Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Wiring & Electronics > Other

Old 06-09-2017, 06:45 PM   #1
Flashbang
Administrator

Flashbang will become famous soon enough
Default Arduino Uno or Raspberry Pi 3

I, not being a keen PC user for model railway control, have perhaps become a dinosaur!

So, I've been giving some thought to dipping my proverbial toe into the computer layout operation of mainly accesories.

Problem is, I'm now torn between the much cheaper Arduino Uno board of the Raspberry Pi.

Which one has any forum users found best and more so, easier to use?
Old 06-09-2017, 06:56 PM   #2
cadman

cadman is on a distinguished road

Hi FB......I would have thought MERG would be more your bag.........HB
cadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:16 PM   #3
BigTed

BigTed is on a distinguished road

I'm using a Pi with a SPROG for my DCC control. I'm a pretty seasoned Raspberry Pi user over the years. I have a few of them dotted around performing various tasks.

You don't mention a SPROG so guess you may be going your own way with a command station, or just using it to tinker.

I have a lot of positive things to say about the SPROG. The JMRI interface, Decoder Pro etc. have been an excellent and very intuitive first step into DCC control.

Any questions, I'll help if I can.
BigTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:39 PM   #4
Mr Bones
Privateer

Mr Bones is on a distinguished road

Been contemplating this myself. For what it's worth most of the video's I've come across where people are using them on their layouts seem to be the Arduino. That's not to say the Pi won't work (as BigTed has stated above), but I do try not to reinvent wheel. Be interested to see what others have experienced.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:17 PM   #5
Cudworth

Cudworth is on a distinguished road

You don't need a R-Pi3 for Layout Purposes. An original Model B R-Pi1 and a Chinese Arduino clone will do.

It is easier to programme the Arduino from the Raspberry Pi. You just plug the Arduino into the R-Pi-s USB port.

Study the articles on the following web site.

https://www.gadgetdaily.xyz/program-...-raspberry-pi/

https://www.gadgetdaily.xyz/arduino-...y-pi-part-two/
Cudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:41 PM   #6
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

It really depends on what you want to do FB. I have a few microprocessors running individual accessories that include movement, light and sound (NOT loco sound!). If you want to use computers to actually drive your trains that's another thing entirely - I have Hornby Rail Master as a back up to my NCE Powercab but that is all. You need to specify what you you actually want to do.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:28 AM   #7
Suzie

Suzie is on a distinguished road

Hi

The Pi and Arduino are quite different beasts which makes them both suitable in their own way - but you might need both.

The Pi is a full-blown 'PC' which is ideally suited to running the high level software that controls the whole layout. It runs a proper operating system (Linux) and can run popular control software with a nice graphic interface (JMRI, RocRail, etc.) and make use of the wireless network to use smartphones as wireless throttles if you are keen. It has USB ports to plug in to your command station of choice (Sprog for example but can be almost anything) and you plug in a screen (HDMI TV etc.), keyboard and mouse.

While the Pi does have a small amount of I/O to connect to accessories, this is where the arduinos come in to their own because their low cost makes it possible to use many of them as accessory decoders or feedback encoders. There are a lot of resources online for using the Arduino as an accessory decoder.

Start off with a Pi 3 (earlier Pi models are usable - but the Pi 3 is way better, ten times faster than a Pi 2, and probably forty times faster than a Pi 1 or Pi +, so unless someone is giving you an old Pi buy a Pi 3). This will allow you to get a feel for the key hardware and software (JMRI is a good place to start), connect a command station and then see what you need going forward from there.

Suzie x
Suzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:45 PM   #8
Mr Bones
Privateer

Mr Bones is on a distinguished road

Sound advice Suzie, thank you.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:38 PM   #9
BigTed

BigTed is on a distinguished road

A minor detail, but the SPROG connects to Pi through the GPIO interface rather than USB.
BigTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:09 PM   #10
Suzie

Suzie is on a distinguished road

It depends which Sprog you have - I have an ordinary Sprog 2 that plugs in to USB, the Pi Sprog (which requires a booster) does plug in to the GPIO. Either will work fine. Sprog 3 via USB is probably the easiest solution.

Suzie x
Suzie is offline   Reply With Quote