Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > On The Workbench

On The Workbench A place to show what you are building, altering, kit bashing etc

Old 23-04-2018, 08:48 PM   #1
collectors

collectors is on a distinguished road
Default Any Coupler recommendations with auto un-coupler??

Hi, i have quite a few Bachmann Spectrum On30 wagons & carriages that are fitted with the E-Z Mate® Mark II Couplers & have been reading they can be a lot of trouble. So, i am thinking of changing them to possibly the Kadee #148. I also want to have 5 sidings with auto un-couplers of some sort. Has anyone had good experiences with the Kadee range or can recommend a good alternative.

Thanks
collectors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 09:16 PM   #2
Mr Bones
Privateer

Mr Bones is on a distinguished road

I use the Kadee couplers and love them. I've been using Neodymium magnets but have seen a remote uncoupler which I fancy trying. Details here
Old 24-04-2018, 06:11 AM   #3
collectors

Thanks for the info Mr Bones, The link you sent has given me an idea, but have you any idea what strength the magnets you used are. What i was thinking was just to make a 12V electro magnet on a spring return switch. They sell the components on ebay for around £2.50, but its just knowing what strength of magnet pull has to have. The small ones are around 2.5kl/5.6lbs pull & around £1.60 to buy.

Last edited by collectors; 24-04-2018 at 06:12 AM.
Old 24-04-2018, 09:56 AM   #4
Sol

Sol is on a distinguished road

The E-Z Mate® Mark II work well compared to the Mk I versions - I used a lot of them in my USA outline days as they were cheaper then Kadee.
I still have a couple on my UK outline with Kadee doing the remainder.

DC is good - so is DCC - it depends on your operating process.
Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 04:01 PM   #5
Bulleidboy

Bulleidboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by collectors View Post
Thanks for the info Mr Bones, The link you sent has given me an idea, but have you any idea what strength the magnets you used are. What i was thinking was just to make a 12V electro magnet on a spring return switch. They sell the components on ebay for around £2.50, but its just knowing what strength of magnet pull has to have. The small ones are around 2.5kl/5.6lbs pull & around £1.60 to buy.
I used these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10Pcs-N35...cAAOSweBFapzmK

I fitted them under each track at the end of the fiddle yard - two per track. They are placed under the sleepers - I have cork underlay - so cut the cork out and slid the magnets in. I placed a piece of cork between the two magnets, and experimented with a couple of Kadee fitted coaches, just to make sure the magnets were in the correct position. They work well.

Picture: https://flic.kr/p/26ujQhK

Last edited by Bulleidboy; 24-04-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Bulleidboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 08:26 PM   #6
Mr Bones
Privateer

Mr Bones is on a distinguished road

More or less the same as I did. Although I think my magnets were N52 what ever that means .

I seem to recall that the magnets have to oppose each other so as to pull the couplers away from one another. If you experiment you'll find the best setup for them.

Last edited by Mr Bones; 24-04-2018 at 08:28 PM.
Mr Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 10:01 PM   #7
Bulleidboy

Bulleidboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bones View Post
I seem to recall that the magnets have to oppose each other so as to pull the couplers away from one another. If you experiment you'll find the best setup for them.
I think mine were N52 (more powerful?). It's fun fitting them, as you push one under the track, it pushes the one already in position, out the other side!
Old 24-04-2018, 10:40 PM   #8
ians
Talkative Member

ians is on a distinguished road

Yes, N52 is a high power than say a N35

Look here for more details on magnets (I get distracted easily!) https://supermagnetman.com/blogs/new...-magnet-tables
ians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 11:29 PM   #9
Sol

Sol is on a distinguished road

I think people can read this thread
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_top...481&forum_id=6
I took part in it later on - all about Kadee magnetic uncoupling

DC is good - so is DCC - it depends on your operating process.
Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 04:53 PM   #10
collectors

Hi, & sorry for not getting back as i don't seem to be getting emails saying someone has posted. But i also not quite getting my head around this option using magnets.
If i want to shunt/push some wagons up a siding & uncouple all these wagons from the train, how will this work?. I am assuming every wagon will disconnect from each as i shunt them in & same again when i go to collect them to take them out the siding. I can only assume electro magnets might be the way to go & switch on after all the wagons are parked so when the train leaves & the electromagnet is on it will unhook on the way out the 1st wagon/ 1st coupling. Unless i am not seeing this correctly ?.

Thanks for the help.