Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Members layouts

Members layouts Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects

Old 21-08-2017, 04:11 PM   #1
Cardi-Bach

Cardi-Bach is on a distinguished road
Default Cardigan & Whitland Railway

I think I might have mentioned the W& CR stations in another layout thread - but I'll explain anyway.
Here in West Wales we formed the 'Cardi-Bach Railway Society' to promote interest in the defunct Whitland to Cardigan Railway - a GWR branch that fell to Beechings axe, last train in September 1963, and line lifted in 1965.

As part of the Society's travelling display three of us started building models of the old stations, mainly for our own amusement, So far we have Cardigan (3mm), Kilgerran (3mm), Boncath (3mm), Login (4mm), and now work is in progress on Crymmych Arms, this time in N gauge (2mm).

Cardigan, Kilgerran and Boncath we have shown at various exhibitions in West Wales, whilst Login is on permanent display at Login Station itself.
Crymmych Arms we have shown at three venues this summer, although it is still incomplete.

All our layouts are built to prototype sized, scaled down, and as accurate as possible to reflect how the line and surrounding area was circa 1930-40.

Build has had to be mainly from Photographs, although some buildings are still extant, and we are able to reach them. 'Disused Stations' web site has been a font of inspiration.

Kilgerran I have already 'threaded' on here, and if members would like I can do quick threads on the other layouts (with the exception of Cardigan, as construction photos got accidentally deleted...)

I'll leave it for a day or two to see if there is any interest...

Hwyl fawr,
Shaun.
Cardi-Bach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 12:31 AM   #2
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Was certainly an interesting branch line. I remember being told by an old signalman who had a gold railway watch allowing him to travel (Was the only one I'd ever seen during my time working on the railway) and he said that in his younger days as a signal man he spent some time at Whitland, and one day a driver ignored two sets of signals and brought his train right onto the turntable. He went out the box to meet the driver and give him a telling off and the driver said "You should have known I was going to do that and you should have been quicker!" It sounded a lot like one of the drivers that used to work the Cardi Bach with one driver having been sacked several times but re-employed due to staff shortages.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 07:31 AM   #3
johnsmithuk

johnsmithuk is on a distinguished road

A vote here for construction pictures.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:57 PM   #4
Cardi-Bach

Removing this thread, as it's duplicating...!

Shaun.

Last edited by Cardi-Bach; 03-02-2018 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:03 PM   #5
Cardi-Bach

I started to describe Kilgerran, and then realised I had already got a separate thread !
Sorry...