Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Kit Building

Kit Building Help with kit building or general construction

Old 05-01-2017, 11:15 AM   #91
Footplate1947

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

Hi Matt,, Nice job of the Loco, and as said lovely job of the lining and lettering.
Looks little beauty............John.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:43 PM   #92
Postman Prat

Postman Prat is on a distinguished road

Hi Matt
Lovely job, really nice. I wondered about the bright wheel rims and then, right at the end, you painted them! Problem (to me) solved.

The light at the end of the tunnel is probably a train coming towards you
Postman Prat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:28 PM   #93
BR87

BR87 is on a distinguished road

Thank you all, too kind, sadly this is my main job doing model work and repairs... the problems of being unemployed...

Postman Prat, yes I do leave that to the last minute, then varnish the wheels, then reassemble it, I'll post up some more images in a day or two, of the completed model, then I will post some things up on the next one.
BR87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:09 AM   #94
Captain Bubble

Captain Bubble is on a distinguished road

More excellent work, great to see.
Captain Bubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:12 PM   #95
BR87

Only small things to finish on this kit... Front end received its number before that was varnished, and then it was on to re-assembly.

The model was assembled and brass outline the windows were added from an etch from Mainly Trains, which has recently closed after a number of years of closing down sales... a massive shame and will be missed.
Anyway here is a completed model and on to the next customer project..

Old 13-01-2017, 08:18 AM   #96
Captain Bubble

Beautiful !
Old 13-01-2017, 09:24 AM   #97
Teedoubleudee

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

Well done Matt
Old 14-01-2017, 06:40 PM   #98
BR87

Thanks guys much appreciated
Old 14-01-2017, 06:46 PM   #99
BR87

Default Hush Hush, W1, SEF

SE Finecast Kit Build
LNER, W1, Hush Hush

I am a bit out of practice writing up my builds as I haven't done any for quite a while, due to building and repairing other peoples kits and RTR locos, and finding a job hopefully...

Anyway, I sold off one of my old kits a few months ago, and decided to use the funds to build a kit I have had my eye on for a while as I have an interest in un-usual prototypes... or loco's that were sadly never built.

So, I placed an order with Dave at SEF for an LNER Hush-Hush or W1 as the chassis is similar to an A4 or A3 of which I have one of each lying around for projects which I never got round, the wheel spacing is correct for the W1, and the kit comes with an etched chassis for A3 / A4 loco's. But due to money I will use what I have or is best suited and modify to what I require.
I will need to modify the rear end of the chassis to allow the bogie on the rear, having measurements from the 2P bogie which has pickups that has the same wheel spacing for the rear bogie, I will replace the wheels with Alan Gibson wheels which I have yet to order.

I have also purchased a set of 4mm drawings for the W1 from Isinglass drawings to check what I am building is correct as there is word that the tender is incorrect for the hush hush what comes with this kit.

So the general bill for this kit:
Hush-Hush: 100
Chassis: 35
bogie: 10
Wheels: 12

This write up is being written for a competition on another forum, I usually don't enter a competition unless there is something I can learn in terms of skills.. I have always wanted to solder white metal kits, I have done brass kits with no problems, but white metal is tricky especially if you can't afford the temperature controlled iron, which I don't have. After watching a video on YouTube presented by Tony Wright on loco kit building which included white metal soldering, I felt a bit better at attempting it.

I will use my 25W Antex iron, which is hotter than needed, but I shall have to see if I can get away with it, I purchased some low melt 70 degree solder from eBay which is required for white metal.

I also endeavour to improve on some areas of the kit, when I get in to building, I have some ideas already, and also I have some other ideas, if I can afford them or not, we will see.

Before starting the kit I had a few test runs with other white metal kits, some white metal On30 wagons for a customer which needed repairs, which were my second test which went well, I firstly attempted some work on an O2 model which I have been working on for sometime, I attempted to solder some brass wire on to the westinghouse pump, following some instructions I had read, this also went very well.

So after a couple of test runs all went well, and gaining some control with it, and experience and how to work with the solder. I read through the instructions for the W1 prior to starting as I expected due to the nature of the shape there was a very specific way of building it, Soldering the 2 internal supports for the main and smaller safety valves, then the main body sides, just tacking the 2 pieces together while positioning.
This allowed some movement in the sides to get the sides in the right position for the front of the model, which was tacked in place, this then helped support the 2 sides, while they were permanently soldered together, then moving on to the front panel which was also soldered in position. Following the instructions and the order of when to solder what part certainly does aid the speed of the build, the body shell and cab going together very well and easily. I left the sub frame as I call it, or the front end loose to add small parts and detail like hand rails and lubrication pipe work ect. at a later date.

(A dry test fit, running plate not soldered just loosely fitted, valve gear yet to be changed)

I test fitted the body to the chassis, and I shortened the front of the chassis allowing the body to fit, I also checked the body against the 4mm drawing of the Hush Hush and found Finecast's body to be 3mm sort at the front (Mainly the running plate) end which was surprising, although I am sure most kits do have some errors in them, sadly not having any suitable metal to add in to extend the front by 3mm, so for now I will have to leave it as it is, which will mean there isn't such a big over hang of the front bogie. You can see what I mean on the image below.

(Model overlaid on drawings showing a 3mm difference)
Old 15-01-2017, 08:17 AM   #100
Captain Bubble

I look forward to seeing progress.

I do a bit about the Hush Hush, but did not realise that it was a 4-6-4, was this unique for UK?