Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > General Modelling

General Modelling Use this area for modelling items that don't fit elsewhere

Old 16-06-2018, 09:02 AM   #11
Panniertank

Panniertank is on a distinguished road

This is a great thread M.G!

If I started again now, but knew every thing I had learned over the past 9 months, I would do O gauge in DCC with sound rather than oo in analogue.

I had always fancied doing O gauge but the costs of locos put me off. Now thanks to the likes of Dapol O gauge is very affordable.
Old 16-06-2018, 09:11 AM   #12
Bunkerbarge

Bunkerbarge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelrow View Post
Bunkerbarge, merci beaucoup, take a look at Z gauge. john
I did, I believe the model currently doing the show circuit of the Forth Road Bridge is in 'z' gauge. Staggering! I had to remove my glasses to see the locos!
Bunkerbarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 09:27 AM   #13
yelrow

yelrow is an unknown quantity at this point

AT 74, i need a magnifier, but great to watch. In usa, they have T gauge, even smaller. john
yelrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 10:52 AM   #14
Raetiamann

Raetiamann is on a distinguished road

If I was starting out now, I'd go for DCC controlled HOm gauge.
Raetiamann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 11:19 AM   #15
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

I've seen T scale and it is tiny. It was at the exhibition in Swansea. A trader had bought his little layout which was a small oval of track on a board. I asked him about it (I was asking most exhibitors about their models including some fantastic trade stands as well). Now with the T scale layout the man said it took him ages before each days run to clean the wheels. I think he mentioned the need to remove the wheels to clean them! I remember thinking that I was glad that I have a larger scale!
T scale really is tiny. (Z is small enough).
Thanks Panniertank for the kind comment on starting this thread. I had the idea after we were exploring the "Do I need DC or DCC" thread someone else kindly asked. It can be very interesting wit all our different viewpoints. We all like different things and the longer one is in the hobby the more one learns of what one likes and does not like.
I have to say that in this hobby, there will be aspects that we think are out of our reach and I have to encourage others to have a go. You may not know what you've been missing!
The great thing about our hobby is that it encompasses so many different aspects that we can all come from totally different angles to the hobby, and therefore we can learn so much.
Flashbangs a real expert when it comes to electronics. Panniertank with scenery. These are just two examples of the great many of us who have learnt so much and the excitement of watching various projects develop.
From the beginner to the expert, there is a place for us all to enjoy. For me? Well, I guess I'm a jack of all trades in a way! From working on real trains to having a brief go at N gauge. Yes, I've tried a few different scales and gauges over the years! It is what gave me the idea for this thread as many of us have tried various things and can offer our experiences to those new in the hobby. For me, I mentioned that I could have saved myself a huge amount of money by not going buzzerk and (At one time not so long ago) ending up with so many locos and rolling stock that it was getting a little silly, so this is my main advice. Keep it small and simple rather then plan massive projects which never get completed.
One of the main issues I've had in the past are along the lines of constantly changing plans either due to filling layouts with track where there was no room for anything else, or because of moving house or the need to change rooms. It was a case that each change meant start again where all ones efforts are torn apart.
When my income dropped to nothing, or next to nothing I moved to 7mm narrow gauge and I started building a small portable layout due to a future pending house move. I wanted something I could take with me and didnt have to tear apart, and I also wanted a little project to keep me busy. Wow! I've been on this little project for a good while and I've had so much fun, and I've not even reached the train running stage or the secnic stage yet. I've had so much out of it making track and building locos and rolling stock etc. Its all been so much fun.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 06:02 PM   #16
Bazil

Bazil is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkerbarge View Post
I did, I believe the model currently doing the show circuit of the Forth Road Bridge is in 'z' gauge. Staggering! I had to remove my glasses to see the locos!
I saw that and it is an amazing model. The small scale certainly makes something on that scale possible.
The one thing about it was the motion of the trains was very on/off. They started and stopped abruptly from full speed, no doubt that will improve as motor technology improves. But then I think the micro scales like Z are more about having something moving in the setting than it is about the trains.
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 06:13 PM   #17
yelrow

i have 3, Z locos, all very elderly and very smooth. A lot of it, is to do with the controller. Would love more, but we have to eat. john
Old 16-06-2018, 07:19 PM   #18
4VEP
Hornby Collector

4VEP is on a distinguished road

An 'expert' in model railways can be defined as being a beginner who has made every conceivable mistake! I am currently changing the trackplan because of things I wished I had done differently.

I did not make the mistake of constructing a gargantuan layout all the way round the room - it's only on a 4'x7' baseboard.

The first mistake was to construct a terminus. I am now making it a through station.
The second mistake was to have points which were out of reach of the operator. I have now made it so all the points are at the front of the baseboard and in easy reach.
The third mistake was to create a representation of a double track using 3rd and 4th radius curves. I have now made it using 1st and 2nd radius - this gives the impression of a busy mainline station in a small space. The inner track has a tank loco and a couple of carriages. The 3rd radius curve has been dispensed with and the outer track is 4th radius which gives more track side space. The signal box is now in a more sensible location beside the level crossing and all the sidings have been dispensed with. This means it is possible to have 3 trains running with no risk of a collision.

What have you changed on your layout?
Old 16-06-2018, 07:39 PM   #19
yelrow

Gosh it would be quicker to list what I have not changed. I enjoy constantly changing things. That’s the part I enjoy best. No interest in scenery or landscape. Currently putting together a n gauge layout, bought complete, but dismantled. It was DCC, with reverse loop, so learning about insulated joiners. First use of polystyrene, all a big learning curve. John
Old 16-06-2018, 08:33 PM   #20
Bulleidboy

Bulleidboy is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure that I would change much. I'd certainly pre-wire certain areas that are now hard to get at. I'm happy with an end-to-end layout - to get a decent radius on the bends to go around the room would have meant starting the curve a fair way down each side of the 10x7 room. Now if I had a bigger room!