Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Forum Information > The Welcome Forum

The Welcome Forum Just joined, say hello in here!

Old 10-05-2018, 08:10 AM   #1
jhbanks

jhbanks is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up New to rail

75 years young and am going to introduce a 3 year old to rail. Big fan of meccanno as a boy but no trains. I’ll catch up.
I live in Paddington, NSW 3km from Sydney CBD. We don’t seem to have the rail culture here compared to the UK where I left (Stoke-on-Trent) in 1951.
Regards
John

Last edited by jhbanks; 10-05-2018 at 08:12 AM.
jhbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:26 AM   #2
RogerB

RogerB is on a distinguished road

Hi John, welcome to the forum. Look forward to hearing more from you as your plans progress. R-
Old 10-05-2018, 08:42 AM   #3
Raetiamann

Raetiamann is on a distinguished road

Hello John, welcome. There is quite a bit of rail activity down under. A good freight scene via the ports and Hunter Valley coal, Tec. Sydney Trains run a decent service, though sometimes very slow. I've been passed by cyclists a few times. NSW is the only place I've got from Newcastle to Cardiff in 20 minutes!

Are you going to model Australian, or elsewhere?
Raetiamann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:50 AM   #4
Michael P

Michael P is on a distinguished road

Morning John and welcome to the friendliest forum around. Lots of good solid real world advice available from members so ask away.
Michael P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:00 AM   #5
Mr Bones
Privateer

Mr Bones is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum John. Friendly helpful bunch on here, enjoy.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:20 AM   #6
ians
Talkative Member

ians is on a distinguished road

Welcome - ask and you shall get an answer to the best of everyone's knowledge and ability (in relation to rail things of course!)
ians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:57 AM   #7
mijj

mijj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbanks View Post
75 years young and am going to introduce a 3 year old to rail. Big fan of meccanno as a boy but no trains. Iíll catch up.
I live in Paddington, NSW 3km from Sydney CBD. We donít seem to have the rail culture here compared to the UK where I left (Stoke-on-Trent) in 1951.
Regards
John
Hello John, welcome to the site. I am also 75 and 10/12s.....
Plenty of help here just ask away .
Jim.
mijj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:09 AM   #8
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to the forum. Probably the best advice I can think of with a 3 ear old, is to buy something cheap and robust. I dont know what is available around where you live.
A sensible route is to buy a cheap trainset. If Hattons in Liverpool still have them, they were doing cheap Hornby starter trainsets for about £45-£65 (Stirling). You may have to enquire about postage rates and availability.

I'd not go too elaborate to start with. Just a nice trainset style oval of track can give hours of fun for all ages! Just a simple DC trainset and you can't go wrong. (DCC is also available which is a more advanced way to control trains but to be honest, for what you describe I'd go for the simpler DC. You can always upgrade at a later date if you want to choose DCC. Is the same track and trains you use as very few locos can't be converted).

00 (E.g. the Hornby train sets mentioned above) is the most popular scale in the uk and H0 is for most of the rest of the world. The good thing is that both 00 and H0, though the scales are slightly different, they both share the same track gauge so one can run both on the same layout if desired.
There are many different scales and gauges out there, and I did once set out to write a table of these but there were so many that I didnt get very far!
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:06 PM   #9
jhbanks

jhbanks is on a distinguished road

Thank you. I’ve bought the Hornby Thomas & Friends with all the tracks and other accessories as the starter. So I guess with a young companion I’ll start with DS. But after a short time researching I am anamoured with the potential of DSS. Maybe I’ll need to get my own������
jhbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:17 PM   #10
Bulleidboy

Bulleidboy is on a distinguished road

Welcome John - Welcome to the forum. As you will see from the many replies - lots of friendly help and advice available. BB