Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Social & Other Chat > The Real Thing

The Real Thing A place for real railway discussions.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-06-2018, 11:57 AM   #1
Cudworth
Senior Member
 
Cudworth's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Eastbourne
Posts: 742
Cudworth is on a distinguished road
Default The Wizard of Oz

This one's compulsive viewing!

https://youtu.be/dQ7bz2nzztE
Cudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 12:25 PM   #2
Bunkerbarge
Senior Member
 
Bunkerbarge's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2018
Location: Mid Lincolnshire in a field
Posts: 177
Bunkerbarge is on a distinguished road
Default

That's quite a piece of engineering!
Bunkerbarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 07:46 PM   #3
Raetiamann
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 114
Raetiamann is on a distinguished road
Default

Travelling much faster than the times I've journeyed from Central out to Stathfield on Sydney Trains' emus.
Raetiamann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 01:34 AM   #4
Mixed Signals
Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Manchester
Posts: 83
Mixed Signals is on a distinguished road
Default

No lines of beauty there with that loco. No doubt it could haul lots of coal in the night. Like those video's though, reminds me of the Scotsman's visit and some demo runs.
Mixed Signals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 05:17 PM   #5
Maz066
Member
 
Maz066's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Berry Australia
Posts: 72
Maz066 is on a distinguished road
Default

The standout feature of Railways of Great Britain was the pride in workmanship as demonstrated by naming of locos and the liveries and detailing especially pre 1923. In Australia, like the US, engineering beauty was not high on the priorities list. Especially in Oz where locomotives were bought from the US or in the case of the Garrett from Beyer. Australia was stone broke after WW1and the depression. Since the railways were Nationalised in the 19th-century, priorities were on running costs and keeping Government bureaucrats happy.
A real shame actually- that's why I model British
__________________
Peter S

Last edited by Maz066; 24-06-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Maz066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 06:10 PM   #6
Bunkerbarge
Senior Member
 
Bunkerbarge's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2018
Location: Mid Lincolnshire in a field
Posts: 177
Bunkerbarge is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz066 View Post
The standout feature of Railways of Great Britain was the pride in workmanship as demonstrated by naming of locos and the liveries and detailing especially pre 1923. In Australia, like the US, engineering beauty was not high on the priorities list. Especially in Oz where locomotives were bought from the US or in the case of the Garrett from Beyer. Australia was stone broke after WW1and the depression. Since the railways were Nationalised in the 19th-century, priorities were on running costs and keeping Government bureaucrats happy.
A real shame actually- that's why I model British
Interesting point. I was looking at a large American steam loco in the National Railway Museum only a few days ago and was quite surprised at just how horrible the enginering was. Pipes everywhere with no neat runs, huge spaces between the wheel frames and the boiler and bits and pieces simply stuck on anywhere. The thing was incredibly ugly.
Bunkerbarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 12:59 AM   #7
Sol
Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: South Australia
Posts: 93
Sol is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkerbarge View Post
Interesting point. I was looking at a large American steam loco in the National Railway Museum only a few days ago and was quite surprised at just how horrible the enginering was. Pipes everywhere with no neat runs, huge spaces between the wheel frames and the boiler and bits and pieces simply stuck on anywhere. The thing was incredibly ugly.
I guess beauty was not a consideration, just cheaper to build & efficiency.
__________________
Ron Solly

DC is good - so is DCC - it depends on your operating process.
Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 08:45 AM   #8
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot
 
Walkingthedog's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: HAZLEMERE, Bucks
Posts: 10,210
Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road
Default

Do you mean the Chinese loco Bb. It was built in the UK.
__________________
NURSE,the screens!
Walkingthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 09:51 AM   #9
Bunkerbarge
Senior Member
 
Bunkerbarge's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2018
Location: Mid Lincolnshire in a field
Posts: 177
Bunkerbarge is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthedog View Post
Do you mean the Chinese loco Bb. It was built in the UK.
I've no idea but I will now find out. It looked very American but could have been Chinese. Built in the UK is irrelevent if it is built to a Chinese specification but I will now find out more.

It is still a hideous standard of engineering.
Bunkerbarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 10:04 AM   #10
Bunkerbarge
Senior Member
 
Bunkerbarge's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2018
Location: Mid Lincolnshire in a field
Posts: 177
Bunkerbarge is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthedog View Post
Do you mean the Chinese loco Bb. It was built in the UK.
Yup, you are quite right, it was built at the Vulcan foundry for the Chinese. It is simply hideous and whoever designed it should have been shot.

When they had 'finished' with it the Chinese gave it back to us. Says a lot when the Chinese don't even want it.

Apparently the Vulcan foundry also made bridges, which explains a lot. Obviously either built to a Chinese specification or possibly outfitted by the Chinese after delivery but the pipework is absolutely appalling.

When you compare that this was built in 1926 at exactly the same time as Gresley was building A3s it makes you wonder.

Interesting write up on the National Railway Museum's web site.

I don't know why I had thought it was American, probably confusing it with something else I had seen that day.

Last edited by Bunkerbarge; 25-06-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Bunkerbarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.