Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Modelling Techniques - Show and Tell

Modelling Techniques - Show and Tell Your place to show and describe in detail and with photos how you produced a specific item of modelling. Rolling stock, Building, Scenery or something else related.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:46 AM   #1
Blue Pullman

Blue Pullman is on a distinguished road
Default Class 37 body repair

Yesterday I went to a model fair and bought a Lima regional railways class 37 not working for a fiver. I ve inspected now and think I will be able to repair it, there's some rust on the couplers and some corrosion looking deep down the side of the motor round the brushes so I guess they are stuck from damp storage.
Part of the reason it was so cheap? is that whilst so poorly stored a mouse has nibbled off part of the yellow front so I plan to repair that and here I seek advice.
As a model it's not worth spending 16 pounds on a pair of replacement ends but may be worth using filler or modellers putty I'm interested in people's ideas or alternative suggestions?
See photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0186.JPG (939.0 KB, 54 views)
Blue Pullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:04 AM   #2
Walkingthedog
Wine depleter

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

I have used putty in the past. I guess it depends on your skill.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:58 AM   #3
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Is certainly a simple enough repair. You could use a few different fillers here from DAS modelling clay or resin that comes from resin kits to the finer car body fillers to the specific modelling fillers.
The basic idea is to overfill and sand down later. Car body fillers are the toughest so may take a long time to file down. Two part resin I find nice to work with (E.G. Sylmasta G26) though as the resin starts as a liquid there is a certain method to get a good result where one rolls out playdough, and presses in the good end of the body (Assuming both ends are identical) and then pushes the damaged end and one can pour in the resin from the inside while some fixed support holds the body upright for a few hours allowing it to set.

The simplest I've used for such repairs is DAS modelling clay. Just fill over the hole, give it a day to harden and get the minifiles out....

Specic model railway fillers may be more ideal. I've not tried them yet due to cost (Why is it if it says it is for model railway use the price goes up?), but they may well be the more ideal thing to use.
I have to say I love those Lima models. The look can immensely be improved by just repainting the yellow ends to look less plastically. It is certainly well worth the repair. You are doing in thing less then the real railways do with a crash damaged locomotive!
Regarding if it would be worth buying new ends. Well. The loco is worth it but the damage is repairable much cheaper with DAS or something better so I'd try DAS or other model lling clay and see if it works. If it does not you have DAS to use for your layout with many different possibilities just for a few pounds.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:00 PM   #4
Walkingthedog
Wine depleter

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

I recommend Milliput.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:22 PM   #5
Blue Pullman

So since posting the new thread I've stripped down the bogie and the motor and found the problem. The previous owner had over oiled it and with contaminated oil too. All cleaned no brush springs lost and back together running in as I write this. As I don't have a circle of track I use one of those magnifiers with the spring clip arms which holds the wheels up in the air and just reverse direction every so often.
This motor is running really sweetly.
Thanks for all your responses and suggested materials plus the comment that it would be cost effective to change the ends and the comment on repainting the ends anyway to get better yellow representation. Food for thought I think I'll start with some filler
Any suggestions on yellow end paint?
As said this is an attractive looking loco in this colour scheme and now it's working I'm thinking of a bit of detailing I see peters spares are selling some vitrains detail kits anyone got any experience of them. As I need buffers too may be one lot of postage cost if I buy all from them.
Roger
Old 01-05-2017, 07:59 PM   #6
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

I have (Though may not be exact shade but they work for me... There again B.R. used variations of yellow from depot to depot with the variations in the paint etc.) Precision Paints B.R. Signal Yellow (Which is the same as the yellow ends of locos I was told. If it is out it is not by much) and also have used Humberol Enamels Number 69.
I can't remember which I use for what as I just try a bit and see what looks right.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:30 PM   #7
Blue Pullman

Many thanks for that have ordered the humrol milliput and a set of buffers off Peters Trains will try a before and after photo......