Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Specific Gauge Topics > OO Scale

OO Scale OO model railway topics

Old 30-05-2018, 11:23 PM   #11
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Neither would I. I can just see modellers go on strike and avoid buying any new models until the prices come down...

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 30-05-2018 at 11:24 PM.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 11:40 PM   #12
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedros View Post
It'd be really interesting to see what they cost to make....
About five years ago in the newsagents there were a series that one collected every week that had model railway items in them, the idea being that the finished product would be a model railway. The first of the series had a single piece of track, a decent bogie coach, part of a paste on to the board track plan and some illustrated literature to put in a file. The price? All this for less then 5. I expected further installments to have massively increased prices so that the finished layout would cost much more then if one had bought the same products from a model railway shop, but from those who bought the series, they said they worked it out to be less or at the most, about the same if one bought stuck to the bargains in the shops.
Now the series expected the first edition to sell out quick but only a few to collect the series, so they would be stupid to sell the first edition at a loss, so this first edition coach cost them less then 2.50 to produce (As the newsagents and the wholesalers have to have their cuts out of the sale).
Let me give the details of the coach. A reasonably well detailed Mk1 coach in maroon with close coupling and scale 14mm metal wheels (They look plastic but are actually metal). The windows were flush glazed and the coaches seemed to be a cut above Railroad standards though maybe not quite what we see as the 40-60 coaches on the market today.
It really made me wake up to how much profit someone is making somewhere down the line in regards to our normal RTR models.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 07:49 AM   #13
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

One of the reasons prices have risen is because they now have to pay the Chinese who make them a living wage. Prices are still cheaper than they were in the 50/60s compared to wages .
Old 04-06-2018, 12:37 PM   #14
Bobzilla

Bobzilla is on a distinguished road

Are you looking for the non-standard coaches? If not, I'd be looking for a full train and then selling the drive cars.
Bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 01:09 PM   #15
chris_db4

chris_db4 is on a distinguished road

Oddly enough there seems to be a fair amount of availability of the grey east coast ones at reasonable prices but the virgin coaches are rare, well they weren't around in real life that long either I suppose
chris_db4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:37 PM   #16
Paul Palmer

Paul Palmer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_db4 View Post
Oddly enough there seems to be a fair amount of availability of the grey east coast ones at reasonable prices but the virgin coaches are rare, well they weren't around in real life that long either I suppose
the virgin coaches are still in use,these are ones I'm on about and making silly money
Attached Images
File Type: jpg th.jpg (5.7 KB, 8 views)
Paul Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:40 PM   #17
Paul Palmer

I am getting around it,thanks to postman prats reply below
Whenever there's a change of ownership there will be mixed livery trains. You can't paint all of your locos and rolling stock overnight.
so I am adding some grey east coast coaches to my Hornby virgin R 3501 train pack
Old 05-06-2018, 10:29 AM   #18
chris_db4

chris_db4 is on a distinguished road

carefully cut the virgin and east coast ones in half length ways and stick them together going one way will be a virgin train and reverse it turns into an east coast?
chris_db4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:54 PM   #19
Paul Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_db4 View Post
carefully cut the virgin and east coast ones in half length ways and stick them together going one way will be a virgin train and reverse it turns into an east coast?
Splendid idea