Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Wiring & Electronics > Other

Old 12-05-2016, 04:27 PM   #11
Flashbang
Administrator

Flashbang will become famous soon enough

The only problem with the twin coil latching relay linked too is that its 5 volt coil operation.. Cant be used on nominal 12v DC but is OK for use with a battery or with a 5v voltage regulator on 12v.

If you used one of those with standard reed switches the relay will keep latching and unlatching as the reed switches pass over the fixed magnets position!

i.e. Front reed latches relay on and turns lights On and as rear reed passes over the magnet it unlatches the relay and turns the lights Off! Swap the two reeds around and as the first passes over the magnet is unlatches the relay and turns the lights Off and as soon as the rear passes over the magnet the relay latches and turns the lights back On. Which means that they will be On until another magnet is passed over, but as soon as the rear reed reaches this magnet they will be back On again! Or have I missed something?
Old 12-05-2016, 04:52 PM   #12
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashbang View Post
The only problem with the twin coil latching relay linked too is that its 5 volt coil operation.. Cant be used on nominal 12v DC but is OK for use with a battery or with a 5v voltage regulator on 12v.

If you used one of those with standard reed switches the relay will keep latching and unlatching as the reed switches pass over the fixed magnets position!

i.e. Front reed latches relay on and turns lights On and as rear reed passes over the magnet it unlatches the relay and turns the lights Off! Swap the two reeds around and as the first passes over the magnet is unlatches the relay and turns the lights Off and as soon as the rear passes over the magnet the relay latches and turns the lights back On. Which means that they will be On until another magnet is passed over, but as soon as the rear reed reaches this magnet they will be back On again! Or have I missed something?
The same guy also sells 12v versions - I know I just received 5 off him this morning.

I thought that's what the OP wanted - a place to switch them on and a place to switch them off again!

I don't get the magazine so I'm just guessing?

Of course you will have to place the reed switches and magnets so that they don't interfere with each other!

Last edited by Teedoubleudee; 12-05-2016 at 05:00 PM.
Teedoubleudee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:22 PM   #13
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

This is the kind of idea I had in mind
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reed cct.jpg (247.5 KB, 24 views)
Old 12-05-2016, 08:42 PM   #14
4VEP
Hornby Collector

4VEP is on a distinguished road

The problem for which a latching reed switch is the proposed solution is that you need a way to turn battery powered coach lighting on and off without an external switch.

Could this method could be used to tell the train had arrived at the station on DCC?
Old 12-05-2016, 09:24 PM   #15
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4VEP View Post
The problem for which a latching reed switch is the proposed solution is that you need a way to turn battery powered coach lighting on and off without an external switch.

Could this method could be used to tell the train had arrived at the station on DCC?
If you running DCC my circuit will work great by adding a bridge rectifier and smoothing cap.and connect it to the pick ups. That way you don't need a battery or an external switch,. I have added tail lamps to guards vans using this method. Though I think you said you wanted it for N gauge so space starts to become a problem.

If you are looking for an occupation indication you would need the magnet on the train and the reed switches in the track. I used a similar circuit before to make the arrival of a train on a loop to set off another from a different track. Reed relays are very useful on model rail layouts if you are adventurous .
Old 12-05-2016, 10:57 PM   #16
Flashbang
Administrator

It will work. But which ever way the two reed swiches are position the magnet will turn On or Off the lights. But it will do this in the length of the carriage as each reed switch is activated by the magnet. So one way you get as the magent is passed over an On then immediatly after an Off, or the other way On then Off!
Old 12-05-2016, 11:07 PM   #17
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

Each carriage will light as it goes past the On magnet, then off as it passes the Off magnet. Assuming the On and Off magnets are on different sides of the layout, they will be lit for half the circuit. It might look strange as each one lights in turn but this could be hidden from view.

Perhaps it would help if we knew what the RM article was trying to achieve, and how!
Old 12-05-2016, 11:22 PM   #18
Flashbang
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teedoubleudee View Post
Each carriage will light as it goes past the On magnet, then off as it passes the Off magnet. Assuming the On and Off magnets are on different sides of the layout, they will be lit for half the circuit. It might look strange as each one lights in turn but this could be hidden from view.

Perhaps it would help if we knew what the RM article was trying to achieve, and how!
No that is not quite correct.. The same magent will operate both the On and Off functions.
So as the magnet is passed over depending on how the reed switches are installed will give .... Latch On immediatly followed by Unlatch Off. Or Unlatch Off immediatly followed by Latch On.
Old 13-05-2016, 09:01 AM   #19
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

FB, see post #12, last remark. The on magnet and reed switch will be placed so as not to interfere with the off magnet and reed switch. Typically this will mean siting one on one side of the coach and track and the other pair on the other side. The magnets would probabaly be set at the side of the track, say hidden on the platform side and the switches mounted at left and right site of coach either under the frame or inside the coach at the same height as the magnets.
Old 13-05-2016, 03:22 PM   #20
4VEP
Hornby Collector

4VEP is on a distinguished road

The Railway Modeller article is about N gauge, but it says "Also suitable for OO gauge".

Thr circuit uses 3V LED lights and two batteries either AG1, AG3, AG4. If you are in a OO carriage you could use the larger AG10, AG12, AG13. These batteries are available from Poundland as a set of 30. You get five x AG1..AG13 for 1.

The article mentions Rapido trains n Scale easy peasy which uses a magnetic wand to turn lights on which is how he got the idea. The lights can be turned off when the train is out of view. In this way the batteries seldom need changing.