Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Specific Gauge Topics > OO Scale

OO Scale OO model railway topics

Old 04-06-2018, 05:14 PM   #1
Bobzilla

Bobzilla is on a distinguished road
Default OO tanks jumping off track

I've got a couple of OO tanks (smokey joe et al) and they seem to be very bad for jumping off the track. This is a first radius oval which they should be fine on, with no points.

Any suggestions? Is it just more weight needed, or anything else I can do?

Ta
Bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:31 PM   #2
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

Is the track fixed down and perfectly flat?

Is the track joined together perfectly, in other words no kinks?

How fast do you run the locos?
Old 04-06-2018, 05:34 PM   #3
chris_db4

chris_db4 is on a distinguished road

Do they do it with and without wagons in tow? as it could be the coupling binding and pulling them off
is it randomly around the track including straights or just one place? for damaged track or a fishplate that has been missed giving a slight step
I would guess that if its several locos all doing it then its unlikely to be the same fault on all of them. can you try them on a larger radius for a test?
chris_db4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:51 PM   #4
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

Probably speed I would guess, these little locos tend to have a higher center of gravity than you might expect.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:52 PM   #5
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Is unusual as these will run on a diameter half the width of 1st radius curves. Check to see that none of the railjoiners have slipped under the rail and not onto the rail as they should do. Before we turn to the locos themselves, check the track top surface. When building my own track, if one rail is higher then the other things won't stay on it. Then do a quick check of the gauge of the track that the two rails dont have a small area where they come together to squeeze the locos off the track. This is rare with ready made track but if a rail has been distorted, it can happen.
Now check the locos wheels. A quick check for buckles. Secondly check the wheels back to back measurement. Get your newest bought wagon or coach. See if the width of the wheel flanges are similar. (They maybe slightly different as long as it isn't too far different).
The weight hasn't been removed from the loco has it?
Check the coupling hooks themselves. They should always engage on the left of the item being pulled. If on the wrong side, the loco will de-rail.
I hope these pointers will find the issue. Checking the locos is the last resort as 9 times out of 10 it will be the track that is the issue.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:56 AM   #6
Pedros

Pedros is on a distinguished road

Those Smokey Joes and the like can go like the devil. There may well be a track issue, but speed and a high centre of gravity could be it, or certainly a contributing factor if your other locos with different wheel configurations don't derail.

It's funny, but with the real thing, generally the bigger the engine, the faster it can go (depending on gearing) but with models, many with the same motor, the opposite can be true.
Pedros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:11 AM   #7
Bobzilla

Totally unloaded, no bodywork, just the weighted metal chassis.

I suspect that speed is the issue (they do go like the clappers), coupled with no load.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:39 AM   #8
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

The body works weight along with the internal weight helps keep the loco on the track. The saddle tanks have a metal surround (Frame) and the chassis is plastic. (The frame acts as a weight so the loco should stay on the track ok if being run with the frame on. They dont tend to like running just with the chassis alone as they are a little light weight to keep on the track, and besides that, the piston rods (If fitted) will be moving in all directions!
The other designs using the same chassis all have plastic bodies. Later locos have a far slower top speed.
If it has a metal chassis it will be an earlier Triang loco. Dapol did do a Pug which Hornby now make the model and its been years since I've had one so I can't remember how it was made other then the tiny little motor which didn't look that impressive. It went well though and could crawl very slowly.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:28 AM   #9
Bobzilla

Its a metal surround one.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:00 PM   #10
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Plastic chassis with a metal frame and then a plastic body on top. Like one of these.... (See pic). I'd still check the track first. Is it on a specific piece of track that you are having the issue?
The first loco is the standard saddle tank that you may have. Yours maybe a different colour and livery.
The second loco uses most of the first loco as a home built conversion to narrow gauge. The third loco (Green one) used to have the same chassis as (It uses a Smallbrook Studio body kit on it) the other two but was later changed to a Triang chassis. It still shares the same parts like wheels, motor etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171019_142325.jpg (248.8 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 05-06-2018 at 01:01 PM.