so hot it may damage points etc; if the loco is stopped. It can also damage scenic stuff along the track unless protected. The control is is very difficult and unreliable which was obvious when I was watching them being demonstrated. Even the experts were having trouble.
That all explained why, when ever I have seen the steam locos demonstrated they have been on a board with nothing but track on it. So nothing to damage.
I don't think I would like to use a live steamer on my layout and spoil all the hard work time spent on it. The Hornby steamers seem to me to be an interesting toy. Not suitable for a detailed layout They need to be used on separate track devoted to them.
I have in the cupboard my old Fire Uniform with heat proof gloves the lot, if anyone is interested please PM me.....John
I don't agree with Footplate1947 as I have 3 of them and ran them around a layout with out any damage to the layout or scenics and I had perfect control of the engine in both directions. If I was offered one at the right price I would add it to my collection to be used. Go to the Hornby live steam club forum as they have all the info on how to run them.
sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 04:21 PM   #17
Footplate1947

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

Only going buy all the other comments posted on here so they all must be wrong. Like everything else One mans meat is another mans poison.
If you like it, then do it. Too many conns for my liking though. Dont shoot the messenger.
John
Old 15-08-2017, 06:44 PM   #18
4VEP
Hornby Collector

4VEP is on a distinguished road

Whats quite good about live steam is the smell of burning oil which gives the layout some atmosphere. If you want a stinky smelly layout room, live steam is the way to go.

I ran my live steam set on my layout and not on the floor. However I used a separate track which would get very oily. This track doubled up as a DC circuit on an otherwise DCC layout.

With a live steam set you get a large and heavy controller and a large and heavy transformer. I was forced to have these on the floor. The main thing is to possess the controller. Once you have this you can get another loco at a lower cost. With more than one loco, things get interesting.

I think the logic for generating steam to pressure from electricity is the weakness of Hornby Live Steam. I think it would be better if a small amount of coal and water was heated and steam released through the cylinders to make a chuff, the loco being part powered by an electric motor. What do you think?