Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Specific Gauge Topics > OO Scale

OO Scale OO model railway topics

Old 12-10-2017, 02:57 PM   #1
Cudworth

Cudworth is on a distinguished road
Default R3606 'Brighton Belle' with different couplings

Hornby has announced a revised version of the Brighton Belle is to be made available by mid 2018 as a 5 car train pack for 398.99.

The 4 prong power couplings on the original model have been replaced with standard NEM couplings. This means the table lamps will have to take power directly from the track instead of from the decoder.

However it might be that cars from this set could be used to make up another pullman train.

Comments?
Cudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:42 PM   #2
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Tinker is on a distinguished road

Nothing wrong with the way this one works.....

http://www.hattons.co.uk/21225/Bachm...ockDetail.aspx
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:07 PM   #3
Bulleidboy

Bulleidboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudworth View Post
Hornby has announced a revised version of the Brighton Belle is to be made available by mid 2018 as a 5 car train pack for 398.99.

The 4 prong power couplings on the original model have been replaced with standard NEM couplings. This means the table lamps will have to take power directly from the track instead of from the decoder.

However it might be that cars from this set could be used to make up another pullman train.

Comments?
I hadn't thought about the use of the new Hornby 2018 Brighton Belle coaches in a modern day "special" - steam hauled. The BB carriages were a different shape to the "standard"(?) Pullman coaches, with the body tapering towards the roof. Two were used on the Belmond British Pullman (they are now with the Brighton Belle project), and if you get the angle right as it goes past you can spot the difference. As the new carriages will have NEM couplings, you could slot them in anywhere amongst other Pullman coaches.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:33 PM   #4
yelrow

yelrow is an unknown quantity at this point

I have Brighton belle, 5 car N gauge, 5 car Blue 00, and 2 car brown/ cream. The beauty of these are the couplings. They are bought and supplied as a set. Why on earth, would anyone wish to mix and match. john
yelrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:16 PM   #5
4VEP
Hornby Collector

4VEP is on a distinguished road

I think if you have the original version then you won't be able to add extra carriages from the new version.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:49 PM   #6
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

One could always add tiny plugs and sockets if needed. Having said that, it is nice to have some sort of ready made coupling with electrical contact. I personally have a dislike for NEM but I do like the predecessor in one can screw on a coupling with the central screw and the two pin formations. The reason why I dont like NEM is I find there is too much flex at the coupling face itself, and the things tend to fall out off the locos with the triangular bit they push into. I usually need to glue the things, which is not ideal if one breaks one at the weak flexible point of the design.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:39 AM   #7
yelrow

You certainly wont be able to mix and match, in my view. I travelled daily on this train for 9 years, hence my love of it, and it was for that reason i bought the 2 5 car sets. My layout is not big enough to run the 10 car train. In the case of the Arnold one, you have to join it before placing on the track. Tis kinda fiddely. john
Old 11-11-2017, 02:09 PM   #8
Bulleidboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelrow View Post
I have Brighton belle, 5 car N gauge, 5 car Blue 00, and 2 car brown/ cream. The beauty of these are the couplings. They are bought and supplied as a set. Why on earth, would anyone wish to mix and match. john
Hi John - The only reason you would want to mix and match with coaches from the new 2018 set (NEM couplings), is that if you were running a modern day layout, but had the occasional "steam special" using Pullman carriages, you would now be able to use a couple of BB coaches, as had been used on the Belmond British Pullman trains until recently. Barry
Old 11-11-2017, 02:42 PM   #9
yelrow

Hi. Barry, yup, accept that, but it would of course have to be with the new ones, would it not. john
Old 11-11-2017, 06:24 PM   #10
Bulleidboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelrow View Post
Hi. Barry, yup, accept that, but it would of course have to be with the new ones, would it not. john
That's right John. Like you I have both the 1934 and 1960 Brighton Belle's in choc/cream, but they've never been out of their boxes. In fact one set is still in "factory" shrink wrap.