Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Forum Information > The Welcome Forum

The Welcome Forum Just joined, say hello in here!

Old 18-11-2017, 06:32 PM   #1
Hal

Hal is on a distinguished road
Default OO advice please

I'm about to reconstruct my Tri-ang/Hornby OO gauge railway, mostly bought for me in 1968 and has been boxed in the attic for the last 25 years! To celebrate, my wife would like to buy me a locomotive for Christmas, but I am nervous that anything I buy may not work on my old system!! I am completely confused by modern Digital trains. I am recreating a 1968 layout with diesel BR engines and rolling stock. It would be great for my wife to buy a BR DMU. Any recommendations or warnings?? Many many thanks in eager anticipation.....
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 06:46 PM   #2
Flashbang
Administrator

Flashbang will become famous soon enough

Hi.
Firstly, you need to check and throughly clean all the old rails. If they are steel (check with a magnet) then they might be rusted. More modern rail is Nickel Silver (doesnt attract magnet) and doesnt rust, but will tarnish with age. Clean NS rail with a track rubber or the rought side of a piece of Hardboard cut into stips a little wider than the track. Old rusted steel rail is IMO best binned!

Next check the rail joiners (fishplates) are in good clean order and tight fit onto the rail they join. Replace any as need be.

Now turn to old locos.. If they have been in store, service them. Clean all wheel treads and any rear of wheel wiper contacts. Lightly lubricate all pivots and moving parts such as motor bearings. Use oil specificly sold for model railway use. Do not use WD40 spray oils or 3 in 1 oil. Remember the lubrication golden rule.. If you can see it, its probably too much! Bolt off suplus oil with a tissue or piece of kitchen roll.

Modern locos should run on any track - steel or NS if its spotlessly clean.
Buy DCC Ready locos NOT DCC Fitted. "DCC Ready" means the loco only works on (Analogue) DC rail power.
Old 18-11-2017, 07:08 PM   #3
Old shed

Old shed is on a distinguished road

If it had the original electrics ie controller and wiring I would get that checked by an electrician.
Old shed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 09:19 AM   #4
Hal

That's extremely helpful, thank you!
Old 19-11-2017, 09:21 AM   #5
Hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old shed View Post
If it had the original electrics ie controller and wiring I would get that checked by an electrician.
Thanks. But I like to live dangerously!! :-)
Old 19-11-2017, 09:31 AM   #6
Hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashbang View Post
Hi.
Firstly, you need to check and throughly clean all the old rails. If they are steel (check with a magnet) then they might be rusted. More modern rail is Nickel Silver (doesnt attract magnet) and doesnt rust, but will tarnish with age. Clean NS rail with a track rubber or the rought side of a piece of Hardboard cut into stips a little wider than the track. Old rusted steel rail is IMO best binned!

Next check the rail joiners (fishplates) are in good clean order and tight fit onto the rail they join. Replace any as need be.

Now turn to old locos.. If they have been in store, service them. Clean all wheel treads and any rear of wheel wiper contacts. Lightly lubricate all pivots and moving parts such as motor bearings. Use oil specificly sold for model railway use. Do not use WD40 spray oils or 3 in 1 oil. Remember the lubrication golden rule.. If you can see it, its probably too much! Bolt off suplus oil with a tissue or piece of kitchen roll.

Modern locos should run on any track - steel or NS if its spotlessly clean.
Buy DCC Ready locos NOT DCC Fitted. "DCC Ready" means the loco only works on (Analogue) DC rail power.
That is extremely helpful. Thank you. I read somewhere that there were two slightly different OO scales now, and I was worried that I couldn't just buy a OO gauge train and expect it to fit and run on my track. I am pretty much overwhelmed by the amount of stuff available nowadays, and even more shocked by the price!! :-)
Old 19-11-2017, 09:53 AM   #7
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want to keep to Triang and the Triang Hornby locos and rolling stock there is a lady who specializes in selling Triang though she does keep a bit of everything she comes across!
Type in Elaine's Trains into a search engine. It should get her site. I was impressed by the way she photographs the items and provides an honest description.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 10:46 AM   #8
ians
Talkative Member

ians is on a distinguished road

You're probably remembering having read about Series 4 track (old track) and System 6 (new track) that are incompatible in size.

You can get converter track and use it to connect to a new extended section if you have a lot of old track and wish to buy some new. I'd avoid Series 4 track 2nd hand, pre-owned or previously loved as many contain very poor track amongst the good ones. Postage costs are also an issue with large quantities of track you see as 'Job lots'.

A photo or two of the track and locos would interesting and we can probably tell from them if it is Series 4 (or 3) or System 6.
ians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 11:10 PM   #9
Hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ians View Post
You're probably remembering having read about Series 4 track (old track) and System 6 (new track) that are incompatible in size.

You can get converter track and use it to connect to a new extended section if you have a lot of old track and wish to buy some new. I'd avoid Series 4 track 2nd hand, pre-owned or previously loved as many contain very poor track amongst the good ones. Postage costs are also an issue with large quantities of track you see as 'Job lots'.

A photo or two of the track and locos would interesting and we can probably tell from them if it is Series 4 (or 3) or System 6.
Sadly, don't seem to be able to post a pic! The pic icon asks for a URL, whereas I just have a photo to paste!! DOH!
Old 20-11-2017, 11:12 PM   #10
Hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Goat View Post
If you want to keep to Triang and the Triang Hornby locos and rolling stock there is a lady who specializes in selling Triang though she does keep a bit of everything she comes across!
Type in Elaine's Trains into a search engine. It should get her site. I was impressed by the way she photographs the items and provides an honest description.
Thanks for that. However, I intend to use anything that is suitable. But I've made a note of her. Thanks again.