Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > General Modelling

General Modelling Use this area for modelling items that don't fit elsewhere

Old 19-02-2018, 10:46 PM   #1
centenary

centenary is on a distinguished road
Default Track cleaning options?

OK so our track gets dirty which affects smooth running. What cleaning options are recommended?

The peco rubber type method looks very labour intensive and likely knacker your finger joints if you have arthritis in them like me. It also looks like creating more debris in and around the track that then requires cleaning up with a handheld hoover. And I bet more is sucked up than just the mess it has created if your arent careful! Ive also seen other manual cleaning methods involving fluids and swabs but on anything other than a trackmat sized layout, Id guess this would take an age too.

So realistically, what other methods are there that dont cost an arm and a leg? Any recommendations?
centenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 11:02 PM   #2
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Tinker is on a distinguished road

Drop of meths on a rag.....
Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 11:02 PM   #3
Walkingthedog
Wine depleter

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

Track rubbers are very good. The rough side of a piece of hardboard is even better. Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) applied with a lint free cloth is excellent, just make sure it is 100% proof or 99% as it usually says on the bottle. You can buy wagons sich as the Sharge that is a tanker with a pad under the wagon. You add IPA and it cleans the track as it goes along.
Old 19-02-2018, 11:03 PM   #4
Steve M
Contrarian

Steve M is on a distinguished road

A wipe with a cloth dipped in isopropyl alcohol (IPA) is usually enough but you could consider something like the Sharge cleaner which is pushed round by a loco. The tank holds IPA which wets a pad in contact with the rails.
Old 20-02-2018, 01:35 AM   #5
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by centenary View Post
OK so our track gets dirty which affects smooth running. What cleaning options are recommended?

The peco rubber type method looks very labour intensive and likely knacker your finger joints if you have arthritis in them like me. It also looks like creating more debris in and around the track that then requires cleaning up with a handheld hoover. And I bet more is sucked up than just the mess it has created if your arent careful! Ive also seen other manual cleaning methods involving fluids and swabs but on anything other than a trackmat sized layout, Id guess this would take an age too.

So realistically, what other methods are there that dont cost an arm and a leg? Any recommendations?
I have both Hornby and Peco rail cleaning rubbers and both are good and there isn't much between them in operation. Hornby have a slightly larger platform size but are thinner. Peco feel more solid when new but take a little while to wear in. Hornby dont need wearing in.
Regarding bits coming off. This is generally due to either they are on their last legs as they tend to shed more just before they wear into nothing, or one has some gaps in the rail joints where one is being heavy handed with them.
I have to admit, that when I scratchbuild track and need to use a file, I find after this, if I get my Hornby track cleaning rubber out I can polish up the rails top surface to a smooth shine. The initial use is heavy handed to eliminate grooves, but then I gradually polish with faster but lighter movements which shine up the rails to look like new.
Generally speaking, bits come off more when one is heavy handed, or if they catch on gaps in trackwork at the ends of rails, which they will smooth these gaps to be less catchy.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 20-02-2018 at 01:40 AM.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 01:40 AM   #6
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

(I suppose, if one does have lots of bits of rubber in a hoover, (One would have to be very heavy handed to do this!) one could collect them and make them into a new track cleaning rubber?)
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 08:10 AM   #7
yelrow

yelrow is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are bothered about the bits, use your track rubber, followed by a dapol track cleaning car, using just the very efficient inbuilt Hoover. For this purpose they are brilliant, I have a DC, and a DCC one. john
yelrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 08:39 AM   #8
roger oldacre

roger oldacre is on a distinguished road

There are very good recommendations on line in the USA about a product called NO Ox ID I've tried it and found it very good , I can here the purists shouting noooo now but really it works , only recommendation I would give is use it very very spareingly.
roger oldacre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 09:40 AM   #9
Shroomy
Chief Vinter

Shroomy is an unknown quantity at this point

You cloud try this
http://tencommandmentsmodels.co.uk/p...leaning-wagon/
Old 20-02-2018, 11:56 PM   #10
Maz066

Maz066 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger oldacre View Post
There are very good recommendations on line in the USA about a product called NO Ox ID I've tried it and found it very good , I can here the purists shouting noooo now but really it works , only recommendation I would give is use it very very spareingly.
I looked it up and it appears to be quite good. I wonder if it similar to Rail Zip wwhich used to be around. I believe Rail Zip was just automotive gearbox fluid.
Whatever- it worked well. However inclines were a big problem with reduced traction

Last edited by Maz066; 20-02-2018 at 11:59 PM.
Maz066 is offline   Reply With Quote