Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Specific Gauge Topics > OO Scale

OO Scale OO model railway topics

Old 18-05-2018, 08:59 AM   #1
Lexicaltje

Lexicaltje is on a distinguished road
Default Whatís your favourite loco / best runner?

Iím sure this question has been asked many times! Genuinely interested to find out which is your favourite loco From your collection. Also out of the ones you own which are particularly good runners? Smooth, good slow speed movement etc...

I think my favourite is my 8750 Bachmann pannier which I had custom weathered by my local model shop. Just love the detail on it. Itís not a brilliant runner though as itís a bit old.

My best runner is probably my recently purchased 56XX by Bachmann again. Amazing slow speed movement and smooth as you like.

Will put a few pictures up later.
Lexicaltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 09:22 AM   #2
Raetiamann

Raetiamann is on a distinguished road

For me it's a Bachmann class 37/0, which has sound and is weathered and renumbered. It runs on dcc and is slowed down. It really growls as it accelerates slowly.
Raetiamann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 12:00 PM   #3
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

Bachmann Class 20s are very good. Very difficult to say though. I have alway thought Hornby steam locos run better than Bachmann. Iíll have to give every loco a run and get back to you in a month or so.
Old 18-05-2018, 01:11 PM   #4
minipix

minipix is on a distinguished road

I'm totally in love with my Hornby J93. It's just the right fit for my layout, what with its tight corners, and the short wheelbase 0-6-0 handles it just fine. It's silky smooth, even on my dodgy old rusty track. I'm on DC, using an old Gaugemaster controller, and it runs impressively slowly, ideal for smooth starting and stopping and shunting.

I've also got an old(ish) Bachmann 57xx, which is beautiful, and similarly smooth. Unfortunately it doesn't cope with my tight radius curves so I can't use it on my current layout.
Old 18-05-2018, 01:52 PM   #5
Bunkerbarge

Bunkerbarge is on a distinguished road

My smoothest two are a Hornby J15 and a Hornby J50. Both go incredibly slow however the J50 is fitted with energy storage capacitors so you would expect extreemly smooth slow running.
Bunkerbarge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 02:11 PM   #6
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

I agree my J50 runs like a dream and doesnít have anything fitted. Not a single stutter at the slowest of speeds on points or diamond crossings.

Last edited by Walkingthedog; 18-05-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Walkingthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 04:44 PM   #7
4VEP
Hornby Collector

4VEP is on a distinguished road

My best loco is the Heljan Class 33
Old 18-05-2018, 04:49 PM   #8
Lexicaltje

Lexicaltje is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4VEP View Post
My best loco is the Heljan Class 33
Need to get something from Heljan, not sure what yet though. Don't know much about Heljan and the quality of their locos.

Here's my little pannier. Was in direct sunlight so shows up all the dust on it! Needs a bit of a clean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0595.jpg (380.0 KB, 21 views)
Lexicaltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 04:52 PM   #9
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a few 00 gauge locos that are exceptional runners. All wheel drive (Or nearly all wheel drive) central motored diesels with all wheel pick ups etc would be the best runners though many others come close.
My favourite is this one below (My 0-16.5 number one "Ruthy"). She started life as a standard Smallbrook Studio Clio kit, and went from there. She's had coal bunkers added and a very much modified Triang chassis from a Triang 0-4-0 (The body also needed work to get it all to fit). The Triang chassis is more solid then the Hornby 0-4-0 chassis. Nothing wrong with the Hornby chassis. The maziac weight which acts as a chassis frame spacer was cut in half so it is the same height as the frames (Took a while to cut!) And at both ends the maziac weights were milled (Couldn't drill) to make holes in them for a bolt and a screw to hold the body on the chassis. Modern Hornby motor, gears and wheels are used. It is a slower running Hornby motor/gear combination. I had to make new wheel contacts and underneath PCB type board to solder the contacts to. It took a bit of messing as I used single strands of bicycle gear cable to use as contacts and they needed repositioning quite a few times. The contacts touch the wheels at six points of contact. Four behind each of the four wheels (The same way as Hornby 0-4-0's contact), and two on the wheel treads themselves on one of the pairs of wheels. If I've not run it for a while it takes a few revolutions for the wheel contacts to clean themselves to run well, and once it does it runs fine!
The model has my own design central buffer type couplings and home made name and number plates.
The only downside to the model is that I'd already added weight inside the coal bunkers. The body kit has inbuilt lead shot inside the saddle water tank casting, and with the weight of the more recent Triang modified chassis, the model is heavy! It just doesn't do wheelspins! I tried it out on a brief run and it pulled ten or eleven 00 gauge coaches when I got to test it at the Swansea model railway club open day on their test track layout.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170822_150459.jpg (219.9 KB, 8 views)
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 04:59 PM   #10
cadman

cadman is on a distinguished road

My favorite at present is a Bachmann Patriot 'Sir Frank Ree' fitted with a SoundTrax Econami decoder & Zimo '3D' speaker and synchronised chuff......excellent motor control..............HB

Patriot Sir Frank Ree.jpg
cadman is offline   Reply With Quote