Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Specific Gauge Topics > HO & International

HO & International HO model railway topics

Old 27-01-2018, 09:13 AM   #1
yelrow

yelrow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Programming on the Main

I thought i would relate this as twas my first attempt. I bought my second MTH loco, an ALCO FA-1, last week. On arrival, it refused to move on DC, or DCC. Loco was 4 years old and had been in glass case, with collector. Following telcon with MTH, they suggested servicing, and resetting back to Factory. On these locos, its cv 55, as opposed to 8. I duly serviced it, and after a few trials, it ran, with sound on DC. Yesterday, with great trepidation, i set up my spare Elite, with 2 pieces of track, changed mode to operate, and reprogrammed on the main. On my second attempt, everything worked , and it is now back to 0003. Motto, if you put locos in glass cases on display, run from time to time. As a final note, these locos, Cannot be programmed on RM, as supply on prog track, is insufficient. john
yelrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 09:16 AM   #2
Steve M
Carcharodon carcharias

Steve M is on a distinguished road

Good tip, John.
I have had a couple of decoders that have been reluctant to programme on the programming track but when I tried programming on main they ere done at the first attempt. (Both were TTS decoders by the way.)
Old 27-01-2018, 09:42 AM   #3
yelrow

hi, steve, one reason for posting it was that the Elite, is sometimes dismissed as not fit for purpose, and on this occasion, it did the job, perfectly, on an american loco. On the net, where reprogramming was discussed, they always used other systems. When i rang MTH, they had not heard of Horny, and recommended, prodigy advance/ MRI. I was very impressed with very clear instructions, which probably would have worked first time, had a phone call, not intervened. john
Old 27-01-2018, 10:18 AM   #4
Steve M
Carcharodon carcharias

As you say a system that is often dismissed came up trumps. I guess all systems have their own quirks and half the battle is understanding the limitation, if any, of your chosen controller. I can’t help thinking that many reported ‘problems’ are down to the operators not the system.
Glad you got the loco working as it is clearly your ‘pride and joy’. I bet the finance department is relieved as well.
Old 27-01-2018, 10:37 AM   #5
yelrow

Steve, tis my second one. My real pride and joy, is the original one, as it worked out of the box. What i find clever, is they work, just as well, with sound, on DC, analogue, although you cant change the functions, they come with a supplied list that just run. On DCC, 28 functions, are superb. I particularly like the Cab Chatter. On the new one, they have a broken track, a red light, an hours delay, so the engineer pops down the diner, they have just past, to get 2 coffees. Little things/ minds, but it appeals to me.. Have a look at their BI- Polar loco. john
Old 27-01-2018, 10:47 AM   #6
Steve M
Carcharodon carcharias

This one?

https://youtu.be/Od1dfI2surQ
Old 27-01-2018, 11:20 AM   #7
yelrow

Thats the one. 449 dollars, then down to 375. I have found a new one for sale in france, and the guy wants 230 euros, some £203. With divorce pending, i offered 150, euros, £132, to be told to go forth and multiply. Fortunately due to complex nature, nobody else at the moment, wants it, so i await his next repost. Even the bits on top, which i cant spell, are part of function control, as are couplings. live in hope. john
Old 27-01-2018, 11:44 AM   #8
Steve M
Carcharodon carcharias

Good luck with your negotiations......and Heather.