Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Baseboards

Baseboards All posts regarding baseboard construction

Old 19-01-2017, 01:42 PM   #71
Mr Bones
Privateer

Mr Bones is an unknown quantity at this point

Going back to the options for the door. It seems to me that a stable door would be ideal. You can get some very nice internal ones now and no you don't need a horse!

It would mean that if the baseboard was below the level of the top section it could be opened whilst the bottom section stayed closed.

If the worst happened and someone was stuck in the room anyone could lean over the bottom section, raise the baseboard, throw the bolt and enter.

If you really did want privacy the top and bottom section can be bolted together. Seems easier than a sliding door. That's my ten pennies worth....
Old 19-01-2017, 02:32 PM   #72
Steve M
Monkey Puzzler

Steve M is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthedog View Post
Steve, quick off topic, take a look at Johns address on Google Earth, fantastic place to live.
First thing I did when he sent it.
Sadly, my dreams of moving to warmer climes (current French temps excluded) just took a knock - first grandchild born yesterday morning. There's no way SWMBO will go more than five bloody miles now.
And I'm fitting an extra bolt on the inside of the shed door.
Old 19-01-2017, 10:53 PM   #73
The Duke

The Duke is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bones View Post
Going back to the options for the door. It seems to me that a stable door would be ideal. You can get some very nice internal ones now and no you don't need a horse!

It would mean that if the baseboard was below the level of the top section it could be opened whilst the bottom section stayed closed.

If the worst happened and someone was stuck in the room anyone could lean over the bottom section, raise the baseboard, throw the bolt and enter.

If you really did want privacy the top and bottom section can be bolted together. Seems easier than a sliding door. That's my ten pennies worth....
Never thought about a stable door. I thought you only got them as house doors in America. Glad I don't have to get a horse. it would want to sleep at the bottom of my bed and I'd have flat crushed legs in the morning
I was looking at a you tube video of a small layout called Brockwell Lane and I thought if he could have such a small layout and make it work I can have something great with my space. he also has updates where he put up a great backdrop which changed the layout quite considerably.

https://youtu.be/6KBe3HgnbFM
https://youtu.be/Kl5QhcfstdQ
Finally got round to downloading Scarm and I'm going to watch some tutorial videos on you tube.

Last edited by The Duke; 19-01-2017 at 11:04 PM.
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 02:32 AM   #74
peep peep!

peep peep! is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
I had an idea that I may be able to use the old kitchen cabinet carcases when we have the kitchen done which would save me some wood. I also thought 100cm as the height of the baseboard to be a comfortable height but the kitchen cabinets are 90cm. I don't know what features I can or can't include in this size of layout so my thinking cap is going to be worn out. Any sugestions would be most welcomed.

Attachment 13302
I too will use some kitchen cabs. Wickes do screw-in legs that will raise them up, I have used the 6" fella's to raise a hi-fi system to great effect. A bit pricey but very effective, especially with spinny feet (please excuse the technical parlance) to get everything bob on square. Maybe to be found cheaper elsewhere. A small application of carpentry bodgery would do the same, you could just fit a removable kick panel to hide the empty rolling stock boxes.
peep peep! is offline   Reply With Quote