Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Members layouts

Members layouts Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects

Old 07-02-2018, 07:21 PM   #641
Steve M
Carcharodon carcharias

Steve M is on a distinguished road

Fitted the first connector this afternoon, fairly straightforward once I’d worked out which wire went where.
The new connectors will allow me to have three separate bus pairs, DCC, points, 12v dc plus three spare wires. Between boards 3,4 and 5 two of the spare wires are a bus pair with variable voltage for the yard and station lamps.
Everything working on board 5 apart from one LED on the control panel for that board which has chosen today to fail. That can wait until tomorrow.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:00 AM   #642
Steve M
Carcharodon carcharias

My completed first connector now fitted. If nothing else it highlights how messy it can get if you try and retrofit electrics rather than planning it properly from the outset.

20180209_095039 by Steve Mumford, on Flickr
Old 13-02-2018, 07:58 PM   #643
Steve M
Carcharodon carcharias

The wiring connector upgrades continued today - so far, so good. But..........
One of the reasons for doing this was to provide a 12v dc supply to all boards primarily for the LEDs on the control panels. Originally I had taken a short cut and powered them from the DCC bus wires where they were working as planned. When I wired them into the DC supply not all the LEDs lit up - a bit of head scratching and now it seems that my pack of common cathode LEDs is a mixture of both common cathode and anode.
Old 14-02-2018, 07:03 PM   #644
Steve M
Carcharodon carcharias

The rewiring took longer than expected (doesn’t it always!) and Low Ghyll has been reassembled and tested.
The big advantage of using different coloured wires and sticking to a common wiring theme paid dividends when everything worked first time with the exception of those dodgy LEDs on the control panels.
Now every board has a DCC bus pair, points bus pair, 12v DC and a separate 12v DC supply routed through a PWM controller to dim all the lights equally.

But as usual the other layout (below this one) has taken a beating and needs a tidy up.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:28 PM   #645
Steve M
Carcharodon carcharias

Summer is fast approaching (I know, Iím deluded) which is when I tend to do the work on Low Ghyll.

I still have two long boards with no scenic treatment other than a bit of ballast and the bare bones of a tunnel/scenic break. Scenic work can be a bit messy so it will be done in my workshop (garden shed) as usual.

As a result I have spent some time this week clearing it out - including a mouse nest or two! And found a few tools I had long forgotten I ever owned.

Also extended the existing workbenches - I could fit a half decent U shaped layout in there now.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:43 PM   #646
brian1951
Super Moderator

brian1951 is on a distinguished road

Similar story here Steve, i have at last cleared my engine room out, totally empty at last, apart from a few spiders, luckily no mice. I have found locos i cant remember buying including a few i wish i had not, enough scenic material to do the length of the M1 and miles of track.
brian1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:21 AM   #647
Steve M
Carcharodon carcharias

Visited the shed for the first time in a month today - can’t decide if I was too ill/busy or disinterested. Time will tell.
First job was to finish off the new plug for providing 12v dc to the lights and control panels. Second job was to serve an eviction notice on the spiders that had moved into the engine shed area. Their webs resembled a fine mist about 18” above the track.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:44 AM   #648
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Aww. I used to slowly send a loco in that was armed with good pickups coupled to a second loco as back up. Spiders make such lovely Webb's it is a shame to take them down.
A house full of spiders? Almost as efficient as flypaper and you dont get the flypaper in the hair issue!
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 11:26 AM   #649
Steve M
Carcharodon carcharias

A few months ago I was lucky enough to get hold of another Dapol Black Label - another Mallard. It turned out to have a faulty motor so I tried to find a spare - no luck.

As it was secondhand (no proof of purchase) I didn’t hold out much hope but at Ally Pally I spoke to a guy on the Dapol stand (turned out it was the MD) and arranged for it to be sent back for them to have a look.

Admittedly I had to chase them up a couple of times but yesterday they sent me a replacement - a fully refurbished Mallard and more to the point, everything works perfectly!
As they say, if you don’t ask, you don’t get.

So, before it heads off to the great auction house in the sky, a couple of pictures next to my Golden Eagle.

2018-05-05_11-02-25 by Steve Mumford, on Flickr

20180505_104656_001 by Steve Mumford, on Flickr

20180505_104732 by Steve Mumford, on Flickr
Old 05-05-2018, 01:55 PM   #650
Bulleidboy

Bulleidboy is on a distinguished road

Nice pictures Steve - I remember seeing the real ones when I was a bit younger! Barry