Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Members layouts

Members layouts Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects

Old 30-03-2017, 12:08 AM   #1
BigTed

BigTed is on a distinguished road
Default A dated modern layout

I feel a little unqualified to post here as I have no layout.

I do, however, have lots of plans and a hole in my bank account quickly approaching 2k.

As I've posted before, the whole basis for any layout I'm creating now is the train sets I had as a youngster, so it's all about the Lima Class 55 and early InterCity.

As such I've been trawling eBay to build up a collection to complement what was salvaged from my Dad's loft, as well as making plans for a loft layout.

The hard work on that should start next week, photos and videos promised.

I've been quite enjoying taking old locos apart and cleaning them up - I've fitted one with a CD motor and most recently been playing with directional LEDs.

Despite a backward leaning, I'm going DCC as I work in IT and the configuration part of it is as appealing as anything else.

So I'm slowly working through what must now be 20 locos, putting DCC harnesses in them and preparing them for their new vocation.

I'm planning a 2 level affair so with the incline in mind everything will be consist based I suspect. Power cars on both ends of InterCity 125 trains; I've bought 3 APTs (probably my favourite) so I can put a couple of power cars in; same for 225s and I've got hold of a second Deltic for help dragging carriages up the hill.

Beyond that - well, let's see!
BigTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 12:41 AM   #2
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you are in for a lot of fun. Look forward to seeing your progress. Don't forget the 225 only had power at one end so won't need two power cars, but maybe you didn't mean that.
Old 30-03-2017, 07:20 AM   #3
Teedoubleudee

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

Sounds great Ted, Looking forward to following your progress
Old 30-03-2017, 07:26 AM   #4
RogerB

RogerB is on a distinguished road

Hello Ted, you should have lots of fun with that. Keep us up to date. R
Old 30-03-2017, 08:03 AM   #5
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Tinker is on a distinguished road

Hi Ted, converting older loco's to DCC, i did a Class 56 Dapol brand and while the Decoder went in easily getting the dcc to it with one bogie doing each rail, the cure buy (cost 10) a modern Hornby Bogie already fitted for DCC and fit it the other end to the motor bogie.....
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 08:16 AM   #6
BigTed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Hi Ted, converting older loco's to DCC, i did a Class 56 Dapol brand and while the Decoder went in easily getting the dcc to it with one bogie doing each rail, the cure buy (cost 10) a modern Hornby Bogie already fitted for DCC and fit it the other end to the motor bogie.....
Thanks I'll look into that.

I do have a little test track in my office, which has been turned into some kind of solder-fumed train pit, and the 125s are not running all that badly on it. I'm also hoping that as most of the old stuff will be teamed up with a motorised unit at each end, hopefully one stalled loco might get a nudge or pull from the other when needed.

@Walkingthedog thanks I did not know about the 225s. I don't know much about real trains, truth be told. I'm of the mindset that I don't want to get too distracted about a realistic or accurate reflection of railways as I don't know enough about them anyway. I think it will be a blissfully ignorant layout that would drive the purist absolutely up the wall.

But I'll be happy.
Old 30-03-2017, 08:22 AM   #7
Teedoubleudee

Teedoubleudee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTed View Post
Thanks I'll look into that.

......................... I'm of the mindset that I don't want to get too distracted about a realistic or accurate reflection of railways as I don't know enough about them anyway. I think it will be a blissfully ignorant layout that would drive the purist absolutely up the wall.

But I'll be happy.
I'm with you all the way on that one Ted!
Old 30-03-2017, 08:43 AM   #8
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

The 225 has a loco at one end pulling or pushing and a cab, DVT Driving Van Trailer, at the other end, no power.
Old 30-03-2017, 08:36 PM   #9
BigTed

So a lot of measuring up today has brought me to a point where I have an idea of dimensions.

It'll be up on the loft, between trusses, so looking at a roundy roundy donut type affair.

4m long on the long side, and around 80cm wide.

The short ends will be around 2.4m long and width to be decided as it'll be slotting baseboard into truss spaces.

A good size for a beginner I think.

Been looking at baseboards. 9mm outdoot ply looked a bit flimsy - should I go 12mm for the base?
Old 30-03-2017, 10:09 PM   #10
Tinker
Motive Power Supervisor

Tinker is on a distinguished road

Bracing on the sides of the ply make a difference, i used 1/2" ply just depends on you budget....
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote