Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Members layouts

Members layouts Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects

Old 18-01-2018, 03:50 PM   #1
RogerB

RogerB is on a distinguished road
Default New End to End layout

As stated elsewhere I am changing my layout. I am going from a small (6' 6" x 4') roundy-roundy to a 10' x 2' end to end. I have ordered the baseboards from Model Railway Solutions and will be picking them up after a short break away. For now, I thought I would share with you the progress on dismantling VI. Here is as was on the left, and to the right how it looks today. I have all the electrics disconnected and am just in the process of soaking the first lengths of ballasted track prior to lifting them.

I found the destruction of VI hard work especially ferreting around under the layout, surprisingly therapeutic (worrying) and a little embarrassing. Not really knowing what I was doing in the early days I am surprised that it worked at all. Wires are spurred off each other and not remotely tidy, soldering is appalling and I lost count of how many wires I found that were doing nothing at all. Anyway, nothing caught fire and with the intervening years of advice from the forum, I am sure I will make a better job of VII.

More as it happens. R-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2359.jpg (537.8 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2487.jpg (826.0 KB, 106 views)

Last edited by RogerB; 18-01-2018 at 03:51 PM.
RogerB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 04:01 PM   #2
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

Roger think of all the things you did wrong and how this time you wonít make the same mistakes. When I built a new layout I didnít make the same mistakes, I made new ones.
Old 18-01-2018, 04:16 PM   #3
RogerB

Thanks, I look forward to the new error-laden future .

Seriously, I am sure there will be some old mistakes and some new ones but overall it will be better, hopefully. R-
Old 18-01-2018, 04:16 PM   #4
brian1951
Super Moderator

brian1951 is on a distinguished road

I know the feeling well Roger. It took 3 weeks to rip mine apart.
brian1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 04:19 PM   #5
RogerB

Ah yes, but your layout was the size of a small barn. This is dinky.

I am surprised how quickly PVA re-constitutes itself within the ballasting, don't know why, I've not done this before. Already got about 25% of the track up, and one point (without damage). I should be done in time for a snifter tomorrow night. R-
Old 18-01-2018, 04:22 PM   #6
brian1951
Super Moderator

brian1951 is on a distinguished road

Only needed one skip for the track and two for the all the boards.
brian1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 04:56 PM   #7
Shroomy
Chief Vinter

Shroomy is an unknown quantity at this point

All those previous mistake will now stand you in good stead for an outstanding layout
Good luck
Old 18-01-2018, 06:15 PM   #8
Bigfilmguy
Apprentice Track Layer

Bigfilmguy is on a distinguished road

I get why you are doing it, but it's still a little heart-breaking, surely? I must admit, I watched loads of Everard Junction videos on YouTube, and when he started ripping up the old layout, I got some dust in my eye or something...
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Bigfilmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 06:43 PM   #9
RogerB

I have to confess Craig it took me a good while to get started, but I rationalised it in the end by treating the first layout (since returning to the hobby) as a really long training exercise - 5 years. Now I'm going to build it properly and as space is at a premium I'm changing format also. R-
Old 19-01-2018, 11:04 AM   #10
RogerB

All track removed - two casualties, both long flexi pieces where I didn't notice the pin in time. Ripped the rails of the chairs. All points and the double slip intact. They will be for sale later as I am moving to electrofrog points. I am also thinning out the spare track box, goodness knows what I thought I might build one day - enough there for a small barn. Now, who do we know who's got a small barn with no layout in it? Hmmm.... R-