Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Social & Other Chat > General Chat

General Chat Chat here with other members.

Old 13-05-2018, 09:57 AM   #71
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Goat View Post
Seems a lovely location for a model railway.
Many houses in Wales used to have a room for animals next to another downstairs room (In the house) and the attic is where they would sleep. They would try to sleep above the animals as the heat from the animals would keep them warm.
My grandparents did up a house like that. It had internal walls made from brambles and cow dung. It was a very cozy house as those walls really kept the heat in.
This cottage is not like that because the sheds do not have a loft the shed goes right up to the ridge of the roof which is lower than the house. We do have a a loft room which is the opposite end of building over the kitchen. That was recent conversion the end window was only put in couple of years ago. It is nice and cosy for model railway room as it is well insulated for the summer and has nice big double radiator for the winter. Still have to paint that and going to put in a laminated floor and large cheap rug to catch any messy glue or solder dropping that I may drop on the floor. Then will be all set to get started.
Old 13-05-2018, 10:05 AM   #72
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelrow View Post
Footplate, my outbuildings, are the same, stone built, and dusty. One still has an earth floor. Be interested in your solution. john
Will let you know how we get on with painting the walls. I think it should improve things. As for the building you have with earth floor, I would think you will have to concrete it to improve that.
You can hardly use floor paint on soil. I had planed on having a bench (which is almost now finished) and instilling some 4inch ducting to connect to the spraying booth to suck out the over spray but having 2ft thick stone wales will make that quite bit of a job. Will have to cross that bridge when I get to it.
Old 13-05-2018, 10:27 AM   #73
yelrow

yelrow is an unknown quantity at this point

Earth floor has been there since Adam was a lad, so part of the charm. Know all about 2-3 foot walls. Quite a challenge, putting in outside tap. Bit like lining up channel tunnel, making the hole meet, from either side. Our outbuildings had cattle water drinking bowls installed. I used one building as workshop ,till i built my 20x12, at which time it became a mower store. I have, single, 2, and 3 phase, supplies, also, challenging, with 3 phase Well pump. john
yelrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 10:47 AM   #74
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelrow View Post
Earth floor has been there since Adam was a lad, so part of the charm. Know all about 2-3 foot walls. Quite a challenge, putting in outside tap. Bit like lining up channel tunnel, making the hole meet, from either side. Our outbuildings had cattle water drinking bowls installed. I used one building as workshop ,till i built my 20x12, at which time it became a mower store. I have, single, 2, and 3 phase, supplies, also, challenging, with 3 phase Well pump. john
When you mentioned about the earth floor I thought you were interested in dust proofing it not preserving it's historical value. That was why I suggested concrete. All depends on how you wish to use the building I would have thought.
I dont have a well and pump we have mains water even in most areas classed as remote as we are. One of the joys of living in France I guess.
Old 13-05-2018, 11:11 AM   #75
yelrow

yelrow is an unknown quantity at this point

We have mains water, but septic tank, and 2 wells. Water in france very expensive, so all farms and most small holdings have wells. Ours is used for toilet flushing/ watering.
yelrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 11:42 AM   #76
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Tinker is on a distinguished road

I had put a 4" tumble dryer ducting pipe through a 27" thick wall building was built in the 1600's, hired a drill and diamond hole cutter, drill a 10mm hole through first then the 4" hole cutter from either side 10 minute job....they have extension arbors for deep holes...
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 01:18 PM   #77
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

Thanks Tinker for the tip I was hoping some advice would come from somewhere. Marvelous place this forum is. I am sure that if if one asked how to put up Sky Hooks some body would know.
Thanks Tinker, nothing like advice from somebody who has done it.
Old 13-05-2018, 05:40 PM   #78
Bulleidboy

Bulleidboy is on a distinguished road

Glad the move went well John - good to see you back.Barry (BB)