Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > On The Workbench

On The Workbench A place to show what you are building, altering, kit bashing etc

Old 11-01-2017, 03:36 PM   #1
platelayer

platelayer is on a distinguished road
Default New Project

Hi folks, I have just started a new project and i thought i would give you all a peek. Today i will be mostly trying to scratch build a Diesel Traction Depot. If it all goes to plan it will have two service roads with work platforms,a road for loco lifting with jacks and maybe overhead cranes. I am undecided yet on what style of roof to make, flat or apex, suggestions welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170110_152028.jpg (620.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20170110_230001.jpg (383.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 11-01-2017, 05:23 PM   #2
Tinker
MPS

Tinker is on a distinguished road

Modern loco shed have exhaust outlet these lower on sit on top of the loco exhaust, there built in to the roof, they have a drop pit with a lathe to re-turn the wheels when they get flats, depending on the type of maintenance the size of the gantry crane will go from small to huge.......
Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:39 PM   #3
platelayer

platelayer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Modern loco shed have exhaust outlet these lower on sit on top of the loco exhaust, there built in to the roof, they have a drop pit with a lathe to re-turn the wheels when they get flats, depending on the type of maintenance the size of the gantry crane will go from small to huge.......
thanks for that, thinking of a 1960s depot, so not to hi-tech. i am building raised walk ways for the two service roads. i am stuck on the other road about laying track, i was not going to do a third pit road, just plain track with plasticard or Das to bring the floor up to rail level, ideas or thoughts accepted.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:23 PM   #4
Tinker
MPS

Tinker is on a distinguished road

Hither Green had a drop pit the loco's (steam) axle was lowered to a room under the pit, i never manage to get down there to see what happened they had around 20 wagon of gravel shoveled down there to fill it up, Stuarts Lane had a lathe for diesel loco's this being done while the axle while still attached to the loco. I think the raised walk way come along a bit later than the 60's they just had mobile stairs, maybe there are some archive pictures to work from....out there in Google land.
Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote