Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Wiring & Electronics > DCC

Old 25-06-2018, 12:31 AM   #11
amdaley

amdaley is on a distinguished road

Agreed with everyone who has suggested droppers on every piece of track.
amdaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 07:48 PM   #12
TimberSurf
Webmaster/Modelapprentice

TimberSurf is on a distinguished road

This question comes up frequently and causes confusion, one bunch advocates going nuts with droppers and, as Cudworth says, others chime in with " I have been running with a single connection for 30 years and never had a problem!", which makes a mockery of the first!

It's really down to some extremes, that do need something and personal preference. (risk)

A full explanation and guidance can be found here

Gauge = OO ¶ Controller = NCE ¶ Points = Servo ¶ Block control = TBA ¶ Lighting = USB from PC ¶ Locos = 50+ ¶ Wagons = 1,200+
TimberSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 07:59 PM   #13
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberSurf View Post
This question comes up frequently and causes confusion, one bunch advocates going nuts with droppers and, as Cudworth says, others chime in with " I have been running with a single connection for 30 years and never had a problem!", which makes a mockery of the first!

It's really down to some extremes, that do need something and personal preference. (risk)

The link talks of a bus when using DCC but IMHO it is just as important to eliminate problems with volts drop and poor fish plate continuity on a DC layout.
Old 25-06-2018, 08:09 PM   #14
brian1951
Super Moderator

brian1951 is on a distinguished road

Using a bus with plenty of droppers eliminates problems with fishplate connections entirely. Dc or Dcc.
brian1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 09:27 PM   #15
Bunkerbarge

Bunkerbarge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberSurf View Post

Sorry but I have to disagree, nothing is made a mockery of at all.

It is all about what level of risk of a failure that you are prepared to accept. There are many modellers out there with a single feed to a layout that rely on the joints to supply the track and have no problems. However they may also have overheating joints and locomotives not running as efficiently as they could be without even knowing it, but lets assume for now they have no problems.

If all thier joints are easily accesible and they are happy to accept the fact that replacing fishplates/cleaning track ends etc is not too much of a hardship then they may well decide that fitting droppers to every piece of track is overkill.

Most of us however tend towards the angle of removing any risk of power supply drop issues completely and there is no doubt about it and no discussion against it that fitting a power supply to every piece of track will reduce the risk of challenges to the absolute minimum. Most of us with difficult to lift track who do not want to start cleaning joints or replacing fishplates are more than happy to put the extra time into the build to minimise the possible risk of work afterwards.

As with most things it is up to us to decide what works best for us, what level of risk we are happy to accept and how we want to go about our builds. We all manage our own risks in our own way, but there is certainly no making a mockery of anything.

Last edited by Bunkerbarge; 25-06-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Bunkerbarge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 09:35 PM   #16
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

My two circuits of about 30 ish feet each have four power feeds each. Everything runs perfectly and has for many years. When the layout was in the loft it was much bigger and had 3 feeds each. DC of course.

Think if I were to start again I might add more but not one each section.
Old 25-06-2018, 10:37 PM   #17
Bulleidboy

Bulleidboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdaley View Post
Agreed with everyone who has suggested droppers on every piece of track.
I agree - that's what I did.
Old 25-06-2018, 10:40 PM   #18
TimberSurf
Webmaster/Modelapprentice

TimberSurf is on a distinguished road

Teedoubleudee, you are correct, I have not mentioned DC (might have to add a few words) and it is just as applicable to apply "a BUS" to eliminate fishplate issues, but no so relevant for things like accessories (so needs some caveats)

Bunkerbarge, what you have written in your last post is very elegantly put (apart from the mockery dig). But I feel you miss the point. As a beginner, asking the question, if the knee jerk reaction off all responses, is to fit droppers to every smidgen of track, although very sound and good advice, it is only the opinion of the masses. As per your longer response, it should be tainted with the amount of extra effort that may take, and the net benefits vs risk of failure (and ensuing difficulty to diagnose/repair)
It is easy to believe if all answers reiterate masses of droppers, that that is the only way. As iterated by many in this thread, in practice (if your lucky), very few problems may, actually occur, with very few connections, in a long time!
Thus there is a sliding balance that must be determined by the individual between effort and benefit (de-risk) that is not immediately apparent if most responses are biased toward the max!

Gauge = OO ¶ Controller = NCE ¶ Points = Servo ¶ Block control = TBA ¶ Lighting = USB from PC ¶ Locos = 50+ ¶ Wagons = 1,200+
TimberSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 11:05 PM   #19
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

I guess the amount of power feed you have depends on how often you like to change your layout. Some people are always moving the track. My friend had a big layout in a shed and I never knew what to expect when I went there. Me, I hardly change mine at all, maybe move a set of points.
Old 25-06-2018, 11:19 PM   #20
Steve M
Carcharodon carcharias

Steve M is on a distinguished road

Iím always changing bits on my layout and still have droppers on all track sections.

I believe the advice to put droppers on every section is well founded - remember that if you choose to weather your track and add ballast fixed with dilute PVA there is a good chance that the paint and/or glue will seep into the fishplates.

If that happens and their conductivity is compromised then you will probably wish that you had put more droppers in at the outset.