Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Members layouts

Members layouts Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects

Old 03-01-2018, 12:06 AM   #41
mijj

mijj is on a distinguished road

Both of those are looking great. I specially like the indication Tinker where you state the requirements for a gradient. I think I might get lost with all the switches HD, I'd have to start programming.
I have finished insulating and carpeting the garage (well my boys have ). I can see that soldering 'uphill' will present problems so will have to get my thinking cap on there. Looking at these layouts makes me want to change what I had in mind .
jim
mijj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:20 PM   #42
Hound Dog

Hound Dog is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulleidboy View Post
Looking good Richard - a lot of progress since you last posted. Have you been running a train(s) to see that everything works ok?
Thanks - yes all tracks, points and switches checked out and one or two test trains ran thru the storage yard and up / down incline..........once I got over a couple of shorts, including one caused by a rogue pair of pliers left across tracks at the other side of the layout, it remarkably all works as planned - really quite pleased with the result, but now need to get on with the main layout which has been neglected for months - cheers
Hound Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 04:51 PM   #43
Chops

Chops is on a distinguished road

I am turning blue!
Old 04-02-2018, 11:05 PM   #44
Hound Dog

Default Montgreenan Update

After working beneath the baseboards for months on my incline and low level storage yard, it has been a pleasant change to get back onto the main layout.

Before picking up where I left off, I decided to redo the track work at my main lift out section, as I had initially soldered the rails to screw heads at the joints, but subsequently felt that this would not last the test of time, and therefore replaced with copper sleepers.......much better job all round.

I have been fitting Cobalt Analog IP point motors to my reverse loop and branch section and decided I wanted to try to achieve another first by attempting to wire in LED's to primarily indicate when the Main-line was fully set..........took a few days of exercising the old grey cells to get my head around the wiring and necessary components etc, but as always slowly wins the race.

Given the "pulpit" of my run-around layout is to not overly large, I felt I did not have the space for a sizeable switch panel, and so I have decided to fit my point switches strategically around the layout as an integral part of the baseboard sides, after all it will probably only ever be me in my garage. To do this I have fabricated a wooden strip, which also serves as baseboard edge guard rail, and this also has the added advantage of making each baseboard effectively a standalone unit........already trying to plan for when Mrs Hound Dog decides it is time to move house, again.

Attached are some photos of my "homemade" switch panel, which shows green lights when the Mainline is set, and red if otherwise.........I also decided to use neat little circular On-On Rocker switches which I found on-line, as I felt the normal toggle type may get damaged if one was frequently leaning over the board edge etc..........anyway, it all seems to work fine and although somewhat basic in its construction and approach, I am really quite pleased with the result.

Tomorrow I have some tidying up to do and then I can finally move on to the next baseboard and hopefully start to finally make some progress towards completing the Main-line loop.

As always, any comments or suggestions welcomed - thanks Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Montgreenan - 1st Points Panel 1 .jpg (431.0 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Montgreenan - 1st Points Panel 2 .jpg (211.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Montgreenan - 1st Points Panel 3 .jpg (475.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Montgreenan - 1st Points Panel 4 .jpg (180.6 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by Hound Dog; 04-02-2018 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:24 AM   #45
mijj

mijj is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the pictures HD. Your steady progress has been wonderful, measured and inspiring. It does take a lot longer than we think and when I look at when I started I inevitably cannot believe it. You have achieved much and it's solid experience so very well done .
Jim.
mijj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:26 AM   #46
Raetiamann

Raetiamann is on a distinguished road

Looks excellent. Are you planning to model lines to/from the Ayrshire coalfields, the Stranraer or a fictitious location? Change to run some 20s and 26s there.
Raetiamann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:03 PM   #47
Hound Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raetiamann View Post
Looks excellent. Are you planning to model lines to/from the Ayrshire coalfields, the Stranraer or a fictitious location? Change to run some 20s and 26s there.
Hi........a fictitious location I am afraid, as my modelling skills are not yet at the stage that I could recreate a specific location, however be assured plenty of scope for class 20, 26 and 27 movements + hopefully a few off region visitors..........strangely as I get more into this hobby I sense a growing need to run the odd steam excursion, so trying to hone my layout plan to incorporate a Railway Hertitage centre.........lots of work to do first to even get close to this stage........thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:15 PM   #48
Hound Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijj View Post
Thanks for all the pictures HD. Your steady progress has been wonderful, measured and inspiring. It does take a lot longer than we think and when I look at when I started I inevitably cannot believe it. You have achieved much and it's solid experience so very well done .
Jim.
Many thanks Jim for the kind words and support.......for sure everything takes far longer than anticipated and it is amazing how quickly time passes just contemplating or pottering - I guess that is one of the attractions of the hobby and certainly I wonder what actually occupied my mind in the past........is it just me that is consumed by model railways and constantly looking to sneak away to my garage at any possible opportunity ?.....I have never done so many dishes or bought bottles of Prosecco to curry favour with Mrs Hound Dog, in order to get an unexpected pass-out to the garage.
Old 19-03-2018, 11:35 PM   #49
Hound Dog

Post Montgreenan Update

Hi - been a while since I posted anything but work is still slowly progressing on my first layout, and this weekend I managed to roughly layout and finalise almost my complete track plan on the actual baseboard surfaces, rather than just on Anyrail.

Recently the build plan required me to conquer what I hope to be the final major (or at least anticipated) hurdle, ie the completion of the main track loop and with that the incline / decline and associated bridge detail........I wanted to route a branch line under the main track on the far side of the layout, but the constraints of space placed a challenge to get the main line up and down sufficiently to allow a bridge of adequate height to enable the track to pass below..........in the end I had to compromise (again) by cutting a slot in the baseboard surface and affixing a board to the underside thus gaining about an extra 1cm or so, and this means the branch line now has a small but gradual descent / ascent as it passes under the bridge above.......sound a bit botched, but actually it works and looks ok.

I won't go into the detail of the main track ascent / descent, but the bridge required another first as I ventured into the world of scenery, and even produced some home made abutment walls etc........oh and of course the kit built Bowstring bridge, now painted in Forth Rail bridge type red oxide.

Attached is a very staged photo with nothing yet glued in place, but it hopefully gives a view of the construction etc........the branch line whilst not very prototypical comes thru a tunnel in the far left-hand rear (behind the bridge) and which then disappears backstage behind planned scenery to come out elsewhere on the layout at the yet to be constructed "Portencross" marshalling yard.

Busy trying to complete the remaining track laying and then weeks of wiring and point motor fitting to follow, but perhaps just the faintest of lights at the end of the tunnel........albeit a very long tunnel.

As always comments and suggestions welcomed - thanks Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Montgreenan Bridge 1.jpg (744.0 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Hound Dog; 20-03-2018 at 08:58 AM.
Old 25-03-2018, 08:09 PM   #50
Chops

Chops is on a distinguished road

A most interesting subject. As you mentioned coast line, here is a rather interesting
DIY video on modeling coastline. Looking forward to seeing your project develop,
and would hope you would shoot some video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TwpB7sVMn8