Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Location location location

Location location location Where can I keep my model railway?

Old 27-07-2014, 07:45 PM   #1
Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky is on a distinguished road
Default Loft layouts

In the last few days I have been doing some re-wiring in our loft and it was baking! I could only last about 20mins at a time before pools of sweat sloshing about on the inside of my specs or on the boards I was kneeling forced me down for a cool off. So those of you who run layouts where you have no insulation beneath the tiles/slates have my complete admiration. How do you cope with these temps. and how your track work does not buckle all over the place?

Richard
Tricky Dicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 07:52 PM   #2
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

When I was insulating our loft for my layout the weather was like this, it was unbearable, much improved when I'd finished though. Glad it's not up there any more.
Old 23-08-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
wittershamroad

A loft layout I find I quite wish I had in my loft is "Brighton in the Attic". This web page has not been updated since 2002, so I have no idea whether this layout still exists or its owner is still alive, but the web page is still on the internet.

http://www.semgonline.com/members/nmillar01.html

What is interesting about this, is that it shows you how you can give a convincing representation of a real place by having the right trains! For Brighton Station he has only used a PECO Manyways Roof kit, and has represented the town with a PECO SK-25 "Old Industrial Town Centre" backscene.
Old 25-08-2014, 05:52 PM   #4
spikelmoose

spikelmoose is on a distinguished road

I like my loft / come man cave! My own private space where I can make a mess and not have the missus on my case within 10 minutes of her coming home ( I also hope she never looks under the bedroom drawers as they are full of on going projects as well).
I know where you are coming from with the heat. A loft layout does have limitations and temperature is the biggest one. Probably 15 days a year it is too hot to go up there and 15 days a year it is too cold.
spikelmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:42 PM   #5
Challenger3802

Challenger3802 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikelmoose View Post
I like my loft / come man cave! ...Probably 15 days a year it is too hot to go up there and 15 days a year it is too cold.
What's too cold?? It was -1C a week ago when I went up into my loft, soon warmed up with the lights on I ended up in my t-shirt due to being too hot.

The other extreme was during the summer when I left the loft hatch open to let the air temperature drop a few degrees first

Ian.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:02 PM   #6
wittershamroad

There is a chap on YouTube called "ay76" who has uploaded a long series of videos charting his progress building a loft layout from the very first stages. His loft does have insulation, which you can see in the videos. I asked him this question, and he says the loft is too hot in summer - work on the layout has to stop.

I had a temporary layout in the loft. I found in the summer, if you leave it till about 8 o'clock at night, then it has cooled off enough to allow you to go up there.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:37 PM   #7
Yuzee
Dave H

Yuzee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger3802 View Post
What's too cold?? It was -1C a week ago when I went up into my loft, soon warmed up with the lights on I ended up in my t-shirt due to being too hot.

The other extreme was during the summer when I left the loft hatch open to let the air temperature drop a few degrees first

Ian.
hi Ian, I dont reccomend leaving the loft hatch open "Unguarded" as you can easily fall down the opening and hurt yourself. I fell from top to bottom last year whilst converting my loft and was very lucky not to seriously hurt myself.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:34 PM   #8
wittershamroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuzee View Post
hi Ian, I dont reccomend leaving the loft hatch open "Unguarded" as you can easily fall down the opening and hurt yourself. I fell from top to bottom last year whilst converting my loft and was very lucky not to seriously hurt myself.
I would like to second that! I was coming down, but not concentrating. I missed the top rung and slid down and scrapped my leg. It has healed up, but I have still got a red mark on my leg to remind me of this escapade!

The decision to have the layout in the spare bedroom was the right one, I think...
Old 13-01-2015, 01:12 PM   #9
eagle125

eagle125 is on a distinguished road
Default My loft experience !

If you`ve got no where else to go other than a loft ...these are my hints/ tips

Remember to preserve a working area , i nearly ran out of space

is your loft for storage and model railway mine is, my thinking cap was worn out !!!

if storage try and write a plan down where things are in boxes (daughters are like bulls in china shops when looking for something)

storage for model railway items ............ a place for everything and etc etc

be tidy ..........ie floor (kneeling on a screw is painful)

Safety (aka common sense)

my heater is a convector ......... getting an oiled filled one soon

i have a fan for the summer ,but luckily i have a small crawling section over my bathroom instead of a wall i have a curtain cos of access to CH tank
open in summer closed in winter

KIT............
Decided not to pay out for digital equipment to put in loft. ok i bought a couple more locos than i planned !!!!

my loft has a loft either side (not end house) open the hatch its coldish on the landing for a short while but it soon balances out

If your starting with a blank canvas thats better, i worked around my storage

maybe in lets say 10 or so years i can have a bedroom approx 11x8 all i have learned from my loft experience will go into that

another plug for my vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhINt1TdYfw
Cheers Tony
eagle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 02:38 PM   #10
stevenfitch

stevenfitch is on a distinguished road

My loft was paneled out without insulation behind it.... Its ok in the winter as can just put a heater on but i'm looking for a solution to cool it during the summer without having to go as far as air conditioning!

stevenfitch is offline   Reply With Quote