Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Advertisers Area > Model Railway Books

Model Railway Books Books currently available to help the railway modeller.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-07-2017, 07:51 PM   #1
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.
 
Mountain Goat's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: UK.
Posts: 2,312
Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sorting Old Railway Modellers!

As I have a collection of quite a few railway modeller magazines over the years, I want some way to sort and protect them from damage. While they are the sort of things one buys, reads and rarely looks at again it is sad as there are lots of interesting layouts and articles to see. If they are in a more presentable manner, then one can go to them to read them at leasure. Hence I decided to do something about it! To put them in files.
I had a small collection of files ready but needed to buy more, and still need some more again. Some came from a book charity place at 50p each. Not sure if it is still going. When these ran out, I looked in shops in my local area... What I wanted came in various prices from 1.25 to 2 or more each... The last shop I tried they were 1 each. That's more like it! So I bought six.
The magazines need work before they can be filed. They need to be holed and to enable them to fit, along with making them more readable, the adverts are removed, but I kept the title page along with the cover and information about new products, and of corse, I keep the best bits, the articles inside.
To hole them at first I started to use a tough old 1930's hole punch. This was fine for older thinner railway modellers, but as the magazines touched into the 1980's onwards they became thicker, so plan B came into action. A drill with a drill bit designed for wood and a plank to drill into rather then damage the bit if it touches the ground. To get the holes in the right places, I used a marker pen and estimated where they needed to go as I lined them up to the lever arch files. Make sure your holes are not too close to the edge of the spine of the magazine. I'm not too fussed if the odd hole takes out some print in the articles inside as I'd rather do that and save my magazines then lose the collection. You will need the lever arch type as these are just wide enough to take a year of magazines once they have been slimmed down.
And here are some pictures of work in progress. (See below!)
I will also point out that nothing is wasted. The advert pages are recycled by soaking and pressing them to form paper logs to keep the fire going in the winter months.
(To the right of the second picture are the removed adverts from about six magazines).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170730_175108.jpg (304.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170730_175057.jpg (293.8 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 31-07-2017 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Autosmell alters words!
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 08:22 PM   #2
twalton1145
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Scottish Borders
Posts: 484
twalton1145 is on a distinguished road
Default

I like it MG!!

Could I just suggest a wee mod. that might save a bit of time?
After removing all the ad pages, if you use hole punch on cover, centralising carefully, then drill through the rest. Hope this is clear. BTW all mine are in IKEA magazine thingies and are warping at the edges
Ted
twalton1145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 08:26 PM   #3
Mr Bones
Privateer
 
Mr Bones's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Canterbury
Posts: 890
Mr Bones is on a distinguished road
Default

Nice idea MG. I have loads of mags I need to sort.

Must admit though, the title had me worried, thought you were going to start picking on old modellers for some reason
__________________
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Mr Bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 11:49 PM   #4
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.
 
Mountain Goat's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: UK.
Posts: 2,312
Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twalton1145 View Post
I like it MG!!

Could I just suggest a wee mod. that might save a bit of time?
After removing all the ad pages, if you use hole punch on cover, centralising carefully, then drill through the rest. Hope this is clear. BTW all mine are in IKEA magazine thingies and are warping at the edges
Ted
The hole punch was limited as the magazines started to get too thick to fit in its slot, so it wasn't just the thickness it was cutting through.
I hope my files dont warp at the edges. If they do, I will be adding extra inventiveness here on how to make files more rigid! At the moment as they are in storage, they will be stacked flat for now. Eventually when we move house I hope to erect a shelf and put them in order.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 11:50 PM   #5
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.
 
Mountain Goat's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: UK.
Posts: 2,312
Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bones View Post
Nice idea MG. I have loads of mags I need to sort.

Must admit though, the title had me worried, thought you were going to start picking on old modellers for some reason
Yes. Haha!
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:17 AM   #6
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist
 

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Cumbria and Scotish boarder.
Posts: 1,980
Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road
Default

you want bovver son.............
__________________
I may be wrong as I very often am. John
Footplate1947 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:14 PM   #7
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.
 
Mountain Goat's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: UK.
Posts: 2,312
Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Haha!

As a footnote... I will say that I concentrated on just my Railway Modellers and will do my Model Railway Constructors. I parted with the other magazine types as I can only do so many! With lots of gaps, my Railway Modellers are from the 1950's to one example of a 2017. I have stopped buying magazines these days though. No doubt I will pick up small collections going cheap or free every now and then. Any duplicates will be given to others who may like them. Recycling!
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:47 PM   #8
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist
 

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Cumbria and Scotish boarder.
Posts: 1,980
Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road
Default

I used to buy the Constructor regularly back in the 70s when I started building my first proper layout in the loft of my first house.
I found it was a tremendous inspiration. With lots of how to do articles. I build my first scratch built Loco from plans in the Constructor. I thought it was the best of the bunch in those days anyway. The mags were more affordable I though in those days as well. Now the prices are almost telephone numbers. Considering the amount of adverts in them I wonder why.
John
__________________
I may be wrong as I very often am. John
Footplate1947 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:05 PM   #9
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.
 
Mountain Goat's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: UK.
Posts: 2,312
Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

The Model Railway Constructors were rather good magazines. I enjoyed reading them, though as I was either in college or on a low starter wage in those days, I chose then railway Modeller instead. I still had quite a collection given to me of Constructors from mid to late '70's to the early '80's.
Regarding adverts. When removing them from the Railway Modellers, I was surprised how much bulk was left! More then I thought would be left. The only issue of magazines these days compared to when I was younger, is less and less seems relevant to me. What I mean is, there are so many articles on DCC sound conversions or various DCC aspects (Not saying they are not needed) and due to so much now available in RTR form, there is a lack of scratch building articles, that compared to the past, they seem less interesting overall.
When I used to buy a Railway Modeller from the mid 1980's to about 1995, most of the articles took my interest. Now I can't say if it is because I'm older, or my interests change, but though II still love the magazines, I find that the actual articles to really hold my interest to be somewhat limiting. For example, because so much one used to have to make oneself to be different, there was almost a competition of inventiveness! As a contrast, today it seems to be a lot of the "Same old, same old" where most layouts are excellent, but somehow one sees the same make of track, the same buildings and the same makes of stock running through them as every other modeller seems to have. Yes, the standards of the lovely models and kits are brilliant, but it is rather like living in the 1980's where every other car was a Ford! One would prefer to buy a Skoda or Lada just for it not to be a Ford!
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:33 PM   #10
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.
 
Mountain Goat's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: UK.
Posts: 2,312
Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Goat View Post
The Model Railway Constructors were rather good magazines. I enjoyed reading them, though as I was either in college or on a low starter wage in those days, I chose then railway Modeller instead. I still had quite a collection given to me of Constructors from mid to late '70's to the early '80's.
Regarding adverts. When removing them from the Railway Modellers, I was surprised how much bulk was left! More then I thought would be left. The only issue of magazines these days compared to when I was younger, is less and less seems relevant to me. What I mean is, there are so many articles on DCC sound conversions or various DCC aspects (Not saying they are not needed) and due to so much now available in RTR form, there is a lack of scratch building articles, that compared to the past, they seem less interesting overall.
When I used to buy a Railway Modeller from the mid 1980's to about 1995, most of the articles took my interest. Now I can't say if it is because I'm older, or my interests change, but though II still love the magazines, I find that the actual articles to really hold my interest to be somewhat limiting. For example, because so much one used to have to make oneself to be different, there was almost a competition of inventiveness! As a contrast, today it seems to be a lot of the "Same old, same old" where most layouts are excellent, but somehow one sees the same make of track, the same buildings and the same makes of stock running through them as every other modeller seems to have. Yes, the standards of the lovely models and kits are brilliant, but it is rather like living in the 1980's where every other car was a Ford! One would prefer to buy a Skoda or Lada just for it not to be a Ford!
(Wasn't trying to say not to use RTR items for ones own layout... Was just saying how exciting things used to be! It is fascinating to see things people have made that are different).
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.