Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Location location location

Location location location Where can I keep my model railway?

Old 21-01-2017, 09:30 PM   #31
martinfbrown

martinfbrown is on a distinguished road

I have had my layout in the loft for over 20 years, and have had no problems with track buckling at all. I converted it from DC to DCC last year, and did replace some track/points, but most of the track work is over 20 years old.
Old 30-01-2017, 08:40 PM   #32
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Only once suffered from track expansion and was on a layout I used to have in the bedroom. Was a hot summer one year. I think I played the track in a winter because I did end up with quite a kink in it, but only in one place. On a curve made from Peco flexible track. It kinked outwards on both sides. I did get the cutting disc out and cut both rails near the area to relieve it a little. The kinks remained for years until I finally dismantled the layout. They were not enough to prevent the trains running over them.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:11 AM   #33
steveg1966

steveg1966 is on a distinguished road

Track expansion interesting thought I wonder if peco,hornby etc. have done tests to see what the heat tolerance is on track and at what air temperature it begins to buckle and expand once laid and pined. I use a paper clip as a gauge between each length to create a gap of about 1mm at the joint.
steveg1966 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 12:33 PM   #34
Tinker
MPS

Tinker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg1966 View Post
Track expansion interesting thought I wonder if peco,hornby etc. have done tests to see what the heat tolerance is on track and at what air temperature it begins to buckle and expand once laid and pined. I use a paper clip as a gauge between each length to create a gap of about 1mm at the joint.
One occasion my loft reached 40c turned on a fan and it dropped quite quickly, the peco flexitrack never buckled, got a bit gappy on the coldest days this winter but nothing sliding the rails along to even out the gap didn't cure, i need to make the door to seal it off from the un-insulated other half of the loft and stick a radiator in my bit, but for a un-heated loft a 2kw fan heater only needs to be on for 20 minutes and it comfy to work in......
Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:40 PM   #35
Jimbecile

Jimbecile is on a distinguished road

I'm glad I found this thread - I have two options for building my layout. One is a room that I currently use as a study/office type space (but actually largely underused, I basically just use the corner where my desk is) and the other is up in the loft.

The loft would clearly give me more space but cost a lot more as I presume it would require some form of insulation to the roof and/or possibly even an air conditioning unit. In summer it is baking up there, too hot to stay up for long, while in winter a jacket and gloves would be required! The effect of such extreme temperatures on the locos and equipment worries me, along with potentially any dampness.
Jimbecile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:55 PM   #36
Tinker
MPS

Tinker is on a distinguished road

I brought 6 rolls of fiber glass from B&Q 75 (or less) and had a wood yard cut 1/4 ply into 400mm strips to clad the loft inside, this winter i used on a few occasions a 2kw heater didn't need to be on more than 30 minutes to bring the temp up to around 60f, damp never noticed any, heat in the summer a fan mayed it manageable a door on the half of the loft i use would help, maybe this year will see it done......
Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote