Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Track Layout & Design

Track Layout & Design Help with designing your track work

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 11:48 AM   #1
mavis hawkins

mavis hawkins is on a distinguished road
Smile Looking for help regarding a 00 track layout

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and my son Jason (hello!) is helping me write this blog. Over a year ago now, my husband (now deceased) commissioned a small family business to create an 'L' shaped layout that would fit in our living room.

Sadly, it wasn't completed before he died and I have the partially built layout still at home, stored in the garage. In order to better understand what exactly I have, I'd like to ask a question or two on the forum. My husband was the railway enthusiast and so it's all new to me.

I would very much like to sell it, but, as you may know, I would need a minimum of 10 blog postings to advertise here, so, perhaps by asking a few questions about my layout and, if there are people 'out there' kind enough to respond, I could learn more about the design I have whilst also hopefully clocking up a blog count for a possible advert posting.

To be honest, we have no idea how much it's worth now in its incomplete condition, or whether it's the sort of thing anyone will even want to buy. But what I do know is how much it cost us to get it where it is and that the work has been done with the greatest of care by someone that clearly loves their work.

Anyway, I'd like to start with a question about the type of layout it was intended to be. It's been designed for a simplified points control system that controls the points with DC supply only. I realise this means less wiring and, as the name suggests, a simplified method of controlling the points; the notes say it has a DC analogue layout, but can easily convert to DCC if required.

Does this mean it's all digital and therefore not a traditional sort of model railway set up?

Mavis (and Jason).

Last edited by mavis hawkins; 02-06-2018 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:50 PM   #2
Pedros

Pedros is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry to hear about your husband. I'm sure that if you ask questions, people on this fine forum will help. From what you say, simply put,the layout appears to be analogue (DC) but could be easily altered to DCC (digital).

It might help if you were to give more details of what you have got in terms of what size the layout is, how it is made and what track is laid, what sort of work has been done as regards scenery (if any) and whether there are any buildings, either railway related (stations/platforms/signal boxes etc.) or otherwise (houses, shops, churches, factories or whatever). Assuming you will be selling them, perhaps a list of what locomotives and rolling stock there is could also be useful. As well as getting enough posts to be able to put your layout for sale on here, there are often adverts in model railway magazines that offer to either buy layouts and stock or to auction them. However, I have no personal information on how good these are and what sort of prices can be realised by choosing this method. You might want to consider selling things separately, that might be a better option financially, but of course would entail more work on your behalf, which you may not want. It maybe a good idea to have photos of what you have that you could, in the fullness of time post to give those potentially interested an idea.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:22 PM   #3
mavis hawkins

Dear Pedros,

Thanks ever so much for replying to our posting. I'm responding on behalf of my mother (Mavis). We deliberately didn't give too many details about the layout as we didn't want the posting to actually BE an advert, not wanting to violate the forum rules. The layout is really still in its early stages of development with track laid on bare wooden boards 10' x 7', which forms an 'L' shape to fit in the corner of a room. All the electrical components are in place and I understand it only needs a control box to complete it. There's various track references on the paper work (e.g, SL-100 Peco Flexi, SL-E86 right hand curve) and it has a PECO 00 gauge turntable and motorising set. We don't have any other accessories (locomotives or rolling stock) as these were sold separately.

I've noticed your suggestions too, about railway magazines and although we've considered these and responded to several adds from people who 'deconstruct' layouts, we haven't heard anything from them. (Actually, we'd rather not sell it for deconstruction if we can possibly help it).

Thanks again Petros, and also for your condolences regarding my mother's husband (my step dad).

Jason.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:00 PM   #4
ians
Talkative Member

ians is on a distinguished road

Photos speak better than a thousand words.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:31 PM   #5
Bunkerbarge

Bunkerbarge is on a distinguished road

Anything that was built as DC can be converted to DCC with a little bit of work. There is usually more wiring required for DC than DCC but it depends on how it has been done.

I think the first thing you can do is identify just what you have and, as has been said, pictures will be a huge help. If you still have the original boxes for things then photographs of the box ends with the label clearly readable would be useful.

A good start would be to lay everything out on the floor and take some pictures of it. If you cannot do that then ask someone to assist you with taking digital pictures and posting them on here.

If in doubt ask, there are plenty of willing and very capable members here who can help.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:29 PM   #6
mavis hawkins

Thank you too, for your comments. We don't have any boxes (except for the motor for the turntable) as the layout was built elsewhere and delivered to us, but if you think adding photos doesn't breach the advertising rule then we'll aim to do that. We do actually have some photos already as we produced a flyers some months ago.

Jason (for Mavis)
Old 02-06-2018, 08:26 PM   #7
mavis hawkins

Many thanks for the comment about the pictures. We're still learning about how to use the forum and didn't want to violate the advertising rule. We hope to be able to include photos in due course.

Jason (and Mavis).
Old 02-06-2018, 02:36 PM   #8
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Many on here prefer DC to DCC, and others prefer DCC to DC. It is relatively easy to convert a DC layout to DCC but to convert from DCC to DC usually requires a total rewire. Fortunately yours is the easiest way round.
I think it is a good idea to add photographs of what you have. Some things are relatively easy to price and other things are difficult to price even for the more experienced, but dont let this put you off as if it is built well it shouldnt be too difficult to find a new home.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 02-06-2018 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:46 PM   #9
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

Total rewire for DCC to DC is not correct.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:33 PM   #10
mavis hawkins

That's really encouraging, thank you. It seems the consensus is to post some pictures, so I'll speak to my mother in due course and we'll try and get some up.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply.

Jason (for Mavis).
Closed Thread