Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Product Review

Product Review A place to give open and honest reviews of new or older model railway related products. Please observe forum rule 6 when posting.

Old 20-06-2018, 10:45 AM   #1
pgcroc1
pgcroc

pgcroc1 is on a distinguished road
Default NCE Switch8Mk2 decoder

Hi All
I am in the process of designing my layout and was looking at accessory decoders.
I have decided to use Tortoise motors.
Has anybody had any experience with the NCE Switch8Mk2 decoder?
It seems to be simple to wire up and can manage 8 points.
I have 29 points so far.
Thanks
Pete
pgcroc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 11:13 AM   #2
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

Why not use Cobalt Digital motors with the decoder built in?
Old 20-06-2018, 11:55 AM   #3
pgcroc1
pgcroc

Thanks Teedoubleudee
I had been searching the internet, as you do, for info on this.
There appears to be a thought that Colbalt motors are a bit more noisy but Tortoise are much quieter. Could this be true?
The cost of 24 Cobalt motors is 500 and 24 Tortoise motors and 3 decoders is 518 so not a lot in it! (Numbers just picked off the internet at random).
As 500+ is a 'fair wodge of dosh' I would like to get it right first time.
Cheers
Pete
Old 20-06-2018, 12:32 PM   #4
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgcroc1 View Post
Thanks Teedoubleudee
I had been searching the internet, as you do, for info on this.
There appears to be a thought that Colbalt motors are a bit more noisy but Tortoise are much quieter. Could this be true?
The cost of 24 Cobalt motors is 500 and 24 Tortoise motors and 3 decoders is 518 so not a lot in it! (Numbers just picked off the internet at random).
As 500+ is a 'fair wodge of dosh' I would like to get it right first time.
Cheers
Pete
Box of 12 from Hattons 200 plus postage
Old 20-06-2018, 12:43 PM   #5
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Tinker is on a distinguished road

Hi Pete, i have around 60 Cobalts and while a couple are noisy a bit of grease cures this, can't comment on the Tortoise PM's cost varies, the link here will normally give next day delivery and a tenner cheaper than Hattons, and Kevin at Coastal knows the product inside out, he is very helpful....

https://www.coastaldcc.co.uk/product...int-motor-12pk
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 01:38 PM   #6
pgcroc1
pgcroc

Thanks Tinker
As the layout has not been built yet, (only in my head and in SCARM), I will think about it.
I am aboard at the moment, back in the UK on the 29th June.
There is a local model railway club near me which I shall visit. There is probably a good chance that they have one or the other, hopefully both, so I can look and hear them.
Cheers
Pete
Old 20-06-2018, 03:34 PM   #7
RFS

RFS is on a distinguished road

Tortoises have been around a long time and have established a reputation for ruggedness and reliability. Cobalts have been around for around 5 years but are already into their 3rd design, and have yet to establish their reliability fully.

I have 60 Tortoises operated by NCE Switch8s (both MK1 and MK2 versions) and all work perfectly. If you go down this route then use the MK2 version as it has a number of improvements, one of which being that you can use an external DC power supply so that it doesn't take power from the bus.

The Switch8s will also work two turnouts forming a crossover, whereas with the Cobalt Digital you end up paying for two decoders.
Old 20-06-2018, 04:05 PM   #8
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

Tortoise motors seem to be in short supply in most places.
Old 20-06-2018, 04:16 PM   #9
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Tinker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFS View Post
Tortoises have been around a long time and have established a reputation for ruggedness and reliability. Cobalts have been around for around 5 years but are already into their 3rd design, and have yet to establish their reliability fully.

I have 60 Tortoises operated by NCE Switch8s (both MK1 and MK2 versions) and all work perfectly. If you go down this route then use the MK2 version as it has a number of improvements, one of which being that you can use an external DC power supply so that it doesn't take power from the bus.

The Switch8s will also work two turnouts forming a crossover, whereas with the Cobalt Digital you end up paying for two decoders.
I may have read it wrong, but Cobalts take there power from the DCC track, if 2 form a crossover with 2 sets of points or a double slip with 2 pm's giving the Cobalt's the same digital number allows them both to change via the handset, or use a DPDT switch and use the built in connections to change them together, power used by in my case 60 Cobalts taking power from the DCC bus plus running 4 modern trains, the Ramp Meter doesn't go over 2 amps with my power supplied by a SB5 5 amp unit.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 04:36 PM   #10
RFS

RFS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
I may have read it wrong, but Cobalts take there power from the DCC track, if 2 form a crossover with 2 sets of points or a double slip with 2 pm's giving the Cobalt's the same digital number allows them both to change via the handset, or use a DPDT switch and use the built in connections to change them together, power used by in my case 60 Cobalts taking power from the DCC bus plus running 4 modern trains, the Ramp Meter doesn't go over 2 amps with my power supplied by a SB5 5 amp unit.

So does the NCE Switch8. But you're buying two motors which each have an accessory decoder, whereas with the Tortoise you only need one port in the Switch8.

I have my Tortoises and Switch8s on a separate DCC bus, so that if there's a track short I can still change turnouts.