Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Specific Gauge Topics > OO Scale

OO Scale OO model railway topics

Old 27-06-2018, 10:18 PM   #11
cadman

cadman is on a distinguished road

@ OOLiveSteam......... I would have thought your questions should be directed to the members of the OO Live Steam Club some of whom own and run the Hornby Steam Mallard.......this topic is repeated twice on the Hornby Forum by PlanesTV and looks as if this is all just a load of publicity........HB
cadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 10:28 PM   #12
OOLiveSteam

OOLiveSteam is on a distinguished road

It is exactly that cadman. A publicity exercise to draw attention to the 14,000 or so dormant Hornby Live Steam models.

The brand got a bad start and got discontinued because owners didn't get instant gratification and put them away.

What only a handful of people ever got to discover was that these gems of model engineering behave SO like the original, warts and all, that they are immense fun.

Hornby are in no position to put them back into production but they dont need to. There are thousands out there waiting to be discovered and enjoyed.

A bit of publicity - a lot of publicity - is what is needed and have fun at the same time.
OOLiveSteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 10:38 PM   #13
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a bit of fun.

By the way how do you know there are 14000 dormant locos?
Old 28-06-2018, 11:14 PM   #14
Bunkerbarge

Bunkerbarge is on a distinguished road

Probably just estimated from how many they sold, with an allowance for those few that are maybe damaged beyond repair. The Double Tender Flying Scotsman was actually a limited edition so they were all numbered but all the others were sold in far greater quantities.

There were a few different colour schemes but basically just the two models, an A3 and an A4.

I've got two of them for a very reasonable price but looking at the silly numbers on ebay I'm starting to wonder whether I should sell them and get myself a few DCC locos instead. I've run them both on the OO Live Steam Club track and they both work very well and the pull of wanting to see them go around my own layout is very strong!
Bunkerbarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 11:48 PM   #15
Bunkerbarge

To give you an idea if you mark out 2.1 metres on your layout that is equivilent to 1/10th of a mile in OO scale.

If your locomotive can go through the marks in 2.86 seconds that is equivilent to 126 mph. How on earth you go about measuring that I have no idea but I suspect someone out there can come up with a sensor that can trigger a timer.
Old 29-06-2018, 09:05 AM   #16
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkerbarge View Post
To give you an idea if you mark out 2.1 metres on your layout that is equivilent to 1/10th of a mile in OO scale.

If your locomotive can go through the marks in 2.86 seconds that is equivilent to 126 mph. How on earth you go about measuring that I have no idea but I suspect someone out there can come up with a sensor that can trigger a timer.
You can buy them, at least in usa where they run a lot of consists so need to speed match the locos. Looks like a short tunnel with sensors at each end and a timer disply. Ive seen at least one example on youtube
Old 29-06-2018, 09:24 AM   #17
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkerbarge View Post

Why a short 2.1 metres. Make it at least twice that. Accurate time measurement between two points is easy. Sensors to do this are available. Can also be done handraulically with a digital stop watch.
Old 29-06-2018, 09:34 AM   #18
ians
Talkative Member

ians is on a distinguished road

I suspect the lag between an eye judging the start and end points will be a significant portion of the time.

A hand operated stop watch (ie a mobile phone with stop watch feature - most have them) will not be accurate enough to time down to the 1/100th of a second when hand operated. Digital timing is needed.
ians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 09:37 AM   #19
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Hey we are talking about timing a model loco not a world land speed record. .

We all know 126mph will be a piece of cake. Some people run their locos at an average scale speed of about 200mph all the time

As has been stated before a scale 126 will look ridiculously fast.

Last edited by Walkingthedog; 29-06-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Walkingthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 09:41 AM   #20
Bunkerbarge

Completely agree, 2.1 meters is just a convenient 1/10th of a mile.

Use 21 meters if you want that would be considerably more accurate but I suspect that most of us will be constrained by the configuration of our layout rather than anything else and finding a 2.1 metre stretch is probably doable for most.

I'm sure that we can all pick the best stretch out of our own layouts and measure out a marked distance to work out the speed from.

I only picked 2.1 meters as that just happens to make the sums easy.