Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Forum Information > The Welcome Forum

The Welcome Forum Just joined, say hello in here!

Old 27-03-2018, 07:12 PM   #1
RichieB

RichieB is on a distinguished road
Default Hi from Glasgow.

Hi folks i am in a bit of a dilemma, as i have got loads of late 70's early 80's model railway stuff in boxes in my loft. Mostly Hornby but a few other manufacturers too. My Dad built a layout in one of our old bedrooms when i was a kid, but when i got older the whole thing got dismantled and put in boxes for when i would have my own kids. Unfortunately i have a daughter who has no interest in 'boy toys' ( her words, not mine ) and i have no room to even think about building a layout for myself. I now need to decide if i should hang on to it all, or just bite the bullet and get rid of it all to give me some much needed space back in my loft. Probably not the ideal first post on here to be fair, but figured i may get an idea of what the stuff is worth before deciding what to do. I have got decent mechanical knowledge due to my job, and i suppose a bit creative, so could possibly contribute to some of the posts on here.
RichieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 07:21 PM   #2
dynax

dynax is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum, if you really feel as though you have no room then move them on, but and a big but, no matter how small a space you can find room if you really want to, just needs some creative thinking, an end to end shelf layouts can be built and automated to run on their own, a small layout hinged to a wall so that is can be stored away, modular layouts where the sections are bolted together, a round the room layout above door height, possibilities are there,

Give a man a fish and it will feed him for a day,
teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day!!
dynax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 07:40 PM   #3
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

I think if I needed the space Id get rid of it. Depends how much you want a model railway.
Old 27-03-2018, 08:37 PM   #4
RichieB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynax View Post
Welcome to the forum, if you really feel as though you have no room then move them on, but and a big but, no matter how small a space you can find room if you really want to, just needs some creative thinking, an end to end shelf layouts can be built and automated to run on their own, a small layout hinged to a wall so that is can be stored away, modular layouts where the sections are bolted together, a round the room layout above door height, possibilities are there,

To be totally honest, it's not really something that interests me anymore. And i really don't have any spare space where it would be practical to have a layout. After reading a few posts on here it seems that the best place to sell is ebay, but due to the amount of stuff and the hassles that come with ebay, I would rather not sell via there. A lot of the stuff is boxed, but all of the buildings/structures have been built which makes them more difficult to post, even though my Dad kept all of their original boxes. There is loads of track and points etc, pretty much everything to set up a decent sized layout, but from the late 70's early 80's era. I have taken pics of everything, but there is about 150 pics so not easy to send on to someone for a valuation.
Old 27-03-2018, 08:41 PM   #5
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

Then get rid of it. Somebody out there will love it.
Old 27-03-2018, 08:53 PM   #6
RichieB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthedog View Post
Then get rid of it. Somebody out there will love it.
Any idea where i could get a valuation done?
Old 27-03-2018, 08:57 PM   #7
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

It maybe an idea to see if there is a model railway sales fair near you and hire a table. Then if a potential customer comes and sees something, then you could say "Make me an offer". If it seems reasonable, you have a sale. You'd be surprised how much you can raise by doing this. I recently raised over a hundred pounds after the table costs just with a few model railway buildings along with scenic bits and pieces. Yes, I made a loss on what I'd origionally paid for them, but I wasn't using them and couldn't see me using them.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 10:06 PM   #8
Bazil

Bazil is on a distinguished road

I was going to say take it all to a Toy fair or Swap meet. Unfortunately I can't readily find one in Glasgow, the closest I can find is Falkirk this Sunday. 70s/80s stuff won't be worth all that much individually but if there is enough of it or the odd special item in good condition.
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 12:36 AM   #9
Mixed Signals

Mixed Signals is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately Flebay is probably the better place for a valuation.

Try Shpock or Gumtree. You will get cheeky offers. It's what you'd be happy with.
Mixed Signals is offline   Reply With Quote