Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Forum Information > Site Help

Site Help Questions about using this site

Old 18-03-2017, 08:17 AM   #11
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Tinker is on a distinguished road

So sending it to anybody that gives you there "Whatsapp" details isn't going to work either.....

Have you this link in your library

http://www.derbysulzers.com/

Last edited by Tinker; 18-03-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 08:57 AM   #12
LC&DR
Goods Shunter (retired)

LC&DR is on a distinguished road

No. Why do you ask?
LC&DR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 08:57 AM   #13
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC&DR View Post
Sorry, but that doesn't mean a lot to me, a cloud is a big white fluffy thing in the sky. Remember you are dealing with a very old dinosaur when it comes to IT. I still regard these things as haunted typewriters. :-)
Sorry my friend one forgets

I've just stolen this extract from Wikipedia (full article HERE) to give you a basic insight to what is commonly know as the cloud or file sharing services:

Personal file storage

Personal file storage services are aimed at private individuals, offering a sort of "network storage" for personal backup, file access, or file distribution. Users can upload their files and share them publicly or keep them password-protected.

Document-sharing services allow users to share and collaborate on document files. These services originally targeted files such as PDFs, word processor documents, and spreadsheets. However many remote file storage services are now aimed at allowing users to share and sychronize all types of files across all the devices they use.

File sync and sharing services

File syncing and sharing services are file hosting services which allow users to create special folders on each of their computers or mobile devices, which the service then synchronizes so that it appears to be the same folder regardless of which computer is used to view it. Files placed in this folder also are typically accessible through a website and mobile apps, and can be easily shared with other users for viewing or collaboration.

Such services have become popular via consumer products such as Dropbox and Google Drive.

Google "cloud storage free" for lists of providers.

Last edited by Teedoubleudee; 18-03-2017 at 09:02 AM.
Teedoubleudee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 12:58 PM   #14
LC&DR
Goods Shunter (retired)

LC&DR is on a distinguished road

Ah, well, thanks, I have a big black box which plugs into the computer that does most of that and doesn't give me grief when the Broadband goes down. If I need to send large files anywhere (like to my publisher) I create a CD and send these to whoever needs it by post. That way I am reasonably certain no one else gets hold of it. Apart from large book manuscripts with embedded photos I usually never need to because up to now I haven't had a problem with file sizes.

I am not happy about putting my information willy-nilly on anyone else's computers. On this occasion I have created a list of codes and their meanings that I thought might be useful to others, but if I'd known it was so much hassle, I wouldn't have bothered.
LC&DR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 03:02 PM   #15
Rog (RJ)
Super Duper Moderator ;-)

Rog (RJ) is on a distinguished road

How about splitting it into a number of parts. You could do this manually or use a program such as HJSplit ( http://www.hjsplit.org ) to do it for you. I've used this program for a number of years without problems.

Rog (RJ)
Rog (RJ) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 03:20 PM   #16
Teedoubleudee
All round good guy

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

LC&DR, I understand you completely and I guess there are many others who feel the same. Off-Site storage has long been a must have for businesses as part of their "Disaster Recovery" procedures. As regards personal off-site storage this is a fairly recent offering and it's come about because of the continual reduction in the cost of disk storage allowing companies to build enormous data storage facilities and run them 24/7, some in bomb proof buildings. These companies all ready offer data storage to businesses so using the economy of scale model they can extend their data banks reasonably cheaply and pass the cost savings on to non business users.

There is no hassle involved. You just install an application on your computer like any other, set up your passwords, tell the "cloud" what to back up...and that's it. It can all run seamlessly in the background. Then, God forbid, if some low-life should break into your home, steal your computers and all your backups...........you just buy a new PC with the insurance money and within minutes you can have access to all your precious files, photos, videos, spreadsheets whatever. What could be simpler.