Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > General Modelling

General Modelling Use this area for modelling items that don't fit elsewhere

Old 23-06-2018, 03:14 PM   #1
mcleod4569

mcleod4569 is on a distinguished road
Default I am just starting out...

So I am just starting out with my model railway ambitions - the past few weeks I have been planning a layout.

I want to get the ball rolling so to speak with a starter train set but I couldn't find one that suited me loco wise. So I thought about getting the component parts separately.

Trouble is I am not sure of exactly what I should be getting with regards to a controller and connecting it to the track. If someone could provide a list of what I need I would be very grateful.

I should say I will be working in N Gauge.
mcleod4569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 03:49 PM   #2
Bunkerbarge

Bunkerbarge is on a distinguished road

I'm afraid, as is so often the case with these questions, we need more information to be able to give an answer. There simply is no such things as a 'list' of what you need before you decide on what you want to do. A set simply provides you with a loop of track, a very basic controller and a locomotive to go around it.

In your case from your track plan you can now put together a track list to buy but you then need to decide on whether you want to run more than one train at a time.

Assuming you want to use DC you will need to purchase a DC controller which will either power one or two circuits. You will need to decide on how you want to split your track to seperate the two power supplies and then where you need to connect the power.

If you want to start with a single circuit then a very simple and cheap Hornby controller such as a R8250 would do. Added to that you need a transformer, R9300 and a power track R8206 (That one is for OO gauge), plus your track list and you can be away.

If you want to think more of the future then double controllers may be something you want to consider or even going DCC right from the start. This might initially seem a lot more expensive but a DCC controller will allow you to expand with the same controller but you will have to be buying decoders for your locomotives.

Maybe if you can give us a more fixed idea of what you want it might be easier to identify the requirements.

Last edited by Bunkerbarge; 23-06-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Bunkerbarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 03:54 PM   #3
Bunkerbarge

Bunkerbarge is on a distinguished road

If you want to stay with 'n' gauge have a look at the Bachmann, Graham Farish page where thier controllers and track are all listed.
Bunkerbarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 04:00 PM   #4
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi and welcome. I will say that trainsets offer better value then buying things seperately, though they may not always provide what you are looking for.
My venture into N gauge was to try it out and was about 20-25 years ago. I already had 00 gauge. I bought Peco track clips to provide power to the rails as in those days I had not tried soldering. I bought a circle of sectional track and a point and a length or two of flexible track (Which one dust to length) for the rest. Generally the same controllers are used for N gauge as you use for 00 gauge with the only difference being that N gauge locos dont usually draw so much current, so one can get away with using a cheaper controller that doesn't push out so much power. I used a cheap controller from a 00 gauge train set.
With Peco flexible track in N gauge, it is available in code 80 and code 55, and the impressive thing about it is that due to clever design, the rail heights are the same and where the rail joiners connect are in the same place, so that one can use the lower profile rails without the issues one gets in other gauges where the heights are different.
Personally, when I compared the N gauge I had bought with the 00 gauge collection that I already had, it was a case of swings and roundabouts.
Peco do a basic set track N gauge oval as a set (Just with track and nothing else) which looks a nice way to start, but check prices. In the past I've found the sets of track to cost more then buying the same track separately due to special offers etc., so do a little research before you buy.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 23-06-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 04:16 PM   #5
yelrow

yelrow is an unknown quantity at this point

The poster has said he is going n gauge,hence, peco flexitrack, is the way to go, Fleischmann, make excellent points, as do others, My ngauge points are all Fleischmann, As to locos, Dapol and Arnold worth a look,Know nothing about Farish, keep us posted, john
yelrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 04:35 PM   #6
mcleod4569

I know already all the track I am going to need. That is not the issue. What I need to know is the separate bits needed to connect something like a gaugemaster combi controller (like this one http://www.hattons.co.uk/7158/Gaugem...ockDetail.aspx) to the track.
With the Hornby stuff I had ages ago it was a simple case of connecting the controller to the track clip which is different to the N Gauge way. In the future I might think about soldering wires to track but for now I am just after the Peco Track clips and how they would connect to the controller.
Old 23-06-2018, 04:39 PM   #7
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

When I had them (The Peco ones) they were spring connected to fit to the track and the wires themselves were pushed in somehow. Can only vaguely remember as it was a while ago.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 04:49 PM   #8
brian1951
Super Moderator

brian1951 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleod4569 View Post
I know already all the track I am going to need. That is not the issue. What I need to know is the separate bits needed to connect something like a gaugemaster combi controller (like this one http://www.hattons.co.uk/7158/Gaugem...ockDetail.aspx) to the track.
With the Hornby stuff I had ages ago it was a simple case of connecting the controller to the track clip which is different to the N Gauge way. In the future I might think about soldering wires to track but for now I am just after the Peco Track clips and how they would connect to the controller.
Simply just two wires from the track to the controller, the track clips are Peco ST 9, but soldering the wires to the track is far better idea.
brian1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 04:58 PM   #9
mcleod4569

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1951 View Post
Simply just two wires from the track to the controller, the track clips are Peco ST 9, but soldering the wires to the track is far better idea.
Which wires do I need that will go from these to the controller?
Old 23-06-2018, 05:02 PM   #10
brian1951
Super Moderator

brian1951 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleod4569 View Post
Which wires do I need that will go from these to the controller?
3 amp 16 strand, sold everywhere, https://www.track-shack.com/acatalog...iABEgIkAfD_BwE
brian1951 is offline   Reply With Quote