Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Modelling Techniques - Show and Tell

Modelling Techniques - Show and Tell Your place to show and describe in detail and with photos how you produced a specific item of modelling. Rolling stock, Building, Scenery or something else related.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:59 PM   #11
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Getting handrails to sit straight was a challenge when constructing a resin kit. My first loco had handrails that were mounted on the saddle tank. The issue I had with one of the little handrail pins was that I couldn't drill its hole straight. Resin is very easy to drill, but the saddle tank had lead shot added to add some extra weight. The one piece of lead inside the resin pushed the drill bit sideways as I made the hole.
II have plenty more handrails to fit soon due to the kit I'm constructing. 7mm scale had rails are small enough so I do sympathise with fitting 4 mm scale handrails. Having said that, it is an interesting challenge and the improvement it will give makes it worth it.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 11:28 AM   #12
Malcolm 0-6-0

Malcolm 0-6-0 is on a distinguished road

I've replaced moulded on rails etc. on a number of the older locos. It's actually pretty easy. I bought a decent supply of the knobs from suppliers on Ebay and use thin gauge spring wire available in hobby stores. This is also useful for making those staple like grab handles that appear on locos and rolling stock.

First I cut away the moulded knob part of the detail and drill a small hole to mark the position. I then first gentle shave off the remaining moulded detail with a nice new sharp Number 11 Exacto blade or similar, then gentle polish the surface with fine sand paper until the moulded detail is no longer visible. I then insert a knob in each of the pre-drilled holes with the hole for the wire aligned in the correct direction of the wire. I use CA glue to fix them in place - let that dry (I find that the gel type is easier to work with as it doesn't grab as quickly). I then cut a length of the wire to fit and thread it through the holes in the knobs and fix it in place with a dab of the CA gel. Then cut off any excess wire with track cutters or similar. Then repaint the loco body.

It's not a quick process but it improves the look of the older locomotive moulded bodies remarkably, especially ones that are still in good running order and therefore not in need of replacement. For locos that have the railing extending around the smoke box front in one continuous piece it's a similar process but you have to bend the wire first to create the necessary curve. That can be fiddly but with practice it gets easier.
Malcolm 0-6-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 12:01 PM   #13
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

Footplate1947 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthedog View Post
Yes it is. We need more railway modellers and less model railwayers.
Ouch Brian .......it seems to be the way to go these days. With a lot of folks these days they seem to like ready made products including lots on here. It is the way the hobby has gone as far as I can see. When we were young if you can go that far back If you wanted different types of locos and rolling stock we had to go kit building or scratch building them our selves. I used to make good little income on the side building locos from brass sheet ect back in the days when I had a proper workshop with all the kit.
The skills we learned in those days are getting lost I think. Why when you see what some write on here they sometimes think that scratch building is making from kits or something. When I suggested earlier that the Lima king could be converted by changing the body to the later version which had wire hand rail, I only said that to make the job easier. To be honest the old Lima king is not the best of mouldings to start, with and I don't think it is worth spending a lot of time on.
Old 19-07-2018, 12:14 PM   #14
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

Fitting wire handrails is very easy. The hard bit is removing the moulded ones without destroying the loco.
Old 19-07-2018, 12:23 PM   #15
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

Hello Wolfie,, I don't know how you are getting on with that Lima king but I have one you can have with hand rails if you want it. Don't know if you have seen a picture of the Lima King with wire rails but the knobs are not very nice. If you have the patience and the skill (which you have from your truck building days) fitting with brass knobs and wire looks much better. But the Lima moulding lets the model down in other ways. I have put later Hornby body on Lima Chassis quite easy and that is better model. To fit the Hornby king on Lima chassis is not very difficult you have to cut the front chassis mount about a bit. Personally I would go for Hornby king they are cheap enough.
Old 19-07-2018, 12:25 PM   #16
Footplate1947
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthedog View Post
Fitting wire handrails is very easy. The hard bit is removing the moulded ones without destroying the loco.
I know that Brian, that is why I suggested getting the later version with the wire hand rails. Cutting of the moulded rails has to be one of the hated jobs in modelling. Least is is my pet hate.