Model Railway Forum

Go Back   Model Railway Forum > Model Railway Construction > Wiring & Electronics > Other

Old 27-11-2017, 07:01 PM   #11
Nokonium

Nokonium is on a distinguished road

Decoders are Alpha via Alpha switches to Cobalt IP Digital point motors. Point motors will be powered from the track, I had assumed that as DC voltage is lower than DCC that leaving them connected without any commands to change them would be OK. Switching the DCC out will also switch out the Alpha controls.
Nokonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 07:10 PM   #12
cadman

cadman is on a distinguished road

Nokonium.........there is no voltage on the DC track unless you turn up a DC controller to drive a loco so you can't drive a point motor from the DC track as you can from a DCC layout where there is a constant 16v AC irrespective of whether a controller is turned up or not........HB
cadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 08:24 PM   #13
Nokonium

With the DCC off I wasn't expecting to be able to change the points, which is why I stated earlier to set the points to straight on before switching.
Old 27-11-2017, 09:05 PM   #14
Steve M
Contrarian

Steve M is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokonium View Post
With the DCC off I wasn't expecting to be able to change the points, which is why I stated earlier to set the points to straight on before switching.
But as was said earlier, the point decoders will still be attached to the track via the track bus and applying DC to the track may cause damage or may trigger the points in a random manner.
Please accept this in the manner it is offered but you may be trying to do things with your layout that are beyond your current level of knowledge and understanding. I would suggest you do a bit more research before you make an expensive mistake.
Separate your point control on to a accessory bus and completely isolate it from your DCC track bus. Switch your track between dc and DCC using a DPDT switch and you can operate either type of loco and still control your points via DCC.
Old 28-11-2017, 08:36 AM   #15
Bulleidboy

Bulleidboy is on a distinguished road

A very similar question on Hornby Forum yesterday - with the same advice given!
Old 29-11-2017, 02:29 PM   #16
Ginger The Hutt
The Token Ginger

Ginger The Hutt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokonium View Post
Anyone else done this? I have no intention of risking DDC locos on anything D.C.
Yes.

I am doing this.

And as stated by others in this thread, it's complicated and potentially expensive if you get it wrong.

Absolutely everything needs to be carefully planned out.

I plan to have two main lines with switchable DC/DCC depending on how the mood takes me, or my son. I'll have a raft of sidings, which will unless carefully accessed will be electrically isolated from the mainlines. The two main lines, will be electrically isolated from each other at the several cross overs/junctions. Points are a special pain in the butt to work out and isolate correctly.

As stated above, some DCC fitted trains can run on DC. But this is rare, especially in an off the shelf product. On more expensive decoders, it becomes more common place. So unless you have upgraded all your decoders and set them to accept DC input, I personally wouldn't recommend you try it.

If you want to run different trains, and you're not sure of your capabilities: I would advise that you run digital trains, when you want digital trains. Then clear the tracks completely and disconnect the digital controller, whilst simultaneously isolating any digital products that may take power from the tracks: point decoders, turntables etc. Then put in your DC controller and run one DC train.
Old 29-11-2017, 02:56 PM   #17
Nokonium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
But as was said earlier, the point decoders will still be attached to the track via the track bus and applying DC to the track may cause damage or may trigger the points in a random manner.
Please accept this in the manner it is offered but you may be trying to do things with your layout that are beyond your current level of knowledge and understanding. I would suggest you do a bit more research before you make an expensive mistake.
Separate your point control on to a accessory bus and completely isolate it from your DCC track bus. Switch your track between dc and DCC using a DPDT switch and you can operate either type of loco and still control your points via DCC.
Thank you, I am most definitely trying to do things beyond my current level of knowledge and understanding, I'm completely green and that is why I've joined this forum so that I can get help from peeps who do know about what I'm asking. Essentially I'll have to tell my friend that until I have the means to isolate all the DCC equipment I cannot run any DC loco's apart from the Santa special on its own track around the Christmas tree
Old 29-11-2017, 02:58 PM   #18
Walkingthedog
Part time idiot

Walkingthedog is on a distinguished road

You've got something wrong there GTH. Almost all DCC locos run perfectly on DC, especially off the shelf. They only fail to run on DC if DC running has been disabled and this is not the norm with Bachmann, Hornby, Heljan and Dapol to name but four.

I have quite a few DCC locos on my DC layout and the run perfectly, one even with sound.

To reiterate: DCC locos will not be damaged by DC and will run perfectly.
DC locos will be damaged by DCC and should be kept well away.

Last edited by Walkingthedog; 29-11-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Walkingthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 03:39 PM   #19
Ginger The Hutt
The Token Ginger

Ginger The Hutt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthedog View Post
You've got something wrong there GTH. Almost all DCC locos run perfectly on DC, especially off the shelf. They only fail to run on DC if DC running has been disabled and this is not the norm with Bachmann, Hornby, Heljan and Dapol to name but four.

I have quite a few DCC locos on my DC layout and the run perfectly, one even with sound.

To reiterate: DCC locos will not be damaged by DC and will run perfectly.
DC locos will be damaged by DCC and should be kept well away.
I'll be checking my stock DCC locos then. I would have sworn blind they don't have DC running capability.
Old 29-11-2017, 04:13 PM   #20
Steve M
Contrarian

Steve M is on a distinguished road

DCC fitted (from the manufacturer) will almost certainly be DC enabled. That may not be the case if the decoder is fitted by a third party.
Some N gauge decoders don't have this facility though.