Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Members layouts

Members layouts Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects

Old 27-01-2018, 12:53 PM   #11
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Tinker is on a distinguished road

The few i have used were on surface mounted PM's there went in ok.
Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 11:06 PM   #12
Bigfilmguy
Apprentice Track Layer

Bigfilmguy is on a distinguished road

Ok, here are the first pics of Black Dog Junction. Sorry about the image quality, I borrowed wifey's camera, not sure on the best settings.

Black Dog Junction is named after Black Dog Halt, a small stop on the old Calne to Chippenham line. Originally installed in 1863 as a private siding for Lord Lansdowne of nearby Bowood House, the halt was available for public use from the start, but did not appear on a public timetable until 1952! Although the line was closed by Dr Beeching, it is still in use as a cycle and footpath for most of its original path.

In my layout, the small town of Calne has a brewery on the edge of town, served by both road and the inner siding on my layout. Although I haven't marked it out yet, the back of the brewery will have a curved platform to facilitate shipping. I'm planning on using one or two bays of the Metcalfe Bus Depot to serve as a transoprt depot for the brewery and the rest to serve as an actual bus depot in the town, opposite the train station. I've bought the Scalescenes road pack as my layout is a relatively modern layout, being Era 8/9, (1982-ish to present).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0181.jpg (322.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0184.jpg (382.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0187.jpg (351.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0188.jpg (335.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0191.jpg (380.0 KB, 21 views)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Bigfilmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 11:09 PM   #13
Bigfilmguy
Apprentice Track Layer

Because of the brewery, Calne has a fair amount of commuters and the Calne Railway Company has recently invested in a brand new Class 350 "Desiro" 4
car unit to handle the large number of passengers. I haven't decided what train I want first for the freight operations, but I'm leaning toward a Class 37, just because I like the look of them!

Toward the bottom of the layout is a row of terrace houses. I may extend them upward toward the station and bus depot, but haven't decided yet. On the right side of the layout is the local primary school. I will be scratch-building a level crossing on the bottom right corner of the layout.

As for the station, I'm going with the Metcalfe Mainline station, because it's such a lovely looking model, with the Parcel Office next to it. On the opposite platform I will be using the island platform building. I will also be scratch-building a small foot crossing at the end of the platforms.

Of course, as I lay down the scenery things may change, but this is my current thinking.

Comments or suggestions welcomed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0185.jpg (452.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0186.jpg (339.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0189.jpg (332.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0190.jpg (280.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 29-01-2018, 09:56 PM   #14
Itch45

Itch45 is on a distinguished road

looks good, just one point i would like to make. The cross over in the station will cause problems. As a coach or engine passes through the cross over it will have over hang which would hit the platforms. To avoid this you would have to lay the track further away from the platform. This in turn will create a larger gap between carriage and platform which will look un realistic. To make the platform gap look right avoid the cross over in the platform area.
Itch45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 10:29 PM   #15
Bigfilmguy
Apprentice Track Layer

Thanks for the suggestion Itch, but I haven't got room to have the crossover anywhere else. This is why I've gone for the longest radius turnouts available.

On a random note, I'm an idiot. Today has been about wiring and i made two doofus mistakes. I decided to wire up just the minimum amount of track feeds to get everything running. Not necessarily a mistake, you say. We'll come back to that. First, after I had finished my wiring I got out the trusty multimeter to check everything. No power to the rails. Hmm, not a problem, probably just a bad feed. No power anywhere on the rails. Ok, check the power feeds. Still no power. Yep, I've plugged in the controller. Ok, check the outputs on the controller. No power! Er, what the heck? It was only after looking at it for ten minutes I realised I hadn't switched the direction switch over. It's dead in the middle. D'oh! Ok, power to the feeds! Yay! Ok, check isolation switches. All good! Check where my track feeds come in. All good! Check the rest of the layout. No power. Grrr! Check everywhere, it only seems to be the other side of my points. That must be a clue! Yep, you guessed it, I forgot that I've got insulated joiners on the points and had no track feeds the other side! Double D'oh! Must do more than minimum required and remember what insulated joiners do.

Oh well, live and learn. On the plus side, my isolating switches work, which I'm proud of. Now to solder some more track feeds.....