Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Wiring & Electronics

Old 10-09-2017, 01:38 PM   #1
BigTed

BigTed is on a distinguished road
Default Wiring a switch panel to the CDU

Hi,

I'm making progress and now have built a simple point switch panel, which is effectively a bunch of on-off-on switches drilled through a piece of wood with a piece of paper stuck to it.

I'm now going to wire up the back of the switches.

I have one cable coming from the CDU and it needs to go through each of the switches.

I'm just wondering what the best way to do this is?

Use separate bits of wire, each connected to the power in node on a switch? So each little node would effectively have 2 bits of wire soldered to it, one in, one out.

Just use one length of cable and expose a bit of cable using a splicing tool at each switch, solder the exposed bit of cable to the node on the switch and just continue the cable around all the switches?

Solder two bits of cable together then solder the joint to the node on the switch?

Would all of those just achieve the same thing anyway?
BigTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:59 PM   #2
Teedoubleudee

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

Ted, like you say, any of these option would put a common output from your CDU, my preferred method would be a single wire linked to each one, best for neatness.

Before you go ahead though, I'm a little worried by your term of on/off/on switch. If these are to control solenoid point motors which I assume is the case as you mention the CDU, the switches must be the spring loaded type that go back to off when released. Not the sort that require a separate action for making and breaking. Please confirm this the case before you wire up.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:13 PM   #3
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Tinker is on a distinguished road

From memory Ted the CDU won't recharge until the switch goes back the center that's the reason for the toggle type they just need a quick flick....can't be left on..
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:53 PM   #4
BigTed

BigTed is on a distinguished road

Thanks fellas. All switches are sprung. They fall back to the middle when you let go.

Thanks for your concern!
BigTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:57 PM   #5
Teedoubleudee

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTed View Post
Thanks fellas. All switches are sprung. They fall back to the middle when you let go.

Thanks for your concern!
No probs, don't want to see you having to do the job twice!
Old 10-09-2017, 05:31 PM   #6
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

(CDU = capacitor discharge unit).

To simplify, one wire output from CDU fans to supply the switch central terminal and the other switch terminal goes to the two solenoids of each point motor coil.
The other wire from the CDU joins together all the opposite terminals of each coil on each point motor.

Notes for anyone reading this who is new to this.

The switches need to be a type which do not stay in the on position. They need to be a (On)Off(On) type of switch. Do not get On Off On switches that will stay in the on position.

One can use studs and a probe instead of switches. The studs can be screws, nails or bolts in a control panel where wires are soldered or fixed to the underside of the panel with the screw/bolt/nail head is slightly sticking out the surface of the panel so a "Probe" which could be a nail or something one can solder a wire to which one dabs the probe for a brief moment onto the head of the nail/screw/bolt to make an electrical contact.

A CDU is not actually needed but is a good idea. What it does is to charge up the current into capacitors which release it in a sudden burst which will give a little boost to the point solenoid. It also can prevent solenoid burnout by people who may not realise that a switch or probe only need a brief contact to throw the point.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote