Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Members layouts

Members layouts Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects

Old 04-08-2017, 09:41 AM   #21
Mr Bones
Privateer

Mr Bones is on a distinguished road

Thank you Richard you explained that well. It's been very useful as that's exactly the same type of decline / incline I'm looking at doing. Thanks once again.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:35 AM   #22
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Tinker is on a distinguished road

Just be aware the weight of the train will cause problems the coaches will run into the loco and various type of coupling react differently.....just depends on how steep the incline is.....
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:14 PM   #23
Hound Dog

Hound Dog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Montgreenan update

Hi,

Almost a month since my last update and whilst progress has been slow as usual, in terms of the overall task a significant milestone has been reached - the decent to the low level fiddle yard is constructed !

Whilst I still have to permanently lay and wire the track etc, the descent is complete and a brainwave of a couple of weeks ago to include a reverse loop has been incorporated, which means I can run trains in either direction on the main baseboards and have a means to turn them around to go in the other direction ( the opposite reverse loop is on the main baseboard for those who recall earlier posts).

For the final run-out to the lower fiddle yard level I used a 2% polystyrene incline from Woodland Scenics, which I butchered to allow both a main descent and the reverse loop......I had to bridge a short section with cork filler as I was short of about 8 inches and it didn't make sense to buy another complete section.

Keen to finish this part in the coming week or so, such that I can then concentrate on progressing the main baseboard surfaces and hopefully completing the main track circuit.

As always would welcome any comments or suggestions - thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Montgreenan final descent 1.jpg (456.3 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg Montgreenan final descent 6.jpg (357.9 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Montgreenan final descent 3.jpg (244.2 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Montgreenan final descent 4.jpg (260.9 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Montgreenan final descent 2.jpg (267.9 KB, 73 views)
Hound Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:31 PM   #24
Steve M
Contrarian

Steve M is on a distinguished road

I hope those points on the inclines don't cause problems - the general advice is 'flat and level'.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:04 PM   #25
Hound Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
I hope those points on the inclines don't cause problems - the general advice is 'flat and level'.
Not expecting any problems - I specifically chose the longest available point for the straight one in the third picture to minimise any possible effects, whilst the curved point in the last picture actually has hardly any gradient where it sits ( the picture does look deceiving)............I tested my lightest coach today which careered around the complete descent at a relatively speed which was probably faster than the Japanese Bullet train, and it sailed through the points and around the loops without any problems.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:20 PM   #26
Mr Bones
Privateer

Mr Bones is on a distinguished road

Looking good. Watching with interest.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:10 PM   #27
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound Dog View Post
Not expecting any problems - I specifically chose the longest available point for the straight one in the third picture to minimise any possible effects, whilst the curved point in the last picture actually has hardly any gradient where it sits ( the picture does look deceiving)............I tested my lightest coach today which careered around the complete descent at a relatively speed which was probably faster than the Japanese Bullet train, and it sailed through the points and around the loops without any problems.
Ffestiniog gravity trains come to mind....

It is looking good. I used to have my inclines for an average medium sized single end drive diesel (E.g. Lima class 33) to be able to pull a minimum of four bogie coaches, preferably five or more. If it struggled with four it was too steep.
Modern central motor diesels do have more grunt to them but it is a good plan to make allowances for locos that may struggle. Your inclines do look good. I've never used the incline material (Can't remember its name) you have used. It makes the job look so easy! Maybe I will look into the possibilities on my next 00 gauge layout as it is so much easier then messing about with wood and anything else to pack the track with.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:16 PM   #28
Hound Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Goat View Post
Ffestiniog gravity trains come to mind....

It is looking good. I used to have my inclines for an average medium sized single end drive diesel (E.g. Lima class 33) to be able to pull a minimum of four bogie coaches, preferably five or more. If it struggled with four it was too steep.
Modern central motor diesels do have more grunt to them but it is a good plan to make allowances for locos that may struggle. Your inclines do look good. I've never used the incline material (Can't remember its name) you have used. It makes the job look so easy! Maybe I will look into the possibilities on my next 00 gauge layout as it is so much easier then messing about with wood and anything else to pack the track with.
Thanks - confident that I will be able to haul 5 coaches with most of my diesels, as that train length is probably the max I can accommodate on the main layout, ( due to platform lengths etc) never mind the inclines...........the two coaches behind the class 26 were just those that I had been using during construction for checking clearances etc and are not indicative of what can be hauled on the incline - at least it better not be, otherwise I will have to allocated a loco to permanent banking duties !
Old 05-09-2017, 08:03 AM   #29
BigTed

BigTed is on a distinguished road

I like what you've done to camouflage the risers. White does tend to dominate the landscape a bit.
BigTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:54 PM   #30
Hound Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTed View Post
I like what you've done to camouflage the risers. White does tend to dominate the landscape a bit.
Thanks - a bit mind numbing at the time but the paint is called Chocolate Torte from B&Q's own emulsion range and it gives a nice earthy / old style concrete colour........not really essential as below main baseboard, but less noticeable that the white polystyrene.