Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > General Modelling

General Modelling Use this area for modelling items that don't fit elsewhere

Old 15-06-2018, 09:59 PM   #1
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default If you started again in the hobby, what would you do different?

For me I would go straight to doing what I do now. I'd have saved myself thousands of pounds and had so much fun. I've not had this much satisfaction and fun from the hobby as I'm having now!
The problem is that I needed to spend years of trying different things before I found 7mm narrow gauge in 0-16.5 freelance form, and I had to go through that to find out I prefer this, if that makes sense!
And while I enjoyed exploring into DCC, I prefer very simply constructed DC that I can make myself and understand how I've made it.
There's a few things I'd not do today that I've done in the past. I'd not spend huge amounts of cash buying countless models which have rarely come out of the box, and what I could make myself I would.
(I am however greatful for the many years I've been in this hobby as every bit has taught me things).
Anyway, over to you lot...
Would you do things differently?
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 10:12 PM   #2
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

Id run O gauge.
Old 15-06-2018, 10:49 PM   #3
Bunkerbarge

Bunkerbarge is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't have set myself such a large layout. I would have started with something much smaller. The trouble is I really do not like end to end layouts so making a loop with any sort of credibility pushes you towards as large a layout as you can fit into the room.

Maybe an end to end with a large return fiddle yard might have saved myself a huge amount of scenery work. Anyway I'm now committed so must plough on!

I would have liked to go 'O' gauge but one glance at the prices of rolling stock is enough to put me off.
Bunkerbarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 07:21 AM   #4
Mixed Signals

Mixed Signals is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkerbarge View Post
I wouldn't have set myself such a large layout. I would have started with something much smaller.
I concur with this. I went for a 20ft x 7ft layout first time out. I thought I has done all the planning and research necessary to get the project started.

The one thing I hadn't considered was which elements of the hobby I would find most enjoyable to do. Is it just running trains or building a huge collection of stock or scenery work etc etc.

If I had started with a small layout, I would have discovered the answer much quicker and then could have tailored my bigger layout much better.
Mixed Signals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 10:51 PM   #5
Mountain Goat
Unique Member.

Mountain Goat is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice. I like 0 gauge. Never had 0 gauge other then its narrow gauge form which I enjoy at present. There is something nice and chunky about it.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 11:02 PM   #6
Bazil

Bazil is on a distinguished road

I'd not get into the hobby again in the first place. But I'm here now.

Seriously, the thing I'd do differently is not buy expensive new things and just stick to older stuff. Probably set a budget and stick to it as it isn't my main hobby.
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 08:54 AM   #7
Bunkerbarge

Bunkerbarge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Goat View Post
Nice. I like 0 gauge. Never had 0 gauge other then its narrow gauge form which I enjoy at present. There is something nice and chunky about it.
I think as you get older you naturally have preferences for larger scales as they are that little bit easier to model and certainly easier to see! Obviously you can go to deeper levels of detail with larger scales but there is something more satisfying with a larger model in your hand.

When I was a teenager I worked in a model shop on Saturdays and built an Airfix 1/72nd aircraft kit most Saturday evenings and into Sundays. Have you seen how small a 1/72nd model fighter kit is!!!? Anyone who works with 'n' gauge has my undying respect.
Bunkerbarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 09:02 AM   #8
Panniertank

Panniertank is on a distinguished road

This is a great thread M.G!

If I started again now, but knew every thing I had learned over the past 9 months, I would do O gauge in DCC with sound rather than oo in analogue.

I had always fancied doing O gauge but the costs of locos put me off. Now thanks to the likes of Dapol O gauge is very affordable.
Old 16-06-2018, 08:28 AM   #9
yelrow

yelrow is an unknown quantity at this point

Specialize, have,Z’N,Tt,3rail, dc, and DCC, layouts, each offering different challenges. I would, if 30 years younger and starting, settle for z gauge. Its an amazing sight.john
yelrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 08:49 AM   #10
whizzo

whizzo is on a distinguished road

HI all ,spend a lot more time --and decide on which scale, I was going to be happy with -taking into account the space time and money - start small as money allows but stick to the plan -- not as I have done have 2 or 3 different scales -- old heads and all that regards Dave
whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote