Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Wiring & Electronics > DCC

Old 11-01-2017, 05:08 PM   #1
Tinker
MPS

Tinker is on a distinguished road
Default Hornby Class 71 what decodder

I ordered a Lenz Decoder from Trackshack along with other bits, so fitting it into the class 71 didn't take the normal couple of minutes, removed the blanking plate, inserted the 8 pin and sat the decoder on the top so it missed the spring attached to the panto-graph, programmed ok, run it without putting the body back on, that's fine no problems lights work it moves both ways, when it come to putting the body on it won't quite reach the 4 holding clips tried a couple of times, removed the panto spring still no good, removed the gray booster still no good, put the decoder at a angle across the window the body clips in, but one of the bogies looks a bit out of shape take the body off and take a look the top gearbox housing is loose, turn the loco upside down and it drops out plus the gears, so about a hour later its all back together i suspect the Chinese use child labor to get the bogie in, it won't go with the drive unit attached so long tweezers and patience, so what decoder will fit the Lenz standard doesn't or am i missing something......
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:48 PM   #2
cadman

cadman is on a distinguished road

Hi Tinker..........Hornby magazine #109 July 2016 review commented on the lack of space for the decoder but they managed to install a Gaugemaster 6 pin decoder with 8 pin harness.....it was a tight fit to re-attach the body.....HB
cadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:13 PM   #3
Tinker
MPS

Tinker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman View Post
Hi Tinker..........Hornby magazine #109 July 2016 review commented on the lack of space for the decoder but they managed to install a Gaugemaster 6 pin decoder with 8 pin harness.....it was a tight fit to re-attach the body.....HB
Thanks for the info, i will ask Coastal, Kevin may have done some......
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote