Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Wiring & Electronics > DCC

Old 04-07-2018, 10:38 PM   #1
ScottC

ScottC is on a distinguished road
Default Class 158 & 221 Conversion

Evening all,

I've been trying to get my head around the conversion of my Bachmann Class 158 and 221 to DCC. As the 158 is a 2 car DMU and the 221 a 5 car DMU, I understand that to get the lighting working correctly at either end, I will either need to run cables through the body to wire it to the main motor decoder, or install another decoder purely for lighting in the 'dummy' cars.

I've seen the guide online from Bromsgrove Models and it mentions the TCS FL2 as the decoder to use just for the lighting.

My confusion is that I will be using a Lenz Standard+ V2 as the main decoder, so would I need to use another Lenz decoder just to run the lighting in the 'dummy' cars?

The TCS decoder says it's a Lighting Function only decoder, however i've been searching on the Rails of Sheffield website for similar but don't really know what i'm looking for - it just shows 4 function decoders etc. The only reason I mention RofS, is because I am about to order a bit of stuff from there (again) so would be nice to do it all it one hit, from one place.

Just to add, I would much prefer to get the lighting working properly using decoders rather than running wires through the models as I don't want to be hacking away anything or ruining the aesthetics.

Thanks a lot.

Scott.
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:48 PM   #2
Steve M
Contrarian

Steve M is on a distinguished road

Is this any help?

http://s374444733.websitehome.co.uk/class-158/index.htm
Old 04-07-2018, 11:11 PM   #3
Bunkerbarge

Bunkerbarge is on a distinguished road

Just a couple of thoughts that your message prompted.

Firstly I understand you do not want to run a cable through the cars to enable the main decoder to operate the lights in all the cars. However to avoid that, if you are thinking of a five car DMU. you will need four additional decoders for the lights in each car. and that means four addresses in your controller to operate them.

Secondly, and this is where we need more expertise than I can offer, if you want to operate the directional lights from the motor then you will have to connect those lamps to the main decoder, unles you want to manually operate them when the train changes direction.

I suspect that the installation would be made much easier by using a single decoder operating the motor and the lighting, both directional and internal.

I don't think compatibility of the decoders is an issue as they are effectively seperate and doing thier own seperate thing anyway.

If you add corridor connector bellows would it not be easiest to pass a couple of wires through them to keep them out of sight?
Bunkerbarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:11 PM   #4
ScottC

Not really Steve, but thanks for link.

I probably didn’t explain it well but I don’t really know what a Fuction Only decoder is and ultimately which one to buy? I guess I could buy the TCS one but wondered if it would work with the Lenz decoder I will have running the motor and also if there was a cheaper decoder available that would do the job as the TCS ones are about £20 each. The Lenz ones I’m using for my locos are £18 each.

Scott.

Last edited by ScottC; 04-07-2018 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:16 PM   #5
ScottC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkerbarge View Post
Just a couple of thoughts that your message prompted.

Firstly I understand you do not want to run a cable through the cars to enable the main decoder to operate the lights in all the cars.
On my model there are no internal lights, just direction lights at each end and the power car sits in the middle.

Iíd rather not run cables through if it can be helped. From what I read and undrstood, if connect decoders in each power car, I can address them all the same so when I select forward or reverse the lights at each end change accordingly. I may be wrong but if thatís correct, thatís how Iíd prefer to do it.

Scott.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:35 PM   #6
Bunkerbarge

To be certain I would have a chat with someone who knows what they are talking about such as DCCConcepts or Digitrains.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:06 AM   #7
Mr Bones
Privateer

Mr Bones is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum Scott. You are correct. All the decoders would have the same address. They also don't need to be matching decoders.

Last edited by Mr Bones; 05-07-2018 at 07:08 AM.
Mr Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:11 AM   #8
Bunkerbarge

I'm glad you asked, I've learned something as well.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:58 AM   #9
BromsMods

BromsMods is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC View Post

I probably didnít explain it well but I donít really know what a Fuction Only decoder is and ultimately which one to buy? I guess I could buy the TCS one but wondered if it would work with the Lenz decoder I will have running the motor and also if there was a cheaper decoder available that would do the job as the TCS ones are about £20 each. The Lenz ones Iím using for my locos are £18 each.
Hi Scott

A Function Only decoder is just that, it controls functions only (such as lighting) and has no ability to control/drive a motor.

Any old 2 function decoder (not just function only) will work the lighting in the trailer car so you can buy as cheap as you like as you won't have to worry about the quality of motor control. You can also use an old motor decoder.

The fitting guides on the Bromsgrove Models site are just that, guides. They aim to show a technique for installing a decoder in a particular model and whilst a specific decoder has been used it is only an example, whilst also pointing out some of the issues you might come across when fitting a decoder. Many modellers have their own prefered brand of decoder, whether that be for quality or consistency, so the guides are not suggesting any particular decoder for exclusivity.

I hope that helps a little.
BromsMods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:01 AM   #10
chris_db4

chris_db4 is on a distinguished road

With the two decoders fitted with the same address there is one final item to consider. That is to make sure that forward is the same and therefore the correct lights show in the tail. If both are wired up the same then both ends will show white when fwd is selected.

This can be sorted by either altering the value of CV29 on the tail so that it puts the reverse direction to what the fwd one is.
Or the LED's are fitted wired the other way which is how it is done for a lights at each end of an engine see internet sourced picture for the wiring example
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3ecb10bd20ae7f68ab278f2a17b6dd87.jpg (54.9 KB, 5 views)
chris_db4 is offline   Reply With Quote