Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Specific Gauge Topics > OO Scale

OO Scale OO model railway topics

Old 18-06-2018, 06:35 PM   #1
Bunkerbarge

Bunkerbarge is on a distinguished road
Default Dynamometer Car

Gents, and any ladies there may be out there, I would very much appreciate your input and thoughts to help me with something I have been thinking over for some time.

I am modelling an LNER area in around 1948 so tend to keep my purchases along those lines. I like the fact that it allows me to do heavily weathered war time black locos as well as some transitional items as we get ready for BR yet still have plenty of war time stock and accessories. I tend to go for second hand coaches and waggons as I cannot justify to myself the price of up to £50.00 per coach or £25.00 for a waggon however I prefer to go with new locos for the peace of mind and the warranty.

I have seen the new dynamometer car that Rails of Sheffield have commissioned and, of course, I particularly like the 1948 version used in the transition period for speed trials. My problem is this, do I buy one at £125.00 for a single coach or stay with my current philosophy and ignore it. I think it is a beautiful model and will obviously look the part on my layout but for that money I could be looking at buying four other coaches or converting a loco to DCC sound operation. That is a lot of money for a single coach.

Then, if I buy it do I weather it, as everything else on my layout will be weathered? If I don't it will look odd and, if I do, it will slash its value.

If I bought one and didn't weather it would I be going to the dark side and becoming a collector?

I tend to think I should forget it but I know they will sell out very quickly and they will never be available again so I have to make a decision and stand by it.
Bunkerbarge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 06:50 PM   #2
RogerB

RogerB is on a distinguished road

I too used to be indecisive but now, ..... you know the rest. R-
Old 18-06-2018, 06:59 PM   #3
yelrow

yelrow is an unknown quantity at this point

You could buy one on eBay. My view is what you have never had,you never miss. Sounds like more money than sense to me, but then what do I know, John
yelrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 07:07 PM   #4
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

I’d have thought the dynamometer coach would have been kept in tip top condition.
Old 18-06-2018, 07:15 PM   #5
yelrow

I think that answers the question, As an aside, I have never understood guys buying locos,then defacing them by weathering them, I suppose each to their own, but would they weather their motor bikes,push bikes, etc, surely this dévalués the item. John
Old 18-06-2018, 08:25 PM   #6
Bunkerbarge

For me weathering is all about making them look 'real' not necessarily looking 'dirty'. Even rolling stock ex works could be weathered to add that level of realism not seen on an out of the box scale model.

As regards bikes I have made many model motorcycles over the years and have always incorporated some degree of weathering, even on what would be considered a 'new' bike. Enhancements such as washes to accentuate the shadows and a bit of dry brushing to bring out the highlights might be all you need to bring out a higher level of realism.

I agree such a coach as a dynamometer car would be very well looked after but there is no doubt whatsoever that the roof would be showing signs of soot deposits and below the solebar would still have evidence of track dust and grease around the axle boxes and the buffer ends.
Old 18-06-2018, 08:38 PM   #7
yelrow

Enhancement.? I think that is open to dispute.to pay £100 plus, then dirty it. Would not manufacturer have Taken that into account.. must be a modern way of thinking, as I would not even think of applying anything to any of my locos, other than oil. No doubt , many will disagree. John
Old 18-06-2018, 09:01 PM   #8
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

Hi Richard,,,,,,,I agree that the dynamometer Car is a lovely model. I have never spent that much on a coach. Ever. If I did buy it new my thoughts are not to weather it but keep it as new. If I decided to sell it later I think it would be easier to sell later. Just my thoughts you understand. I would like one my self but to much for my budget. ..............John
Old 18-06-2018, 09:04 PM   #9
Postman Prat

Postman Prat is on a distinguished road

Hi

I've just been drifting through the LNER Encyclopaedia forum and I found a thread in the modelling section about the Dynamometer Car which I found interesting (Did you know the D.Car had to be turned at the end of it's journey and placed at the other end of the train - I didn't!).
Lots of comments about the model, very few good

The light at the end of the tunnel is probably a train coming towards you
Postman Prat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 09:07 PM   #10
Bunkerbarge

Many thanks for the thoughts John, I think I'm pretty much on the same page as you. Much as I really like the model I'm not sure I can justify such an expense for a single coach.