Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > On The Workbench

On The Workbench A place to show what you are building, altering, kit bashing etc

Old 31-05-2018, 06:46 PM   #1
bazzmund

bazzmund is on a distinguished road
Default A Pre Grouping stream of consciousness

Thought I would start a thread here to showcase my amateur and often shoestring budgeted pre grouping models.

First up is the first of a trio of ratio 4 wheelers that I am building.

A bit of an experiment in Painting as I have decided to model one of the very rarely represented all over Chocolate liveried examples of 1904 - 1912. Not even the GWR modelling website can seem to offer a decisive opinion, though from what I can gather the livery was just a combination of the Crimson Lake black ends with Chocolate and no Cream panels. The other two are to be used as more practice with one each being CL and C&C. Flanking it are a couple of my Frankenstein cut and shut Hornby 4 wheelers.

Next is my SECR PMV modelled as one of the 1921 batch. The next one I want to do is the Cavell Van post 1918 with unknown warrior plaques attached.

Old 31-05-2018, 09:47 PM   #2
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Very nice. Very rewarding projects there.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:51 PM   #3
bazzmund

Update on the 4 wheelers or on what me and the Mrs have dubbed "proto pacer". The all over choccy is done and I've moved on to the black ends and underframe. The crimson lake is progressing well, I thought at first it may be a bit too light but with each coat it's getting more towards the correct shade.

But on the lighter side of things here was my task for making our wedding top table namecards

Old 05-06-2018, 03:25 PM   #4
Chops

Chops is on a distinguished road

Really nice work, impressive.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:30 PM   #5
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Nice work. Are you keeping to 3 link and screw link couplings?
Old 05-06-2018, 05:38 PM   #6
bazzmund

Thanks both. Yes I made the choice of going with screw and 3 link for the pre grouping stuff largely because most of it is either kit built, scratchbuilt or older RTR models that can afford to have buffer beams drilled through. One of my longer term (sic unfinished) projects is a Hornby 2721 pannier which ive been backdating to churchward days. Much of the work has been taken up with daylighting the boiler and cutting the frames to the correct length. Ive also made a start on scratchbuilding a churchward pattern bunker as the factory model has the larger collett one.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:40 PM   #7
Wolfie

Wolfie is on a distinguished road

Looking good. Where do you get the info?

I'd like to find out typical trains for NER or NBR branch lines
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:57 PM   #8
bazzmund

Theres a good amount of resources on the GWR online page which has some good articles. Failing that a lot of my more specific info comes from the numerous books ive amassed. Back issues of Locomotives Illustrated are a good bet as well - I have one on the GWR pre grouping pannier/saddletanks which includes a detailed list of dates for when individual locos were rebuilt with panniers.

For NER/NBR a good starting point woukd be LNER.info as they are near enough a wikipedia of the LNER. Although it tends to be more Loco centric than anything it does have a forum.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:03 PM   #9
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

If I wasn't aware of the specific designs of the models to pick out what is familiar, I would have to look twice as at first glance, they look like 0 gauge. It is only when I looked closer knowing that certain models were made in 00 and not 0 that I realised what they were. It goes to show how ready made items can be converted to give a professional model look to them without spending a fortune out on the new fine detailed models. One just needs wider diameter curves to prevent bufferlocking.
Out of interest, does anyone know what sort of diameter curves one needs to run three link and screw link stock? When I experimented I didnt try to see what curves they'd take. I quickly found out that Peco settrack points didnt like them so 2nd radius is out of the question!
I saw someone in here who made some excellent easy to use three link couplings by hanging a little magnet at the end of each three link couplings, and he glued a piece of metal under each wagon so they could couple. It works amazingly well. It think it may have been Panniertank who made them? Trying to remember.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:05 PM   #10
bazzmund

Ive had heated discussions before when one persons answer to the question of detailing the Hornby jinty was to sell it and buy the Bachmann one. Besides the obvious fiscal implications it really does make you wonder what the hobby is about - creation of a miniature world OR amassing a collection of expensive tat you daren't touch. But personal bippy rants aside there isnt really a RTR alternative for a churchward pannier. Its the old triang model or its backdating a 57xx (which is probably an almost impossible task when you consider that the only thing they have in common is the wheelbase).

Speaking of such matters I wonder if it is possible to backdate a hornby jinty into one of its Johnson predescessors? Meditate on this I will....