Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > On The Workbench

On The Workbench A place to show what you are building, altering, kit bashing etc

Old 05-04-2018, 08:01 PM   #21
oncomin5torm

oncomin5torm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Goat View Post
The first coach bodies you showed in the pics at the start of the thread are LMS coaches. I have a single coach in early BR livery of one of these. They are shorter then B.R. Mk1 coaches and have a different design, though they do have a similar look to them. The most notable difference to look at are the ribbs on the roof. The windows also have slight differences to them as well if compared to a MK1.

(I only write this in case you were referring to the coaches being MK1's. It may just be the way I'm reading the posts).
The logo on the side is British Railways.

Its the one labeled C on the picture

From what I understand they were re-painted/crested old LMS coaches.
Hence why they stayed maroon.

They are a fair bit shorter than my 1990's LNER teak coaches I own.
Plus the doors coach ends being part of the chassis is a MK1 give away from my research.

Also the hornby/triang model number inside them matches MK1 coaches.

Last edited by oncomin5torm; 05-04-2018 at 08:14 PM.
oncomin5torm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:06 PM   #22
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

The other two logos are used on locos. A is the early (1948/56) and B the late crest (1956/67)

Last edited by Walkingthedog; 05-04-2018 at 08:14 PM.
Walkingthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:14 PM   #23
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Are we taliking on cross purposes? I was referring to the first three pictures on your post one of this thread.
Take a look of the Hornby LMS coach in B.R. early livery next to a Lima MK1 in B.R. blue/grey livery.
(If any load in sideways click on it and it should come straight).
Take a look at the length, the centre door of the Mk1, the ribs on the roof of the LMS coach which are absent on the Mk1. The roofs have slightly different profiles. The LMS coach is slightly gentler curved attbeedges but flatter at the top where thew Mk1 is curved at the top and comes in to sudden sharp curves at the edges.

The only reason why I show this in case you buy Mk1 parts and expect them to fit. (I know things can be made to fit with some work, but it is best to get the correct parts to begin with).
It is only by chance I have one of these LMS coaches as for me it is not something I am modelling in, so it is an odd one out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180407_205533.jpg (339.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180407_210117.jpg (302.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180407_210927.jpg (316.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180407_210956.jpg (303.8 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 07-04-2018 at 09:18 PM.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:28 PM   #24
oncomin5torm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Goat View Post
Are we taliking on cross purposes? I was referring to the first three pictures on your post one of this thread.
Take a look of the Hornby LMS coach in B.R. early livery next to a Lima MK1 in B.R. blue/grey livery.
(If any load in sideways click on it and it should come straight).
Take a look at the length, the centre door of the Mk1, the ribs on the roof of the LMS coach which are absent on the Mk1. The roofs have slightly different profiles. The LMS coach is slightly gentler curved attbeedges but flatter at the top where thew Mk1 is curved at the top and comes in to sudden sharp curves at the edges.

The only reason why I show this in case you buy Mk1 parts and expect them to fit. (I know things can be made to fit with some work, but it is best to get the correct parts to begin with).
I understand where your coming from, I have got 2 more coaches that are mainline Mk1 coaches, they are a perfect fit for size, if that is any help.
As to what you said in your earlier reply about them being LMS coaches I am pretty sure they aren't LMS as they have no had a repaint and their logo is early BR, plus the codes inside them are R433 and R434 which correspond to the MK1 hornby coach parts that they are.
I could well be wrong I am not an expert in no shape or form but from what I can find out about them they are hornby MK1 coaches

This is an ebay link to the exact same coaches but in fully working order.
here
Old 07-04-2018, 09:44 PM   #25
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

The eBay link you put are (From the top down) an LNER restaurant coach possibly converted to another use. Can't read what it says on the side). Note true oval window at the end.
The other three coaches are Mk1's.

You are right in when you see coaches in B.R. livery and B.R. logo. Many coaches from the big four (LMS, GWR, LNER and SR) were repainted to one of the early B.R. liveries after 1948. Some kept the same livery except there being the B.R. emblem on the sides instead of their previous company emblem. The LMS coaches you showed indeed had the B.R. emblem. (I know this can seem confusing). The ones you put in the first PIC are different to the ones on the eBay PIC. Same livery and colour.

I've not seen pics of your Mainline coaches. To me, Mainline coaches are the ultimate coaches to own. They run well. Are finely detailed and they dont have the nasty close coupling system with the nem pockets. With Mainline, you can't go wrong. Mainline did nice Mk1's if you can find them!
Lima coaches are lovely. While they may not be finely detailed, they run ever so well. Triang coaches (Later triang coaches) are nice. Rather similar to Lima, except the wheels. They can be vastly improved with new metal wheels and brass bearings.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 07-04-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:54 PM   #26
oncomin5torm

That's how I feel right now haha

I'll upload some photos of my mainline coaches, tomorrow when I finish work.

I got two not so great condition ones, both appear to be 1st or 3rd break coaches, not sure.
One has no roof, so I was going to cobble together one from my 50p purchases.
Both are missing one or both couplings, some minor scrapes and a buffer gone here and there.
I am going to repaint the roof's to match BR grey for both.

It will probably be easier to show than explain, I'm just spent for today so its a job for tomorrow.

Thanks for your patience with this narrow minded fool MG
Old 07-04-2018, 10:59 PM   #27
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Haha. No worries. I only have the advantage that I've been in this hobby since I can remember. I must admit that with many things are beyond me. I'm fairly good at GWR and later B.R.. It does help when one has seen the models and the Hornby catalogues since I was a child.
I love the way you are working on bits and pieces to get them running. Nothing is ever wasted as even if things dont go to plan, what you learn as you go along is something that money can't buy.
Coach chassis. If you can't find suitable chassis, consider using wood cut and shaved/sanded to size. It may seem crude, but it was one of the old ways of building 4mm scale coaches in the early years of 00 gauge back in the 1930's to '40's.
What you could do with is buying a Sylmasta resin casting kit. That way you can make things like the roof by pressing the roof you have into playdough (In the form of a single piece mould), and using the resin included in the kit to cast some roofs. Keep the rubber moulding compound for those items you need to cast in larger quantities. Though the casting kit isn't cheap, it is well worth the money in the learning experience alone, never mind the parts you can make.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:12 PM   #28
oncomin5torm

Just doing another browse of ebay coach bits and I came across a lot of 4 coach ends, that match my two bodies perfectly, they are the correct model numbers too.
Here
They are only 3.50 with postage.

Also MG I owe you an apology, the parts are listed as off LMS coaches so despite my steadfast resolve the coach biddies I own are LMS repaints.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:44 PM   #29
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

No worries. Those are the ones.
I'm sure you will get to track down all the pieces.
Old 30-05-2018, 08:10 PM   #30
oncomin5torm

The rebuild on a coach has been completed.

Lots of deliberating and putting off and I have a complete Mk1 maroon LMS repaint brake coach (i think its brake anyway)

Took one of the bodies I bought for 50p and chopped it down to just the roof.
Filed it down and sanded it.

Stuck to the chassis of the recipient coach with liquid poly and away we go.

Its not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. It is my first repair/kit bash/rebuild.

It has no couplings and a buffer missing on one end but still a good job I think.